Crankshaft End Play Spectrum

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Nakedginger
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Crankshaft End Play Spectrum

Post by Nakedginger »

Afternoon,

I used the search bar a little but am in a rush at the moment. I will use it more later today or tomorrow. I wanted to get some opinions about a scenario I am hitting. I have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee I am building a stroker for. The engine is a 1995 HO 4.0L engine I am making into a 4.6L Stroker. I attained a 4.2L crankshaft and had the machinists look at it. They determined that they could turn it and make it work again. In the end they turned the main journals down to .040" under and the connecting rod journals to 0.030" under. As I started to assemble the block it became apparent that the crankshafts end play was 0.011" and was verified through several means by myself and the machine shop. From the factory spec of both the 4.0L and 4.2L engines the crankshaft end play should only be 0.0015" and 0.0065". From the knowledge I have attained, being that far out of the spectrum is beyond acceptable and needs a new crank. The machine shop says it will most likely be fine and that for my application having an end play of 0.011" is just fine.

I wanted to ask if I am being too strict on the end play tolerance for building a stroker? i am trying to have high expectations. OR is this amount of tolerance beyond the acceptable amount for building the 4.6L stroker?

Any input from someone who has dealt with this before would be appreciated!

Thanks!
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Re: Crankshaft End Play Spectrum

Post by jsawduste »

Two thoughts come to mind.

1. Find a new machine shop.
2. Get a different crank.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

Nakedginger wrote:From the knowledge I have attained, being that far out of the spectrum is beyond acceptable and needs a new crank. The machine shop says it will most likely be fine and that for my application having an end play of 0.011" is just fine.
The guy from the machine shop is blowing smoke from his butt crack. :lol:
I'll second what John said. You definitely need a replacement crank and I strongly recommend you find another machine shop.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by Russ Pottenger »

X 3, ... Sometimes 'Just good enough' "Isn't" good enough.