Intake temp

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
rammit11
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Intake temp

Post by rammit11 »

What is considered to be a normal operating temp according to the IAT sensor on the 99+ intakes. I had my scan tool with live data running and with outside ambient temp around 80 the intake was in the 130 - 140 range on the drive home . The morning drive in to work was showing around 80 when temps were In the 50's. I stopped to get a coffee and the temp jumped up to 120 after starting up again and stayed in that range. Could my sensor be faulty or am I just running to hot? coolant stays at 205-210 which from what I understand is normal.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Intake temp

Post by SilverXJ »

I don't see anything abnormal about the numbers. If you are looking to get cooler intake air you can do a few things. 1) Coat both the intake and exhaust manifold in a heat reflective coating, like form Swain tech. 2) Put a heat barrier material on the bottom of the intake manifold such as the gold self adhesive foil from DEI. 3) Make a cold air intake that actually gets cooler exterior air. 4) Hood vents to remove hot engine bay air.

IAT temp is also no indicator of how hot the engine is running.
rammit11
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by rammit11 »

hi silver, thanks for the reply. I was not as concerned with how hot the engine was running (engine temp seems normal from live data scan), it was more of am I getting too hot of air into the engine causing the pcm to raise timing. I wasn't sure if the intake air temp was normal or high, so much mis-information floating around about this on the web. I am working on a cowl type hood to get the heat out from under the hood as well as incorporating a ram air system similar to what the older challengers used to bring in cooler air. I was having a slight detonation problem under load and moderate throttle. I have just finished up a ride after changing the upstream bosch o2 sensor to an ntk ,knock on wood the problem seems to have subsided.
jeepxj3
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Vehicle Model: xj

Post by jeepxj3 »

Ditto on the getting the heat out.
50-60*F over ambient seems to be about average stock.

Sit idling at a drive thru and see what it does.