Ay shops specialize in a ls based motor swap?

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
Defcon92
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.2l
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep

Ay shops specialize in a ls based motor swap?

Post by Defcon92 »

Arizona, no smog first off.

I have been reading JeremyB's 6.0 swap thread and have been in awe the entire time. Idk if he had ac or what not & he also used a 6.0 iron(heavier than a 4.0?) motor. I was thinking maybe a ls1 aluminum (less weight) motor. With a mild cam & rollers on stock heads & of course the bolt ons needed for the swap. Cam really to get the power where one wanted it. (Intake, headers, exhaust).
It should easily out preform a 4.6-4.7l stroker. Should get more mileage? Have the cool factor. And weigh less all in the process.

Would my ax15 terminator trans be up to the power? I just can't get over the fact he's getting 20 mpg in the city while being nice to it. Probably 24mpg highway I'd assume. The ls1 would get similar if not better, hell even 20mpg. I'm lucky to get that highway lol.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Ay shops specialize in a ls based motor swap?

Post by Cheromaniac »

Defcon92 wrote:I was thinking maybe a ls1 aluminum (less weight) motor. With a mild cam & rollers on stock heads & of course the bolt ons needed for the swap. Cam really to get the power where one wanted it. (Intake, headers, exhaust).
It should easily out preform a 4.6-4.7l stroker. Should get more mileage? Have the cool factor. And weigh less all in the process.

Would my ax15 terminator trans be up to the power?
If I had a Wrangler my first choice V8 swap would be a 6.1 Hemi but unfortunately it's too wide to fit in an XJ engine bay, so a 5.7 LS1 is a very good choice for an XJ 'cause it's narrower thanks to the pushrod layout. Novak Conversions have an adapter kit to mate the LS1 to the AX15 tranny and yes, the AX15 is up to the job as long as you keep the LS1 power close to stock.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Defcon92
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Defcon92 »

Ya I'm very interested in either a ls swap or possibly one of the m62 supercharger kits that are for sale by a member on cherokeeforum. That I could throw on and have it tuned fairly easily. The ls1 swap would have to be done by a shop because I wouldn't have the time.

That supercharger guy got 200+ whp out of a stock 4.0. I've got similar with a 4.2:1,.038 quench. 9.0:1 static 7.8:1 dynamic.
Defcon92
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Defcon92 »

Noticed 2 youtube videos. Both ls1s both dynoed 320+ at the wheels both 4wd. 1 with a patrol drive train. 322 & 335 & the second was 325 & 331. Guessing both were stock ls1s with the bolt on nessasaries items for the swap (headers, intake, exhaust, tune).

I'd be lucky to dyno around 180/250 I think with my 4.2l?
SkauneJohan
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Model: Cherokee
Location: Skauneland (land of scania) the forgotten/ocupied country.....

Post by SkauneJohan »

these atleast got the kit for doing a swap

http://www.novak-adapt.com/index.htm
2,5" homebuilt catback and rugged ridge steel header (more to come)

dreaming of a stroker
Defcon92
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Defcon92 »

SkauneJohan wrote:these atleast got the kit for doing a swap

http://www.novak-adapt.com/index.htm
I've seen that. I did notice on ls1-tech that the headers are actually production headers for 2 different model cars. What that means is summit will sell you one of each for about 1/2 the cost of "swap headers". I've gotta find that thread again. I know its on ls1-tech for sure.