Billet roller cam

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: Billet roller cam

Post by Flash »

Alex22 wrote:Typically on those lifters you would have to turn one of the lifters inline with the bar and the T piece on the lifter will then fit out the slot. Would you be able to put the lifters in before the cam and turn the engine upside down to put the cam in or is the cross bar still in the way?

~Alex
Delk, is the one that made a roller lifter fit, but there is a refinement rib that the tie or T bar has to go underneath before the two lifters can be attached. This brace, that's up near the head surface of the block prevent then from being installed as a pair.
they are installed after the cam is installed. having to install the 2nt lifter in the same plain as T bar wouldn't be a problem. Wither the T bar would hit the re enforcement before the lifter can slide down the hole...........well that were i thing the problem would come in.
Not having the cam in there, so the lifter can fit farther down in the hole my not even help the situation :huh:

Delk is the only one that has actually put his hands on the roller lifter in the block, so hopefully he see's your post and can add more to this then I...............................................................

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
Plechtan
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 5.0L 4x4
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by Plechtan »

I have been playing around with using a modified 351C timing gear on the billet cam. Why? well because gear drives and high performance chain drives are available for the 351C. Cloyes actually uses the same "true roller" chain on the AMC setup as the Ford 351C. The advantage of using the 351 gear is that it uses a thrust bearing on the block, like the 99+ engines and it has a 5/16 pin to locate it to the gear. I bought a couple of the oem style gears from Rock auto, they were $4.00 each. the part number was S436T I also purchased an older crank gear for the AMC ( 18 tooth) and a chain. I will see how everything fits. I think the later motors use 24-48 teeth.

The 351 gear has plenty of meat on it, and could be easily machined down. It is setup to go on a 7/8" shaft on the front of the cam, which the aftermarket cams do not have. For the Billet cam it could be added without a problem. you could machine down a standard cam and bore a hole for a 7/8" stub shaft the shaft would have to be hollow so a long bolt could hold everything together
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds Fastest Comanche Prroject
Plechtan
Donator
Donator

Post by Plechtan »

Ok, i have a machine shop looking at a couple cams, and he says he can do them. But i would like to rough them in to the shape of a Cam core. Does anybody know where i can get a unground core?
Peter Lechtanski
Plechtan
Donator
Donator

Post by Plechtan »

A cast roller cam? What material is is cast out of? I didn't think you could make a cast iron roller cam.
Peter Lechtanski