Help with Cam and springs.

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Thumpinhard25
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Help with Cam and springs.

Post by Thumpinhard25 »

Hi, new to the board and was hoping for some help. I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee that im currently rebuilding the stock 4.0. When i cleaned up the Cam i noticed some pitting on it. I just ordered a reman head, timing chain, and new Crower rockers, now im looking for a Cam that will work with the ECU. Power is great, but it needs to function without any kind of flash. I called comp and was told they have a cam #68-232-4 but it requires after market springs ( which they dont sell). I noticed Hesco springs require head modification. Do the Mopar springs just drop in? Also can anyone recommend a Cam that would work with Stock Springs, or where to find a stock cam. Finally i tore into my other 2 4.0's ( 1988, and 1993) and pulled the Cams, all three had pitting in on the #2 cylinder exhaust lobe, im assuming this is a common thing. Thanks for the help
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Help with Cam and springs.

Post by Cheromaniac »

Thumpinhard25 wrote:I called comp and was told they have a cam #68-232-4 but it requires after market springs ( which they dont sell).

All of the CompCams 68-23X-4 grinds will work with EFI despite CC themselves saying not compatible with EFI.

I noticed Hesco springs require head modification. Do the Mopar springs just drop in?

Yes, the P5249464 springs do indeed drop in but good luck finding them without having to take out a second mortgage.

Also can anyone recommend a Cam that would work with Stock Springs, or where to find a stock cam.

Take your pick out of all the cams in this spreadsheet that have a valve lift of 0.440" or less:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/Jeep4.0Camshafts.htm
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Thumpinhard25
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Re: Help with Cam and springs.

Post by Thumpinhard25 »

Cheromaniac, thanks for the reply. I just ordered the comp 68-232-4 cam. I found a set of 16 mopar springs p5249464 on ebay new for $160 so I picked them up (I'll sell 4 of the cheap if anyone needs). The retainers actually seem worse than the springs at nearly $11 a piece. (P4452032) although I do see jegs sells those springs for $23ea. Is there anything I might need? I have a new timing chain set with it, and new cam bearings are being pressed in tomorrow. Do hope to reuse the stock pushrods and rockers.