Tedo's carbureted 4.6 stroker

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
Tedo44YJ
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Wrangler
Vehicle Model: YJ

Re: Tedo's carbureted 4.6 stroker

Post by Tedo44YJ »

cuban11182 wrote:Looking forward to your build. I want to see how you wire the 4.0 alternator since we won't have computers to provide excitation to the field on the alternator. I'm building an external voltage regulator and will see if that work.

Great build so far though.
I ended up using all the dressings from the 4.2 so I didn't have to change my wiring. i nuttered it so it doesn't have the computer anymore and got a motorcraft 2150 and an hei distributor. So far it fires right up and stays running. Just have to let those forged internals warm up for a while
Tedo44YJ
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Tedo44YJ »

myillwillinc wrote:got any vids of it running?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLzkDrbjPLK/
There's the video of it running. Everyone go ahead and give me a follow on Instagram @t_daws44
Tedo44YJ
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Tedo44YJ »

Tedo44YJ wrote:got the engine back from the machine shop and installed the lower end with one piston to check the deck height for quench. i ended up taking it back to the shop to take .020" off the top for a quench height of .050" and a compression ratio of 9.61:1. Spent a lot of time researching and talking to a couple different machinist and found that the CR is fine to run pump gas and will be fine with 87 octane. Keep in mind i went with the 4.0 rods and icon premium forged ic944-040 pistion heads (bored .040" over).
Update!!!! I was pinging with 87 and switched to 92 octane and it runs fine with no pinging. More expensive but its my weekend warrior anyways.
joshm
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cj8

Post by joshm »

i really appreciate you sharing this build Tedo, im starting a build and will be going with a carb as well.
joshm
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by joshm »

couple of questions
did you use the stock cam?
do you recall the total you had milled off the block? you said the cut .020 more off, what was the first pass?
and did you have to get shorter pushrods?
thx
Tedo44YJ
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Tedo44YJ »

joshm wrote:couple of questions
did you use the stock cam?
do you recall the total you had milled off the block? you said the cut .020 more off, what was the first pass?
and did you have to get shorter pushrods?
thx
The total was .020. Sorry for the lack of clarification. Stock cam and stock push rods. I did tons of research on cams and it sounded like everyone had problems with aftermarket cams so I stuck with the stock to avoid any problems. Wasn't trying to get a ton of power out if it. Just a reliable stroker that had more ponies than a stock 4.0 or 4.2.

Update: bucked up and got a clifford intake so I can mount a 4bbl carb with a propane kit. With my higher compression propane will do me wonders and don't have to worry about steep inclines. Cleaner and meaner! I also have a best friend that owns a propane company down the road and can hook me up with great propane prices. Will post pictures in future. Stay tuned!
joshm
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by joshm »

awesome, im still deciding on the late model equal runner intake with a 2 barrel adapter, or the clifford four barrel intake and maybe a 500 cfm edelbrock carb. the edelbrocks have the vacume secondaries so itll be in 2 barrel mode 80-90% of the time. what carb are you wanting to run with the clifford Tedo?
itd probably be pointless but one day when i have a extra 1500 burning a hole in my pocket id love to have the duel weber clifford setup.
Tedo44YJ
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Tedo44YJ »

joshm wrote:awesome, im still deciding on the late model equal runner intake with a 2 barrel adapter, or the clifford four barrel intake and maybe a 500 cfm edelbrock carb. the edelbrocks have the vacume secondaries so itll be in 2 barrel mode 80-90% of the time. what carb are you wanting to run with the clifford Tedo?
itd probably be pointless but one day when i have a extra 1500 burning a hole in my pocket id love to have the duel weber clifford setup.
Ill stick with the motorcraft 2150 I have on here with an adapter to the clifford. I think a 4 barrel might be too much carb untill I get the head ported and polished. Was thinking about running a 4 barrel propane kit but I want to put money into other things before i do that. It runs great the way it is. Ain't broke don't fix it right?