Valve Springs

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
bbarnett
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Valve Springs

Post by bbarnett »

I am currently building a stroker & doing it the poor mans way with factory 258 crank and rods. I have always been a GM guy but have owned multiple jeeps for several years just never any engine mods so this is a first for me. That being said I wanted to stroke it a cam it while building the new engine. 95' 4.0 I have found the only comp cams camshaft that is computer control compatible but with this I obviously need to change the valve springs. I can't find a valve spring as of yet that has the correct dimensions and still has the seat and open pressures required for the new cam. So I guess my question is has anyone ever run into this before do I need to have the head machined to fit larger springs or is there a spring out there that will work? TIA.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Valve Springs

Post by Cheromaniac »

1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Bodo
Donator
Donator

Post by Bodo »

I machined the head to take SBC springs and used the retainers from HESCO with stock locks.
sasai0812
Stroker Displacement: 4.5
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wrangler

Post by sasai0812 »

Hi guys,
I had a big headache while searching for valve spring setup for my 4.5 stroker with 68-231 Comp Cam. Yes you can machine the head but the biggest problem that I found is matching springs, retainers and locks to 8mm stem. It was a nightmare as Im from Croatia-Europe and I was kind of limited on the choices and as usual, the first order that make usually is wrong!! I found that the MP spring P5249464 will work but imagine the luck, they are not in production anymore.
So after almost ordering really expensive combo from Summit I found a Aussie guy that you can really talk to and imagine what, he has the springs that will suite stock retainers, will take up to .550 of lift and the specs are great for the aftermarket cams. He said that they made this springs especially for 4.0 head.
The specs from the springs that the guy gave me are - Specs are: 1.650 = 100Lbs & 1.100 = 295Lbs Coil Bind = 1.030
You can find the springs at http://performancesprings.com.au/.
Hope I helped someone that is in trouble like I was a month ago.
Frankenstien
I think I'll order a "tab"
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1972
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: Cj5

Post by Frankenstien »

summit racing
Ls1 7* locks afr-9007
retainers cca-744-12 retainers 7* as well
I had same issues WITH using matching springs, retainers, locks and cam from comp cams. The first kit came with 10* locks square cut no good/fit. use these items.
Locks must be round groove like these I listed here was other issue too,
best
mike
Ps. Most are using the LS Chevy valves too when changing them out.
Frankenstein