4.6 Stroker Killing Starters

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
RedJeepster
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

4.6 Stroker Killing Starters

Post by RedJeepster »

Hey guys, anyone have trouble with your stroker just destroying starters? I am on the 3rd one in 2 weeks. First two lasted less then a day each. First one burnt out. Second one broke the end of the shaft off when it backfired. The third one was used but a good starter and it lasted about 2 weeks before it burnt out and now wont start up the engine anymore. Stroker is 4.0 block .0030 over and 258 crank from an 88 yj. Donor Jeep was a 93 so all electrical systems, fuel injection and head and transmission all came from that Jeep. I am almost out of spare starters (2 left i think) and at this rate I will be out of them by next week. I know the starters aren't new but I was using one of them for 2 years with no issues and then it died in 2 weeks with the stroker. Anyone else have a similar issue? I know I could buy a high torque starter but dont really want to come up with the cash for it. Let me know what you guys think.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: 4.6 Stroker Killing Starters

Post by Muad'Dib »

My oem starter (200,000 miles?) that had never been replaced took a dump after I installed the Stroker. Whether or not it was because of the compression is unknown.

I can tell you the replacement I got at NAPA has been working just fine.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
RedJeepster
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by RedJeepster »

Alright, thanks. I put one together out of two last night and hopefully we will be in good shape for a while now that everything is clean and in good condition. Maybe a high torque starter will be in store for it later on down the road.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Same here. The starter is one of the few things still stock. I believe CCPanel on here had a similar issue and kept killing starters. He went with a Napa one last I heard in his thread and hasn't reported another problem.

I would also look into what caused the back fire. What EFI are you using?