First post noob. New 4.7 going in and I'm stoked

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Shapoopie99
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: WJ

First post noob. New 4.7 going in and I'm stoked

Post by Shapoopie99 »

Just saying hi to all. I have used this page as a resource to get my stroker built and now is the time.
My 4.0 disintegrated a piston and there was no other choice but to go big or go home.

Thanks for all the research and info used

ShaPoops
Shapoopie99
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Re: First post noob. New 4.7 going in and I'm stoked

Post by Shapoopie99 »

Here's another

Totally disintigrated number one

jasonb
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by jasonb »

Looks real nice! Tell us a little about the build.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

jasonb wrote:Looks real nice! Tell us a little about the build.
x2
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Shapoopie99
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Shapoopie99 »

I looked around the interwebs and was going to go with an ATK longblock but actually found a manufacturer here in eastern Washington that does almost the same build for more the a grand cheaper and provides a 7 year 100k warranty.

~ Jeep 4.2L 3.895" stroke crank
~ Jeep 4.0L 6.123" rods
~ Keith-Black Icon IC944 +0.030" bore pistons
~ Increase piston dish volume to 30cc
8.8:1 CR
~ Crane #750501 192/204 degree camshaft
~ 1.91"/1.50" cylinder head
~ Mill block deck 0.035"
~ Mopar Performance 0.043" head gasket
~ 0.058" quench height
~ 2.25" exhaust
~hesco hi flow oil pump
~flowkooler water pump
~hesco hi flow Tstat housing
~flowdaddy SS header

Staying with stock injectors, FPR and TB for now as my budget is maxed for the break in period then going to go to a 64mm conversion and larger injectors.

Long block was quoted with the short rods and silvolite pistons but I ended up with the IC944 and long rods because they had them in stock for the build the reman process is amazing and the builder has four webisodes on you tube showing their reman process so I felt very comfortable buying from them.
I usually do most everything myself but this time I need it to really last so I found a great mechanic who does clean thorough work to swap it in for me.
I am also replacing tons of stuff while the engine is out that was starting to wear.
Torque convertor, tranny and Tcase seals, all motor and tranny mounts, transgo shift kit and solenoids, steering gear, radiator, all hoses.
I'm sure there is more that I am forgeting.
Their Rep Casey Fulks was amazing with responding too my question and inquiry's

https://www.sandjengines.com/rebuilt-au ... onID=10681
99jeepxj
Vehicle Model: Xj

Post by 99jeepxj »

That's sweet you found a deal like that. I'm looking at buying one also either a 4.6 or 4.7. I was checking into golen one and also one from Russell pottinger. How was the company to deal with?
Shapoopie99
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Shapoopie99 »

S&J engines was great to work with.
Check out their website and watch the you tube webisodes.
I'm lucky that they are where I live. I think a warranty is not only a great thing to have but shows how much faith that the company has in their manufacturing process and product that the build.

Here is the sales rep I worked with. You can also add custom features during the build and keep the warranty intact.

Casey Fulks
S & J Engines, Inc.
Spokane, WA 99201
800\942.7800 Ext 302
www.sandjengines.com
99jeepxj

Post by 99jeepxj »

I had Casey send me a detailed email with what parts they use. My only killer is that it's on making 231hp and 321 for torque. I checked with golen and they are 270hp and 324 for torque.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

99jeepxj wrote:I had Casey send me a detailed email with what parts they use. My only killer is that it's on making 231hp and 321 for torque. I checked with golen and they are 270hp and 324 for torque.
Compression is on the mild side as is the cam. Don`t expect this to be anything but a torque engine.

Your trusting an add from Golen with there reputable numbers ?........No..........
Shapoopie99
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Shapoopie99 »

I think Casey will work with you to add custom features like a different cam grind as well as porting and polishing and other things. This build is totally compatable with stock Injectors and fuel systems as well as pump gas. If you were to change all those the upgrade parts I would think it would reach the numbers posted by golen and atk.
I agree the atk and golen post larger numbers but as my DD that I want to pass down to my son I am more interested in longevity and bang for my buck.
Anyway I slice it its going to be leagues ahead of my 230k mile 4.0 and because it was local to me I saved a grip on shipping.
99jeepxj

Post by 99jeepxj »

Yeah I don't mind running bigger injectors and premium fuel I don't daily drive mine too much
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

Shapoopie99 wrote: This build is totally compatable with stock Injectors and fuel systems as well as pump gas.
Those two items are not a performance "upgrade", but rather what the engine needs to survive. If you are running lean on WOT with too small of an injector the engine will not be happy. Tulliped valves, melted pistons, etc. The fuel grade selection is in the same league. If too low of an octane for the compression ratio the engine will detonate.

I suggest putting an wide band AFR gauge on to see what its really doing as well as looking at the injector duty cycle.
Shapoopie99
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Shapoopie99 »

My installer is going to run it through a whole diagnostic and setup so hopefully all that will be good. I'm planning on replacing all that after the break in period.
The builder quoted HP and TQ numbers with the stock fuel system so I hopefully won't have any problems
jsawduste
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

Unless your "installer" has a crystal ball. Simply relying on a stock fuel system and hoping it suffices during the critical break in is foolish.

Maybe it will work/maybe it won`t. Perhaps he has the capability to change the cal and injector duty cycle I dunno.

What I do know is that the engine should be set up right the first time before it is ever lit off.

While I hope everything works out for you the specs of your engine is certainty not how many of us would put one together.
Shapoopie99
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Shapoopie99 »

Well now I'm gonna get more nervous. :frustrated:
Why would a reputable builder in my area who does a hundred or so a year that has great reviews in the PAC NW build this with good parts and then warranty it for 7 years if it is a piece of crap.
I can't wait to get it and review it for their sake and mine. Also for some people on this board that want a good option that doesn't need tons of tweaking but may respond well to it if that's where they want to go.
I have some faith that S&J know what they are doing with offering this build.
I was going to get the atk baja beast but with shipping would have cost me over 2500 more and why would I go about trying to build / machine one myself when I can have one with a 7 year warranty. I could have had a hotter cam or some headwork done but I need this to be good for a longtime. It seems that a lot of home builds burn up or crap out in less then 80k. I cant and won't take that risk.
The builder quotes there figures with late model stock injectors and fpr and I'm happy with those numbers.
I guess I just cross my fingers and hope it runs but I don't think it will come to that.