Ticking noise when cold

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
xjjeepcjs
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Chreokee

Ticking noise when cold

Post by xjjeepcjs »

Okay all, I am in the midst of tuning my motor...finally.

I have 10,000 miles on a mild build. New head with proper valve springs, roller rockers, and LS size valves, Stage 2 cam 266/272-14H Dur int 211 exh 217 Lift int. 471 Exh 484, Icon pistons with new rods and crank. It has been running really well since initial start-up and sync. One thing I have noticed is that it ticks when cold. When warm and running the tick is hard to even hear and I cannot place it using a stethoscope device.

Am i just hearing the valves opening and closing with snap since I am using the stronger valve springs? This thing runs like a raped ape. I did just add new plugs NGK BKR7E and gapped to .040.

Just want to hear some advice on if I have OCD or if I need to check things out
6TIME
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: JEEP
Vehicle Model: CHEROKEE

Re: Ticking noise when cold

Post by 6TIME »

Glad to hear it runs good! Does the ticking go away slowly as it warms, or is it obvious at first start then quiets after proper oil pressure is reached?
xjjeepcjs
Noob
Noob

Post by xjjeepcjs »

Yeah, it is louder as oil pressure builds up. pressure at gauge from sending unit is almost instantaneous 60 psi, HVLP pump. As it warms up hard to hear. By the time I get to work or home, so slight you really have to listen. Is this just a noisy type motor. I am used to chevy small blocks and LS motors that seem quiet. This is my first non-gm build.

If I guesses by throttle response or driving I would say I am making to big of an issue, but since I am a perfectionist to a flaw, I just need that bit of info that says it might just be a noisy motor. Heck I could have a pulley bearing going out, but I cannot trace the noise.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Do it sounds like a lot of little quick ticks, or one tick? Can you hear it inside the vehicle? Are you running roller rockers?
xjjeepcjs
Noob
Noob

Post by xjjeepcjs »

I would say it is more like one tick, and it is louder from the front of the engine towards the exhaust side. I am running rollers, but I have the Hesco spacers for the water housing and valve cover. The stethoscope on the valve cover and on the passenger side of head only has nice normal valve train noise of operation. Headers and intake as well as down pipe have been checked. One bolt on down pipe to headers were loose about 7000 miles ago. Maybe I will recheck and torque all of those again. You just got my brain thinking. Maybe I have an exhaust leak that is louder when it is cold.
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

Might take your stethoscope to the oil pan, I've had rod nuts just touch the pan, was able to loosen the bolts and pry it away from the crank and retighten them and it went away.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

xjjeepcjs wrote:Okay all, I am in the midst of tuning my motor...finally.

I have 10,000 miles on a mild build. New head with proper valve springs, roller rockers, and LS size valves, Stage 2 cam 266/272-14H Dur int 211 exh 217 Lift int. 471 Exh 484, Icon pistons with new rods and crank. It has been running really well since initial start-up and sync. One thing I have noticed is that it ticks when cold. When warm and running the tick is hard to even hear and I cannot place it using a stethoscope device.

Am i just hearing the valves opening and closing with snap since I am using the stronger valve springs? This thing runs like a raped ape. I did just add new plugs NGK BKR7E and gapped to .040.

Just want to hear some advice on if I have OCD or if I need to check things out
Cold start ticking noises are normal in an engine with forged pistons so you may be hearing a degree of piston slap until the pistons expand in the bores during warm-up. Just take it easy during that period and don't run the engine hard.
Stiffer valve springs can also cause a ticking sound as they close the valves against the seats in a shorter time than stock springs. You'll get used to it.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

xjjeepcjs wrote:I would say it is more like one tick, and it is louder from the front of the engine towards the exhaust side.
That is a bit concerning that is only sounds like one item.
I am running rollers, but I have the Hesco spacers for the water housing and valve cover.
Rollers can be noisy
One bolt on down pipe to headers were loose about 7000 miles ago.
Could very well be an exhaust leak. If you can have someone hold something over the exhaust pipe while you listen in the engine bay that might help.

If you have a timing light you might be able to narrow it down to a cylinder. See if the tick coincides with the light flash on any of the cylinders.
Cheromaniac wrote:Cold start ticking noises are normal in an engine with forged pistons so you may be hearing a degree of piston slap until the pistons expand in the bores during warm-up.
Piston slap isn't really a tick. More like a dull thud. To me it just makes the engine sound louder. Also, it shouldn't last more than 3 minutes or so.
xjjeepcjs
Noob
Noob

Post by xjjeepcjs »

Guys Thank you for the replies! I found the issue and it has my heart feeling good since this is my daily driver... and with a year old child I am essentially broke.

Did my overdue oil change today and checked for metal as I normally do. Not a spec, but oil still says she is rich. So I went over the list of stuff you all laid out. As IH 392 said, check lower. I move my head down in front of the radiator on my way to check pan and it is louder. I check pan, which I knew could not be the issue since it is a custom pan we made to clearance the girdle, but always check. noise is less apparent. Move head back up in front of radiator and loud again???? I stick the stethoscope on the fan idler pulley... BAM noise matches! It is the F'ing bearing in the idler pulley. Makes more sense to me since earlier this week when I change spark plugs, I checked the belt and felt it was too tight. Loosened it up and since then I thought the noise was louder.

I really appreciate your responses. Sometimes we just need a bit of advice to get out of our own modes of thought and look somewhere else.

Thanks again guys. This is a great forum. Now laugh your asses off at my folly :)
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Nice! I love easy fixes. Mush have been a relief for you. Now, if all things were so easy.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

xjjeepcjs wrote:Now laugh your asses off at my folly :)
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ;) :lol:
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen: