1.7 Roller rockers?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
lens_xj
Learning to use the board
Stroker Displacement: 4.0
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

1.7 Roller rockers?

Post by lens_xj »

I know some where there is a subject about putting in 1.7 roller rockers on a 4.0 but I have not been able to find it or them. so here it go's.
I have a 1998 xj it is some what modified, I have headers (torque tubes) 2.5 inch tubes all the way out, Gibson muffler and a high flow Cadillac converter, and 23# 4 hole injectors. I just got a 62mm TB last week, man I can really feel a big difference. my next step (I think) is to get a set of 1.7 steal roller rockers. My thinking is the torque should come on sooner and maybe get 10 or more foot lbs more then I have now. I know for about the same money I can get a cam but at this point in time I do not have a full day to spend on this (I may be slow but it is allays done right) . so that being said. do I need to get new springs or anything else with the 1.7 rockers. am I expecting to much? will it be worth it? then the heads; that can wait until a later date
thanks in advance for any advice you may be able to give.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: 1.7 Roller rockers?

Post by Russ Pottenger »

I'm a distributor for Harland Sharp and regularly use different ratios with different camshaft combos.

Feel free to shoot me an email or phone call.
I sell and stock them in 1.6, 1.65, and 1.7 ratios in both adjustable and non adjustable.

Thanks,
Russ
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
Work (626) 967-1000
Fax (626) 967-7836
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email/PayPal: [email protected]
lens_xj

Post by lens_xj »

now I know where I can get a good set, but is the 1.7 worth putting in and will it do what I am hopping it will do?
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster

Post by Russ Pottenger »

In most cases yes.
If your running a stock cam your springs should work fine, but always dubble check.
lens_xj

Post by lens_xj »

thanks. now that I know what to do you will hear from me in about 3 weeks. thanks for your help.
O yes. the cam is stock.
jeepxj3
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Model: xj

Post by jeepxj3 »

The 1.7 roller rockers will add 2-3* duration and 0.025" lift. Your jeap instead of falling on it's face at 3800-4200rpm it will carry out to 4600-4700rpm right where the auto shifts at. Well worth it, easy install.Non-adjustable ones cleared my stock valve cover.
lens_xj

Post by lens_xj »

grate. I was hopping this was not a pipe dream. with the this 4.0 being able to breath a little (no a lot ) better then stock. I was hoping after they were installed I might get the WOW feel at the seat of my pants . I am saving up now. :D

thanks for all your input and a good place to go to get these rockers.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

jeepxj3 wrote:The 1.7 roller rockers will add 2-3* duration and 0.025" lift. Your jeep instead of falling on it's face at 3800-4200rpm it will carry out to 4600-4700rpm right where the auto shifts at. Well worth it, easy install. Non-adjustable ones cleared my stock valve cover.
I don't think the effect will be that dramatic. Maybe a couple of hundred more rpm with the 1.7 ratio rockers and a couple of lbft more torque.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
lens_xj

Post by lens_xj »

well anything will help. a little here and a little there , it all adds up. I think if you were just to add the rockers on a stone stock 4.0 I would not see /feel as mush as I would with all the other things that I have on the 4.0 now (read the first post ) plus a high flow air system.
like I said it all adds up.
P.S. This will be at the end a 4.8 with a 4 inch crank on it.
I started from the back to the front now from the top down as funds allow.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L

Post by SilverXJ »

Cheromaniac wrote:I don't think the effect will be that dramatic. Maybe a couple of hundred more rpm with the 1.7 ratio rockers and a couple of lbft more torque.
Correct.
johnj92131
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by johnj92131 »

Forgive the off topic question, but please explain how you got or will get the 4 inch crank. What about pistons and rods to go along with the 4 inch crank? Thanks

lens_xj wrote:well anything will help. a little here and a little there , it all adds up. I think if you were just to add the rockers on a stone stock 4.0 I would not see /feel as mush as I would with all the other things that I have on the 4.0 now (read the first post ) plus a high flow air system.
like I said it all adds up.
P.S. This will be at the end a 4.8 with a 4 inch crank on it.
I started from the back to the front now from the top down as funds allow.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster

Post by Russ Pottenger »

The most common method to increase stroke on an existing crankshaft is to off set grind the rod journal on the crank.
To do this without welding the crank you'll now need a rod with a smaller housing bore. I believe most guys are grinding it to a Honda.
lens_xj

Post by lens_xj »

505 performance has the one I want, it is 4.060 they also have anything you need to go with this crank. this crank is also part of there 5.0 stroker kit. I do not want to go that big. 4.8 is as big as I want to go.
this is the link to that crank http://www.shop.505performance.com/prod ... egoryId=33

note; if you build a 4.6 but use the 4.060 crank it will come out to 4.78
johnj92131
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by johnj92131 »

lens_xj wrote:505 performance has the one I want, it is 4.060 they also have anything you need to go with this crank. this crank is also part of there 5.0 stroker kit. I do not want to go that big. 4.8 is as big as I want to go.
this is the link to that crank http://www.shop.505performance.com/prod ... egoryId=33

note; if you build a 4.6 but use the 4.060 crank it will come out to 4.78
Thanks for the reply.

Have you checked out what people on this site have to say about 505 Performance as a vendor? Suggest that you do a search! I was looking for another supplier/source.
lens_xj

Post by lens_xj »

now I have, I see a lot of guys saying they heard that 505 has a problem but I have not seen anyone that has had a problem.
anyway I found there e-mail and I asked the question why and when did there bad reputation start? I mean it is everywhere. I also asked them what they were going to do about it if anything. I am not going to buy anything from any one with that bad of a reputation unless they are doing a lot to make it better. this is one of the reasons I am here you all protect each other. you are not the only one that told me about this
Thank you