98 grand ecu issue

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Evanchek
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Grand

98 grand ecu issue

Post by Evanchek »

OK never posted here before but thought I would put it out there. Stroked a 98 grand Cherokee. Parts used I should be around 300 hp at crank. Cam I used was 505 performance stage 3 cam (267/280). Valve lift is .484 intake & .494 exhaust. Did a 3 angle valve job on head and put bigger valves and Harland sharp roller rockers in.

Did startup & broke cam in. Things went fine but motor had a slight miss to it. I cut the ears off the distributor, turned clockwise until started to miss while running and made a mark, turned counter clockwise until started to miss and made mark. Shut jeep off and put distributor in between marks. Read online about doing a hard factory reset to ecm so I held terminals together for 30 seconds, turned key on, turned headlights on, turned headlights off, turned key off. Thought I did it right.

Jeep started great and ran really good for about 20 miles. Then I noticed a miss again when I would slow down and sometimes intermittently at take off rpms. Then check engine light came on. Plugged tuner into it and got multiple codes:

O2 sensor
Air intake temp sensor
Crank pos sensor

Tried to clear codes but tuner had an error message.

Should I reset ecm again? I'm waiting on a tune program to get here for it from where I filled out an engine data sheet. Will that fix issue? Jeep starts, runs, and drives but starts to miss sometimes and doesn't seem like its putting out power it should.

Done a couple of builds before like this but never one with an obd2. Is there something I'm missing?

Spark plugs, coil, distributor, cap & rotor are all new with bigger plug wires. Coil is stock. Think its putting out enough voltage? Just looking for any suggestions or thoughts. Thanks!
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: 98 grand ecu issue

Post by SkylinesSuck »

O2 and IAT were verified good before all of this? My first step would be driving down the street to the jeep dealer and sweet talking them into hooking up their fancy scan tool and seeing the dizzy/injector timing. I found a case of beer and a smile at the end of a Friday works wonders for making friends :)
Evanchek
Vehicle Model: Grand

Re: 98 grand ecu issue

Post by Evanchek »

All sensors are good and were good before tearing jeep down. Still waiting on hearing back from the guys about my tune program. Hopefully that will fix the issue. Haven't tried resetting the ECM to factory settings yet (for the second time), going to wait for tune program and talk to the guys writing it today. Hopefully they will be able to provide some insight.