Fun stuff!

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
DaemonForce
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L Super
Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: American
Vehicle Model: Eagle

Fun stuff!

Post by DaemonForce »

Whenever everything starts to finally catch up with what I want I start to see things. A new car, a new truck, rebuild this, rebuild that... :shock: I might as well jump straight into what's going on while I'm still drunk enough to be semi-coherent about it all. I really need some input about all of this and that's why I decided to post tonight. :D

Project 1
------------

1983 American Eagle: Engine + 4WD
It's mine and I've had it for 6 years now? The past 3 owners didn't survive it and they've had it all apart I don't know how many times and it looks like junk but rolls solid. I'm junking the detonated 258 for a 4.7L as soon as I get my cranks and rods back. I still need to figure out what bearings I need for the rods and mains before I get into the actual building process. Very recently I found a nice little 85 XJ in Lakewood:

Yes, as unusual as it is, this has an automatic, 4WD shifter and 4WD vacuum actuator all on the FLOOR! O_o Weirded me out when I finally realized zomg vacuum shifter! I looked under it an BAM! NP229. Jackpot! (*・ω・)ノ It's a cheap almost instant upgrade to my NP129 but oh wait, Pick-N-Pull is having a half off sale during the weekend so I could get it for $$. DOUBLE JACKPOT! (゙゚'ω゚')

I'm stuck on two things. First, I never expected this to be from anything other than a Grand Wagoneer but it's definitely factory equipment based on that actuator and it isn't pull and move like the one on my Eagle's dash so it's definitely a shift on the fly apparatus. I'm probably going to figure that out later but why is this such a pain in the ass to salvage? It's hard enough that this XJ is perched right where the transmission crossmember would come down so I have no chance in hell of dropping it properly but the front of the 4WD case doesn't have a yolk. It has a rotary cuff that holds the front line in with studs. Oh and the line is pressurized so when you budge it out of place, it spews oil everywhere. Fun. O_o

The transmission shifter was a lot of fun to pull apart just so I could get to the main transfercase bolts but even the vacuum shift control is a pain. Oh and this doesn't want to shift into low gear so I'm probably going to be overhauling this one. I'm thinking of taking a mallet and long punch to those transfer case studs just to jar it free. I don't want to use a flat screwdriver to pry it loose. Any ideas?

Oh and there's something else really interesting. I don't like having 3 clocks in my car. I notice these XJs have an oddball LOW FUEL warning gauge and I think figuring out a way to install one would be pretty ideal considering the fact that my sending unit just flips all over the place. Anyone experienced with wiring one of these in? :lol:

Project 2
------------

You're gonna love this. My car has been down for nearly a year and it's the only way I can really hold onto a dime. In its place I've been driving one of grandpa's 72 Ford trucks:
1972 F-250, Ranger, White, Automatic Ford C6, column shifted, Dana 60 3.54, 6000lbs
1972 F-250, Camper Special, White, Manual Borg T-18, floor shifted, Dana 60 3.73, 8000lbs
1972 F-250, Service Truck, Yellow, Manual Borg T-18, floor shifter, Dana 60, 10000lbs

So I've gone from driving an automatic Eagle to an overweight Ford truck with a gearbox. The automatic one blew up the night before Easter. It's had a nasty rod knock for 7 months but because nobody here maintains anything, it finally detonated on my way to work last month. I kind of want to do something about that. I've considered just swapping one of the functioning 390 blocks from one of the other trucks that just sit all the time but it's too much work. Then I found THIS in Nisqually Auto Wrecking the other day:

zomg Ford 300! Or is it a 240? :? I don't know and I don't care. I'm wondering if there's some way to hot wire this thing to check if it will still start. The battery is still in its cage but the whole truck is perched on the ground. It gets better.

This is a manual COLUMN SHIFTED Ford. I have never seen that in a Ford. Ever. The back end is gutted so I can see the transmission and it's cable shifted through the driver side of the gearbox. I don't know what all is going on inside of it but I think I could use that along with the steering column. I've thought about just dropping in the 4.7L AMC that I've been building into grandpa's pickup but the stock C6 automatic and lack of floor shifter really screws up the aesthetics and causes more work for me that I really don't want to do. I think this steering column might be an easy way out, along with that cute little inline engine. Worst case I'll just end up rebuilding it anyway but that's easy for me just because it's not a V block and I can source some REALLY nice parts for it. It might be worth putting in a front axle too but I have no idea where to start with that. I have a spare Dana 30 IFS that I don't intend to use but I think that would buckle and snap in a heavy Ford.

Project 3?
-------------

After some wandering around looking at a Turbo in a cute little red Saab and daydreaming about a turbo AMC 6, I found this thing sitting next to some Honda:

No, I'm not kidding. That's a 72 Jeepster. This thing was factory NEW when grandpa's fleet of Fords were just rolling off the lot. Lifting the hood felt a little more natural here.

BAM! 360? I guess not. It's a 304! Valve covers in Big Bad Red and everything. I really like how that heater core is snugged up to some external casing like some sort of tumor. :lol:

Everything looks good.

That carb and radiator need to get lost though.

The only visible damage is to the right fender and it isn't really noticeable unless you're like me. I was more interested in what was inside than underneath and it has SOME kind of 4spd gearbox and a passenger side 4WD shifter. I can't tell if it's 4H/2H or 4H/4L. No idea what the gearing is either. Anyway it probably has a main seal leak and it's only there because it was offered for bid at $1000. *random fart noise* I wonder if that engine is worth putting in a Ford pickup or my Eagle. I would probably need the crossmember but considering all that work makes my head spin. I'd rather just get the Jeep as another working vehicle.

What do you guys think are the best solutions going on here? I have a lot to do either way but no idea what deserves my attention first. :cheers:
   ,__,_____,__,       ~A-M-C YA!
//___}/,_ll,_\__\,_____
,l_/¯\_l__ll__l__/¯\(¤≡¤)
   (o))o))        (o))o))
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: Fun stuff!

Post by IH 392 »

You confirmed the AMC V8 is a 304 by the casting # under the motor mount tower??, the only ones I've ever seen painted red are the 401's in the IH trucks?, it also has later model emissions exhaust manifolds on it too?
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
DaemonForce
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by DaemonForce »

I don't know why the images disappeared after the 3rd down. I was too interested in the interior to get a good look under the truck and a lot of the engine looks aftermarket but the yard confirmed for me that it's a 304. That also appears to be the stock option on a 72 Jeepster and I'm going to stick to that. Though I am tempted to get a clear look for myself if that main seal needs replacing. :banana:

I really wish I could get a clear look at that dash. The Honda next to it is blocking the driver side door and if this has less than 100K I'm probably going to figure out some way to salvage it. This does not belong in the junkyard. Period.
//___}/,_ll,_\__\,_____
   (o))o))        (o))o))
I6FAN
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.2
Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wrangler

Post by I6FAN »

This is a '72 Jeepster? Looks like a J10 from the photo angle or possibly a Wagoneer? I always thought these looked great with a medium lift and 33-36" tires.
DaemonForce
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by DaemonForce »

I6FAN wrote:This is a '72 Jeepster? Looks like a J10 from the photo angle or possibly a Wagoneer? I always thought these looked great with a medium lift and 33-36" tires.
There's no way this thing has Wagoneer parts. I would definitely know that since I'm constantly hunting for such an elusive beast. I've seen one J10 before and this grill matches so I would have to agree. The problem is the trim and the paperwork don't agree. I don't think this was a body swap because the interior looks ordinary but the back end doesn't look right. Maybe it's a hack job?
//___}/,_ll,_\__\,_____
   (o))o))        (o))o))
IH 392

Post by IH 392 »

It's obvious that it's a "J" series pickup, not a "Jeepster", I'd still look at the side of the block to determine the CI of the engine?
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
DaemonForce
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by DaemonForce »

IH 392 wrote:It's obvious that it's a "J" series pickup, not a "Jeepster", I'd still look at the side of the block to determine the CI of the engine?
I'm thinking about checking it out again IF it's still there. I mean Jesus, it's not every day that you see one of those Jeep pickups zipping around on the street let alone one this good just sitting in the scrap yard. With my luck it's probably gone now. I'm a little more interested in the Ford stuff but I really need to figure out how to get my car running again. I need a wiring harness from an OBDI Jeep, probably a 93 Cherokee. Then I need some flexplate with a tone ring. I had no idea what that looked like until yesterday when I went out to I-5 Auto Wrecking. It's a cylindrical ring with very precisely timed cutouts that cover about 1" depth over the torque converter. THAT might cause me some problems when I try to mount up my A-998 but I'll just have to figure it out when I get to that point. I don't know what's appropriate so I'm probably just going to end up getting the 42RE flexplate from Chrysler and hope the A-999 is an identical swap candidate with my A-998.

For now, I just need to focus on getting the wiring harness from a Jeep with a gearbox. I 'm not sure why but when I now look at what I found the other day, I'm guessing this is a close representation of what it's going to look like?

It resembles my icky 258 harness but whatever. This is probably going to eat up most of my free time this weekend. I should probably stock up on beer while I still can. :?

Oh and I finally got the NP229 unloaded and in the work room. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal but for me it kind of is. Weeee! ♥

I just need to clean it up and overhaul it. The NP229 is archaic to the point that nobody knows what it is anymore. O'Reilly doesn't carry the overhaul kit for it and Drivetrain.com offers too many expensive kits to justify. I'm probably going to snag a gasket and small parts kit from Cobra Transmission.
//___}/,_ll,_\__\,_____
   (o))o))        (o))o))