Flogging the wee wee out of a Jeep 4.0 I6

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Plechtan
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 5.0L 4x4
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Re: Flogging the wee wee out of a Jeep 4.0 I6

Post by Plechtan »

I was working on the Timing belt drive as well, but allot of issues. I did come across some other information tha will help with a low cost gear setup. The cam to crank spacing on the jeep is the same as the ford Fe, 351C Olds 455. Chevy 348-409, and a few others.
Milodon makes a 3 gear setup. Part numbers are 14500 for the Fe, 14200 cor the 351C 1400 for the olds. These would require a plate to hold the ideler gear. You coud probably use the template for the timing chain cover to make a 1/8" plate and just space the cover foward a little, you might need a spacer on the damper. Another wau to go would be to make a block that bolted to the bottom edge of the block right next to the main cap to hold the idler gear.
Edelebrock makes a setup similar to the old Chrysler 4 gear setup Part number 7896 for the 351C .

In both cases you dould have to do some work on the crank and cam attachment points. The milidon uses a bolted hub on the Cam, so it would be easy to make a new one. you may have to make a sleeve for the crank to get it big enough. The edeleborck does not have a hub on the cam and would require machining.
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds Fastest Comanche Prroject
John
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by John »

I am still doing some checking but I think the Olds rocket 350 is the same dimension and timing gear sets are available for them as well.
John
SIXPAK
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 280

Post by SIXPAK »

My belt drive should be done within a month or so. Just bought a BBC unit and adapting it over. BTW, Jesel is coming out with a Ford FE unit that uses the BBC pulley/belt combo. Danny Bee makes one for the Ford FE also but I chose to go with CV products set up with the roller cam hub.
BTW John, AFIAK there is nobody baking a belt drive for the Olds Rocket, I called BOP Engineering.
John

Post by John »

Sixpak, I was actually thinking of a old howler timing gear set. Like this http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku.
John
amcinstaller
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

depending on the crank that you use, you may not need any spacers of any kind. on some cranks, the nose is about 10mm longer, that should be sufficient length to house these id think. but then again, im no engineer.
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
TurboTom
I made it to triple digits!

Post by TurboTom »

A gear drive is the LAST thing I will put on my engine.. I want to make HP not noise. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As long as you realise you need an Idler pulley on the belt drive, the pulley choice gets easy.

Ain't nothin a mill and a lathe can't fix
Remember, Sometimes I post after drinking!
1979 AMC Spirit
Building a Turbo 2.5
I am not very smart!
SIXPAK
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 280

Post by SIXPAK »

True Dat!
TurboTom

Post by TurboTom »

Got to work on some engine stuff this week
First we balanced the crank. I must say everyone was impressed with the factory balance job.
Less than 3 grams @ 3". With very little work we got it down to Less than 1gram @ 1"

My friend Steve is always up for a Photo Op ;D

Started porting on the head, Not looking to strike water, just clening up the worst stuff. Of course I still have to do the valve job and blend everything in.

Stock Port

Better Port

I am waiting on a Torque plate and then I will fit the new pistons
1979 AMC Spirit
Building a Turbo 2.5
I am not very smart!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Where are you getting tthe torque plate from?
TurboTom

Post by TurboTom »

SilverXJ wrote:Where are you getting tthe torque plate from?
It was made by BHJ part# AM-6.
1979 AMC Spirit
Building a Turbo 2.5
I am not very smart!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Wish I had known that was available. I asked Hesco about one and they no longer sell them and have one for their use only.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

Does using a torque plate make that much of a difference on a steet engine? I know they are good to use if available. I have built many engines, but most of them being odd ball engines(amc 304,401 Ford 352,360 amc 196, Olds 389,455) and most machine shops don't have torque plates for them, so I have no referance on what to expect or how much a block gets distorted when a head is bolted on.
TurboTom

Post by TurboTom »

dwg86 wrote:Does using a torque plate make that much of a difference on a steet engine? I know they are good to use if available. I have built many engines, but most of them being odd ball engines(amc 304,401 Ford 352,360 amc 196, Olds 389,455) and most machine shops don't have torque plates for them, so I have no referance on what to expect or how much a block gets distorted when a head is bolted on.
Some engines I have worked on move around alot with a torque plate. I have seen them pinch the bore as much as .002" across head bolts.
I will measure the bore before and after the plate, to see how much the 4.0 is affected.
1979 AMC Spirit
Building a Turbo 2.5
I am not very smart!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

TurboTom wrote: I will measure the bore before and after the plate, to see how much the 4.0 is affected.
That would be good info to know.
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

It occures to me I should just google this but what exactly goes into making a torque plate, I know it's use and function, what I mean is, does it need to accurately simulate the rigidity of the head itself, or is it just a machined steel plate of arbitrary stiffness with the proper holes for the head bolts and bores to allow the hone through?

I wonder how much of the torque plate's function is simply being something for the bolt head to torque up to and pull upward on the block threads thus distorting the bores... Versus the actual rigidity of the plate itself exerting upward stress on the block deck...

If the rigidity is arbitrary then anyone with a drill press and a 4" hole saw could make a torque plate... We could pass it around from build to build, charging only shipping + a couple bucks (maybe 20 or 30 bucks total) to defray the initial steel cost and labor and have a reasonable loaner tool deposit that would be refunded each time it got returned. $20-$30 versus buying a torque plate for one use, or just going without... I think I'd pay the $20-30.
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.