Transgo Shift Kit

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
DesertDawg
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Transgo Shift Kit

Post by DesertDawg »

Hello All,

My Cherokee has developed a P0470 Code (Torque Converter Lockup Malfunction).

I spent today establishing that the lock up solenoid was good (it is 17ohms, same as the other two) and that it is being told to turn on (it is, I placed an LED in parallel and it turned on at the right times).

When activated, the transmission was clearly not locked up as the revs would jump with throttle.

So, to the point of this post, the transmission must go to a shop for a rebuild and I have some choices:

1/ Standard overhaul (800USD ish)
2/ Heavy duty clutch plates (1300 USD ish)
3/ Heavy duty clutch plates plus Transgo shift kit. (1400 USD ish)

Now Chris has mentioned the Transgo kit in his Stroker Chapter of Eric's book (great books btw; got both), but Chris did not elaborate.

So... does anyone have an opinion? Has anyone done other than 1/ above?

I have read that the shift kit plus uprated clutch pack makes for a really quick and 'robust' change - which can be hard on U joints. However, I only really use by Jeep in 4x4 in the desert.

Dave
(Abu Dhabi, UAE)
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Re: Transgo Shift Kit

Post by SilverXJ »

I have the Transgo kit but installed in a valve body modified by Chad/Fringe XVO. It firms up the shift points all around. 2-3 is quite noticeable, but not bad. If someone driving the vehicle was unaccustomed to it it could be surprising to them. It really changes the feel of the vehicle. I don't have another XJ, but doing back and forth between the 5.2L ZJ and XJ is a night and day difference.. the ZJ just feels so mushy.

I too worry that it is being too aggressive on the rest of the drive line, but I haven't noticed any problems.

You can contact Chad at:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fringe-X ... 7448383301
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1089241

Also, if you have your PCM reprogrammed one option is torque reduction elimination. I did that on an other wise stock transmission and it really improved the feel of the shifts.
DesertDawg
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by DesertDawg »

Thanks Chris.

I shall look into that, but the logistics of shipping from/to UAE/US may be prohibitive.

One question - the transmission shop here is recommending a heavy duty clutch pack to compliment the shift kit. Are you running a stock transmission bar the valve body?

David
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

If your are doing a rebuild I would go with the HD clutch packs. My transmission is stock aside from the valve body. I've actually never had and AW4 fail or need a rebuilt through 4 Jeeps with it. But this is also the first with a stroker... time will tell.
jeepman
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: MJ

Post by jeepman »

You can always check these guys out as they Have a lot of Upgrades for the AW4
http://www.importperformancetrans.com/toyotaauto.shtml
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

They are also ridiculously over priced.
jeepman
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: MJ

Post by jeepman »

Possibly But I haven't seen much out there for the AW4 other then these guys with exception of a shift kit....
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

See my first post in this thread. Most of the shifting modifications are done in the valve body, which Fringe XVO can do and which is not a simple shift kit install. Most of what IPT does internally can be done by a competent transmission rebuilder.
mcart
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by mcart »

I have installed a Transgo shift in the valve body in my '99 Cherokee. In the instructions there is a section that talks about drilling holes in the valve body in certain locations and depending on the size of hole drilled, will make the shift more snappy or crisp. You can choose which diameter hole to drill for the shift response you are seeking. I chose to open them up closer to the top of the tolerance and now wish I had opened them more. I do agree with Silver that the changes are noticeable, the whole transmission feels firmer and less mushy. Heavy duty clutch packs for sure. The biggest issue by far is the proper choice gaskets for the valve body. There are something like four different valve bodies that could be in your trans, so must first identify which valve body you have then order a gasket set from Transgo or your local transmission shop. I also installed a temp. sensor in the tranny pan to get an idea of what temperatures the transmission is seeing... On a 107 degree day here in Arizona I am seeing 160 to 180 degree temps. on the road and 210 degrees in four wheel drive off road moderate abuse.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I really just love the feeling of the transmission now. One of the best mods I think.

Mcart, do you have a transmission cooler?
mcart
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by mcart »

Actually I have two coolers in line with each other... the stock cooler and additional small cooler from a mini-van. I also removed the trans cooler lines running thru the radiator as my XJ doesn't spend that much time in very cold weather. Yes, would do this mod again in a heart beat. Next time will go deeper and install the heavy duty clutch packs.
DesertDawg
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by DesertDawg »

I also removed the trans cooler lines running thru the radiator as my XJ doesn't spend that much time in very cold weather.
I don't rate myself as a guru, but I think this may have been a mistake. The radiator is there to cool the transmission (as well as bring the fluid up to operating temp). I did the same and my transmission fluid temp went through the roof (off scale at 150c (302F) and I think that is what has done for my transmission ( I only realised after fitting a temp gauge). I have the radiator back in line now.

As one of the guys in the club said to me: "Heat a bar of metal - how long does it take to cool it down in air? Now dip it in some water....".

Thanks for the ongoing feedback on the shift kit guys.

Dave