muffler choice on a stroker?

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Re: muffler choice on a stroker?

Post by Shark »

is the gibson a flow though design?
'91 MJ 4.0 ax15 Resto-mod street truck project, stroker candidate
'93 XJ 2door 4.0 aw4 np231 7" lift 33's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 2" 31's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 np231 4" lift 31's RIP
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Don't know what kind of design. Its a bit louder than stock, but I have seen CFM tests and it isn't much better at flowing than stock. I wouldn't recommend the muffler.. only the rest of the system.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

Also, try [email protected]. He may have a 2.5" system
jeepinwi
Learning to use the board
Learning to use the board

Post by jeepinwi »

The entire exhaust on my stroker is the OEM parts including the crushed downpipe. One of these days, I'm going to finish the custom exhaust I started a year ago. Stock header with 3" collector, 3" downpipe, necked down to 2.75", necked down to a 2.5" carsound cat, to a 2.5" thrush turbo muffler, to a 2.5" tailpipe. I have all the parts, just need to find time to get it done!

99 Cherokee SE - 2 door, 4x4, 4.6L stroker, 5 speed, 8.25 rear, 60mm TB, stock exhaust
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997

Post by seanyb505 »

That looks pretty good...But wont it make it kinda difficult taking the header off?
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
Jeep-Power
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.3
Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Make: AMC/Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ-7

Post by Jeep-Power »

4point6 wrote:TallPeter - where did you get the 2.5" all the way through? Is it custom, or is there a bolt up system out there? Everything I could find was 2" or 2.25".

It is custom-- there is a thread on this forum on it and also here on NJJC
Comanche91
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: JeeP
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by Comanche91 »

My original exhaust system when I put the Hesco stroker in 3-1/2 years ago was from Kolak (Mike Leach headers, Car Sound free-flow cat and Flowmaster 40 series muffler, 2-1/2" all the way). It was waaaay too loud for me and the drone at 2100-2300 RPM was terrible. Since then, I've dumped the Car Sound and added a 2-1/2" stainless cherry bomb in it's place; dumped the FlowMaster and added a single inlet/dual outlet Walker Sound FX muffler, and ran custom dual pipes out over the axle exiting under the bumper. The sound is great, mellow and just slightly louder than stock. But the real surprise was the before and after readings on the Hesco dyno, an overall across the range 15% average increase in HP and torque, although the peak HP/torque readings dropped about 250 RPM. But I seldom run over 4200 RPM anyhow, so it worked out very well.
91 Comanche LWB, AW4, Hesco 4.6L, D44 Trac-lok, CHROME freak, ROLL TIDE
dangerousjordan

Post by dangerousjordan »

omg what is with the flowmaster cult following, flowmaster themselves recomend the fifty if you must for the 4.0, i think it sounds terible, i didn't mind my magnaflow, sounded real deep compared to stock, i am really fond of thesound if acherry bomb glass pack or purple horny, as for now i justrun a hollowed out cat and nothing else, the4.0 sounds endlessly more throaty withthe comp cam i have, not stroked yet by the way
oletshot
Donator
Donator

Post by oletshot »

dangerousjordan wrote:omg what is with the flowmaster cult following, flowmaster themselves recomend the fifty if you must for the 4.0, i think it sounds terible, i didn't mind my magnaflow, sounded real deep compared to stock, i am really fond of thesound if acherry bomb glass pack or purple horny, as for now i justrun a hollowed out cat and nothing else, the4.0 sounds endlessly more throaty withthe comp cam i have, not stroked yet by the way
One of my son's buddies put a $25 glass pack from Autozone on his XJ over the weekend. He said it sounded really good. My stock muffler has just about had it on my XJ and my plan is to try it. For what they cost, you almost can't go wrong. Only problem I see is you'll probably be changing them every year or every other year.
I'm not clever enough to have a clever signature. I'll just steal yours.
'98 XJ 2-door, '94 YJ.
ZOID
Noob
Noob

Post by ZOID »

I have a Flowmaster super 40 on mine, If your looking for an example you can hear me drive through a valley on the home page of a website some friends and myself came up with:
www.local616.com