Built aw4

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
mountaineerjeff
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.0
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Built aw4

Post by mountaineerjeff »

Well I guess my thread got lost in the update.
Looking for an option for building the aw4. I got hold of the guy that silverxj recommended and all he told me to do was throw a transformer kit in it. Kind of a dead end to be honest.

Anyone have any other leads for making the aw4 stronger and especially faster? Also looking for converter options as well. Just looking to get down the track as fast as possible, while holding together attached to a built motor.
build thread http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/offici ... ep-179516/

N/A 14.9@89
N2O 12.7@104
BADASYJ
Stroker Displacement: 4.7

Re: Built aw4

Post by BADASYJ »

Scrap your RICER tranny and put a TF999 or a TF904 in it. Best mod you will ever make.....
DaemonForce
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L Super
Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: American
Vehicle Model: Eagle

Post by DaemonForce »

I have a TF998 and it's the main reason for my T-5 swap. The problem with these torqueflite series transmissions is that they deliver really fast crisp shifts at the cost of efficient kinetic distribution. I have an unheard of lockup torque converter feature on an 83 which predates the jump to that package by a year. The only difference I see with the TF999 is the port for a crank trigger and possible solenoid control for the lockup. TF904 translates to the 2WD version of my transmission. Avoid.
   ,__,_____,__,       ~A-M-C YA!
//___}/,_ll,_\__\,_____
,l_/¯\_l__ll__l__/¯\(¤≡¤)
   (o))o))        (o))o))
BADASYJ

Post by BADASYJ »

The 999 is a non lockup three speed. Both 904 and 999 came in 4x4s. The difference between the 999 and 904 is the 999 has an extra clutch plate (6 compared to 5) and a lower first gear. I believe it's 2.74 compared to the 904s 2.54.
The 904/999 trannys have a good amount of aftermarket drag race parts and can be built super lightweight and extremely strong. They can handle anything the I6 is capable of putting out including with the use of power adders.
The only downfall I have come across on the TFs (and it's a big one for me) is that the vent is on the front pump cover so running deep water is n issue. If you run deep water (I'm talking water inside of jeep deep) the vent should be welded up and a new vent drilled and tapped on top of the case. No big deal when the tranny is out and apart.
I should also add it's a very simple and relatively cheap transmission to rebuild yourself with no crazy tools needed.
DaemonForce
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by DaemonForce »

I suppose handling anything from the L6 translates to about 6 months of light duty highway before it starts to randomly jerk, puke fluid and blow up, leaving you stranded. I remember my A998 1st gear is 2.72 and was shocked to learn that my reverse is 2.2, which explains how this gets stuck in a snow bank and won't even move the wheels(also geared at 2.72). No low option. :?

I notice the NP129 and NP229 vary in vent design, which is easy to plumb higher up to a vented cap in the engine bay, similar to the Dana 30. I've never seen the A-998 with a vent of any kind though.
//___}/,_ll,_\__\,_____
   (o))o))        (o))o))
BADASYJ

Post by BADASYJ »

I'm gonna assume the vent on the 998 would also be on the front pump cover. I like the idea of a lock up 904 type tranny. You said you are replacing it?
DaemonForce
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by DaemonForce »

Yeah. At first I wanted to go the A999 route just to eliminate the need to machine a port for a crank trigger, then I thought back to every 3spd automatic I've ever used and how they belong in NOTHING. I'm doing the manual swap. Haven't decided if I'm going to stick to stock or Supra gears but I'm going to have my hands full with the differential gears and firewall.
//___}/,_ll,_\__\,_____
   (o))o))        (o))o))
BADASYJ

Post by BADASYJ »

Well I would be interested in that 998 if you plan on getting rid of it.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Contact http://www.fringexvo.com/ https://www.facebook.com/Fringe-XVO-117167448383301/ He did a valve body upgrade on mine with a shift kit and some other modifications. He could probably also point you in the right directions for other internal upgrades. AW4 is plenty strong. No reason to swap it out for anything else.
amceaglesx4
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Vehicle Year: 1981
Vehicle Make: amc
Vehicle Model: eaglesx4

Post by amceaglesx4 »

I agree with silverxj. Like I said before the aw4 is pretty damn tough. How much torque are you running. Any quality trans shop should know what to do.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Most trans shops do not know anything about modifications to the AW4 valve body besides shift kits.
amceaglesx4
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Vehicle Year: 1981
Vehicle Make: amc
Vehicle Model: eaglesx4

Post by amceaglesx4 »

Yea Ill buy that. Its not a common c4 or c6. But there are one or two aw4's out there. Not really an uncommon trans. Actually to a trans guy they probably are because they never have one in their shop.
BADASYJ

Post by BADASYJ »

He's looking to get down the track faster. First off the aw4 sucks as a performance tranny, it might be fine for mall crawlers and keyboard wheelers but as stated before it sucks as a race tranny. A good high performance converter for the lockup tranny is gonna cost him around a $1000 and he still wont have full manual control over his shifts. It's also a heavy transmission with the overdrive unit hanging out back. The 999 can be equipped with a brand new full manual control valve body (forward or reverse) pattern, a high stall converter, and high performance rebuild kit for under a thousand dollars. Oh and it bolts right up to the motor and transfer case he has now. Lets help him out guys instead of telling him hes fine with what he has. He wants options, so let's give him options. Maybe we'll get more members on here if ya'll would help instead of hatin on peoples ideas.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

BADASYJ wrote: First off the aw4 sucks as a performance tranny, it might be fine for mall crawlers and keyboard wheelers but as stated before it sucks as a race tranny.
You probably want to tell all the Supra owners that are running it that too.
he still wont have full manual control over his shifts.
Complete manual control is pretty easy on the AW4.
Maybe we'll get more members on here if ya'll would help instead of hatin on peoples ideas.
There was no "hatin" going on. The only hating happening is you on the AW4.
BADASYJ

Post by BADASYJ »

Oh my bad Sliver, I should have known since the same type of transmission is put behind a two wheel drive toyota that weighs half of what our jeeps do must make it a performance tranny. Come on, full manual control, yeah by playing electrician and flipping switches. Not at all my idea of a performance tranny. Jeff wants to get down the track as fast as possible. The TF999 3 speed is a much better transmission to start with compared to the aw4 with overdrive, that is an unarguable fact. Especially being it's a damn near direct bolt in replacement. Ask any gearhead that knows trannys (and no not that kind) and they will tell you the same thing i did.
In my opinion, it is by far the best (performance minded) transmission ever put into a Jeep. Yes I am hatin on the aw4 ricer tranny, everything I stated is still true.