OBDII Data Link Connections & Bluetooth

Dedicated forum for all things electrical... Sometimes Electrical issues can really get you stumped! Not Stroker related.
Neuner
Learning to use the board
Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ7

OBDII Data Link Connections & Bluetooth

Post by Neuner »

I've been trying to get my PCM to connect with an ELM Bluetooth device for sometime with no luck.

My PDC & PCM C3 connector came with the data link connection chopped off in a bundle of wires. I've since tried to make the connection to a 16-point data link port.

I bought a very cheap ELM bluetooth device that initially only connected to the PCM for a brief time and hasn't re-connected since. I'm able to maintain the bluetooth connection to a droid device. It does work on my other vehicles, a Lincoln and Toyota. I then purchased a better and more recommended unit but I cannot get it to connect to my XJ PCM either. I'm confused by the FSM pin-out because of some RHD/LHD connotation that doesn't appear in line with the wiring diagrams. What I have and how I connected;

Pin 03: VT/BR CCD Bus +
Pin 04 & 5: BK & BK/OR to Ground
Pin 06: BK/WT SCI Transmit
Pin 07: BK/PK SCI Receive
Pin 11: WT/BK CCD Bus -
Pin 16: Fused Battery +

I checked the pin & wire connections and I think I may have a loose Pin 11 within the connector housing that is wired to the PCM. I'm wondering if this is why it connected briefly but no longer does. Does the reader need the CCD Bus connection or just the SCI? Everything I've read seems to point towards the SCI only since the CCD/CAN is an internal protocol?
Things you own, begin owning you.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Re: OBDII Data Link Connections & Bluetooth

Post by jsawduste »

Short answer is the communication is through SCI. As you have said the Can Bus is for internal protocol.

I`ll check the wiring and update this post if needed
Neuner

Post by Neuner »

Took awhile to ship but I got a new Data Link connector with all of the pins working. Verified and made the pin connections as I listed before. Nothing. Even ordered and tried a new OBDII bluetooth but that didn't work either. Getting very frustrated and I can't think of what is wrong. The OBD and PC light flicker which makes me think it's trying but just not able to read. Wish I knew if it was my wiring or the bluetooth device that was causing the issue.

Was going to try and take it by a parts store like Autozone to get a reading. That should tell me if I have it connected properly, correct?
jeepxj3
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: xj

Post by jeepxj3 »

That makes sense to try a 'wired' OBD scanner to see if the OBD connector is wired/working correctly.
Neuner

Post by Neuner »

Went by Autozone and they were able to read it fine. Feels good knowing it's not my wiring.

I read of so many using cheap bluetooth readers successfully with theirs that I hate to put too much money to it. Problem is that either the links to the readers they use are old and broken or they don't say.
ngrover
Noob
Noob

Post by ngrover »

Initially I tried one of these:

It worked once or twice in my 97 XJ.... then it never worked again, not in my Jeep or my friends JK.

I've since bought one of these which, to this date, has been working fine for about a year:

jeepxj3
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: xj

Post by jeepxj3 »

ngrover wrote: Image
I use this one and it works fine.
Neuner

Post by Neuner »

Ok, I'll look for one of those mini's. Noticed different bluetooth devices with CAN BUS in the title. Think that makes the difference?

Was thinking about a USB connection to an old Droid phone. Anyone try this? Would be cool if it also supplied power to the phone so I could leave it on and connected all of the time.
Neuner

Post by Neuner »

Hot damn! One of those mini-blue ones just arrived today. Connected it, had it linked to the phone and reading the ECU in no time. Thanks!

Any of you leave it plugged in full time? Have it in the engine bay or within the dash area?