4.7L Stroker help

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
spyder6

4.7L Stroker help

Post by spyder6 »

Hey guys

New to the forum, not new to Jeeps. Reelem in Rubi recommended me to this site from Jeepforum.com.

basically im in the process of aquireing parts for my unfortunately drawn out stroker build. i currently have a 12 Counterweight crankshaft that is NOS and Federal Mogul main and rod bearings and a Hesco damper spacer for my long snout crank.

to help with the process i have a 2006 Jeep, with 25k on the clock, so most of the internals are pretty new. Im looking to build a stroker with maximum reliability and good power, i want to do this right so cash isnt really an issue with this but i would like to save money where i can to keep wasteful spending down. my current plans were to reuse my factory 4.0 rods and have the head polished and ported. i know there isnt too much you can remove from the head, but every little bit helps. basically im looking for some pointers on a good direction for this build.

my original intentions were to get the remaining parts from Hesco once i had an allotted amount of money to buy them, but im sure you guys have other ideas! I have read that you can use a special piston design to squeeze 4.8L out of the motor without boring the block anymore, has anyone done this? if its just a simple piston change i would be all for it.

thanks! Will

my beloved 12CW crank :)
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: 4.7L Stroker help

Post by SilverXJ »

If you want to reuse your 4.0L rods you need withe the KB944 pistons of customs. What is this special 4.8L piston you speak of? I don't see how a piston can give you greater displacement as it is mostly made up of the stroke of the crank and bore.

As for keeping costs down, you could get the deluxe porting kit from standard abrasives and P&P the head yourself.. since you have the it you could then polish your rods.
spyder6

Post by spyder6 »

i misread the information about the 4.8L i completely skipped over that you had to bore to 4.0". being on that topic, how common is it to do a 4.8L stroker and how reliable is it?

i knew off the bat that i would have to have custom pistons made. are the KB944 pistons of good quality? do many use them off this forum?

to keep with reliability i was planning on using the factory camshaft as i know all the aftermarket cams have significantly less surface area than the factory cam shaft. any thoughts on this? ive heard of people snapping aftermarket cam shafts, with that i had someone recommend to me that i call Comp Cams or Crane and ask them if they could enlarge the surface area of the lobes and make a cam from Billet.

is there anything anyone feels like im missing? any info or comments is a plus to me and in a step in the right direction for this.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Muad'Dib »

spyder6 wrote:i misread the information about the 4.8L i completely skipped over that you had to bore to 4.0". being on that topic, how common is it to do a 4.8L stroker and how reliable is it?
x2
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!