I'm done with Doug Thorley headers

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

I'm done with Doug Thorley headers

Post by SilverXJ »

Doug Thorley offers a very nice header. However, their support is complete and utter crap.

Previously I had problems with their header. First the original one I purchased years ago cracked. Keep in mind it had a life time warranty. The problem was identified and they redesigned their header. Fine. However, to get the "upgraded" header I had to pay an extra $200 (shipping + header "upgrade"). I was less then pleased with this and when I voiced my opinion I was told I had an "attitude". I paid it any how and went about. Fast forward and the header flange was warped. I sent it back and after a month and a half I called about it. They gave some lame excuse and I was again I was told that I have an "attitude".

So now, in current time I identify some issues with their header to exhaust adapter. The header has a 2.5" output. It took some time talking to their tech support that it was in fact 2.5" when they said it was 2.75". What ever. Now to the adapter. First the doughnut gasket necks down to 2.25"... but then the header to exhaust adapter necks down to 2.125". 2.15" down to 2.125".. why even bother having a header at that?

I call them to fix the issue. They were so confused I didn't know where to begin. I tried best I could to describe what I needed to have a true 2.5" exhaust. While on hold I was some how connected with another customer. He had tried to order a mustang header and I was trying to order parts for a Jeep header.. well you can only imagine the confusion of that conversation before we both realized we had been connected to each other. So, I though they knew what they were doing an I thought I ordered a 2.5" flat flange adapter and 2.5" gasket. A week later i get it. I have the 2.5" flat gasket but an adapter for a 2.5" doughnut gasket. They don't work together. Call them up again and they recognize the problem and say the correct gasket is in the mail. Two weeks late I still don't have a correct setup. I call them and they have no recollection of the previous conversation nor sending anything out. In fact they said they sent the correct gasket out and gave me a tracking number, which was for the previous delivery. They offer no solution and tell me that my local exhaust show should have the correct flat flange adapter.

I have spent $1000 on their header (header + warranty upgrade + new adapter and gasket + shipping), not including a coating that will actually last and I still don't have a true 2.5" output to the exhaust pipe. Nice, Thorley. I'm sure in their minds I still have some sort of "attitude" problem.

Now I have a 5.2L ZJ. They are the only company that offers a header for that vehicle. I will not be paying $800 for their shit support.

BTW, I am not the only customer with issues that has been told has an "attitude"