Help with can choices

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
365Jeep
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Help with can choices

Post by 365Jeep »

I must first admit I am a newb here, so if any of my thoughts or philosophies don't make sense, please take it as an opportunity to educate me.

I have been going back and forth between the Compression Ratio Calculator and Dyno2003 attempting to make a cam selection. Through several days of mental gymnastics, I have narrowed my choices down to 5 possible cams. If you have experience with any of these cams, especially with stock valve springs, please help me with my selection. All of these choices are based on their mild lift values to help preserve reliability and avoid costly valve springs.

1) Stock '01 Cam
2) Comp Cams 68-115-4
3) Crower 44242
4) Isky 1331-M
5) Mopar P4529228

Also, does anyone have a good .dyn file for the 4.0 for Dyno2003? The entries I've made are not yielding numbers that compare with Dino's on a 0.040" over stroker.
David
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1981
Vehicle Model: CJ8

Re: Help with can choices

Post by akadeutsch »

I think you are going pretty mild on cam choice. All of these cams will work with stock valve springs. I think the biggest gains could be made with the ISKY 1331-M, but I dont know your desires. I would like to know some other key aspects of your engine, your build, and your idea of what you want out of your rig? If I knew more about your build I would offer more insite. Why stick with stock valve springs? There are many options to consider...More info please.
365Jeep
Noob
Noob

Post by 365Jeep »

Yes, those are indeed mild cams. My motives are reliability and longevity, but I would like a little more cam to compensate for the increased displacement. I really want to be able to run 87 octane, so I'm shooting for a DCR of 7.7 with a quench of 0.045.

David
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by akadeutsch »

I just dont see reliability coming out of used springs. I could be very wrong and I would like nothing more to be told so if that is true. I guess as long as you check the rate and then shim if necessary you should be fine. I considered using my stockers for a while with my build, but with upgraded springs you can do soo much more with the cam so I opted for new, upgraded, heavier, springs. But considering all the aspects of a cam upgrade you could be looking at well over 500 USD by the time you are done so I guess I can see why you want to stick with the stockers. Good luck brother
365Jeep
Noob
Noob

Post by 365Jeep »

Ah, that's a good point. It's a new/reman head from October 2013.
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by akadeutsch »

What will this be going in to? you should start a build thread. :cheers:
365Jeep
Noob
Noob

Post by 365Jeep »

It will go into my 2001 TJ. Right now, I am just beginning research. I'll be doing a build thread when the time comes. Thanks for the tips and advice.