Modified log intake manifold

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
Joshy
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Modified log intake manifold

Post by Joshy »

G'day all,

I've been stalking this site for some time now but it's my first time posting.

Bit of background... I've got an '03 TJ that I managed to hydraulic lock, breaking the rods on the 1st and 6th. Don't ask. They got stuck on the girdle and bent it a little but it'll straighten out easy. The rod on the 1st scored the bore about 20 thou - that's all the internal damage. I got lucky and I spose it's a good time to build a stroker then.

Plans are:
SCAT crank
SCAT forged rods
IC944's in 60 thou over
Block decked
Lunati 63500 with matching lifters (I know they changed the part number)
Mopar MLS head gasket
DCR = 8.2 ish

I've got the late model intake manifold already but was wondering if anyone's modded a manifold? I've looked and it seems no after market manifolds exist anymore.

I was thinking of getting a log manifold (not the renix ones) and cutting the "log" off the runners then brazing an alloy pipe (3" - 4" dia.) to the ends. It might be a complete waste of time but I figure it'll give more plenum volume plus the intake can be directed to the front for a better cold air/ram effect and it would be easy to make a bigger throttle body fit.

Shit idea?

Appreciate any insight.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Modified log intake manifold

Post by SilverXJ »

Joshy wrote: IC944's in 60 thou over
I would go as little over as possible in case the block ever needs another bore.
I was thinking of getting a log manifold (not the renix ones) and cutting the "log" off the runners then brazing an alloy pipe (3" - 4" dia.) to the ends. It might be a complete waste of time but I figure it'll give more plenum volume plus the intake can be directed to the front for a better cold air/ram effect and it would be easy to make a bigger throttle body fit.
Waste of time. Just put the 99+ on and be done. Putting the throttle body a the front may result in an uneven distribution of air flow, plus ram air doesn't work at the speeds cars move at.
Joshy
Noob
Noob

Post by Joshy »

The broken rod on the first gauged a 20 thou deep groove in the bore, hence the need for 60 thou pistons. My preference was for 40 thou over but it might not quite tidy up with that.

Fair call on the shitty intake idea.

Cheers
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

If I was going to modify an earlier intake I would cut the plenum off, fabricate a larger one, but keep the throttle body central. Maybe add a inverted V in the middle floor to direct air out to the sides. While the plenum is off it would be a good time to clean up the runners as well. If course if you are going that far one might want to consider making a mount for a supercharger instead.
Joshy
Noob
Noob

Post by Joshy »

Funny you mention that... I'm toying with the idea of a turbo at the moment.

Did I read you're looking to throw an m90 on yours? How do you find the AEM? I'm thinking of going the SS FTC if I get blown
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I'm working on putting an MP90 on mine. Currently I am waiting on the intake manifold back from the welder.

I like the AEM. Easy to use. Install is quite involved though. Lots of wires. I like the fact that it modifies the fuel flow directly at the injectors, not fooling the MAP sensor. Their tech support is not that hot though.

Since we are talking about intake manifolds make sure you open up the throttle body hole to what ever sized throttle body you intend to run in the future. So you don't have to pull the manifold back off to enlarge it later.
Joshy
Noob
Noob

Post by Joshy »

Your rig will be a beast for sure.

I wasn't aware the AEM controls the injector pulse width. That does sound better than fooling the ECU. I thought about a Megasquirt for that same reason but it seems like a lot more work for what would realistically only make a few hp over a well tuned SS that's easy to wire up and tune.

Noted. It looks like the manifold could be opened up to 65-66mm while still keeping the original bolt holes? I like the idea of the added material around the standard threads on the inside.

Thanks for your time mate.