fuel injector test rig

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
mcart
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

fuel injector test rig

Post by mcart »

I have noticed lots of discussion about buying and using used injectors from the junk yard. Points are made that they should be rebuilt and/or cleaned before use...makes sense. building your own test apparatus is quite simple. the enclosed pics show a black pipe capped, drilled and tapped for brass fittings to hold a gate valve and gauge to regulate 50 psi for testing. Rig up a nine volt battery and a momentary switch ( I cut off a section of injector plug and wires from the junkyard) to trigger the injector electrically. Fill the black pipe about halfway with injector cleaner, attach shop air and open valve to 50 psi. If the used injector is working, you should get a spray pattern. I used a piece of rubber tube and worm clamps to hold the injector to the test rig, easy peasy. I did this test before and after I rebuilt my neon injectors. No need to send out to anyone and much cheaper. This is not an original idea from me, but is worth repeating. Jeeps are built not bought.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Retlaw01XJ
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: fuel injector test rig

Post by Retlaw01XJ »

Nice. I threw something together as well. I used an old 4 cyl fuel rail so I could have 4 injectors hooked up.
I did notice spray patterns varied between injectors. I picked 6 that were the most similar.
Do you notice a difference between spray patterns?
Walt K
Eastern Pa
2001 Cherokee 4.6 stroker 90 day build
Buick GS's and Saab turbos for other days...
mcart
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by mcart »

Yes, I had same same.... started with 8 injectors and picked the 6 best, that spray patterns were similar. I think your four rail idea is better than a piece of rubber tube. I am hoping the "Neon" injector will flow enough for a .020 over poor man's stroker... otherwise I'll be using this set-up to test some ford mustang 24 pounders. No more wasted money on fuel injector cleaner either...
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Nice setup. I use something cylinder. No pressure vessel/reservoir yet. I just put the fluid I am using in a hose. On tip. Don't hold the injector open.. pulse it.
I also use a 12V ac adapter (wall wart) instead of a 9V battery.