Sanity Check

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
RenoF250
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ7

Sanity Check

Post by RenoF250 »

I talked to the machine shop yesterday and the block and head are in good shape so I am ordering parts now. Here is what I was going to use:

IC944s on the original 4.0 rods, I am grinding and weight matching
Crower BajaBeast 44902
Crower CamSaver lifters
factory springs
JP timing set
Factory pushrods as long as lash is good
Both head and block surface were good so not machining on either, head is getting new exhaust seats.

This leaves me with a 9.2 SCR, 7.65 DCR, and 0.0645" quench, that is more quench than most here like to see but it is less than the factory 0.0725" and the compressions are nearly the same. I calculate factory SCR of 8.7 and DCR of 7.47.

Regardless of quench, I would think a 7.65 DCR should run fine on 87 with no ping.

It is $140 to cut the block and my engine builder says the lower compression is better than the low quench. I would agree. Anyone actually had a problem with this level of quench at the low compression?
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1981
Vehicle Model: CJ8

Re: Sanity Check

Post by akadeutsch »

Why not go for a little more compression? I think you could safely be in the mid 9s using pump gas with no ping. More compression = more power right?
RenoF250

Post by RenoF250 »

akadeutsch wrote:Why not go for a little more compression? I think you could safely be in the mid 9s using pump gas with no ping. More compression = more power right?
Everybody was saying no so I went on the safer side. I have the parts now. It still comes out a little higher compression than stock +cam + extra displacement should be :banana:
the grey ghost
Stroker Displacement: 4.611
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: comanche

Post by the grey ghost »

I built this motor with my pistons between 8-10 thousanths below deck, and a .043 head gasket :-D
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1981
Vehicle Model: CJ8

Post by akadeutsch »

the grey ghost wrote:I built this motor with my pistons between 8-10 thousanths below deck, and a .043 head gasket :-D
And how did it turn out :stick: ?
wjtom
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: wj

Post by wjtom »

10.3 on 93.Why build a motor and do it to run cheap gas?If its a availability thing than thats different.
RenoF250

Post by RenoF250 »

Because I intend to drive it in remote places that might not have good fuel. Reliability and torque are the goals, since I am fairly happy the the 4.2 power and this should easily have 2X as much I did not see a need to over do it.
the grey ghost

Post by the grey ghost »

Oh I'm sorry, the smiley was supposed to say, it runs like a beast, and if you check the cam is 4 degrees advanced, so clocking the distributor is minimal, I only filed the opening in the locating tab an eighth of an inch.
RenoF250

Post by RenoF250 »

the grey ghost wrote:Oh I'm sorry, the smiley was supposed to say, it runs like a beast, and if you check the cam is 4 degrees advanced, so clocking the distributor is minimal, I only filed the opening in the locating tab an eighth of an inch.
So you used the BajaBeast and IC944s? I talked to John Crower and he said to time the cam straight up so I bought a standard timing set and put it in that way. The standard sets are <$40 and everything I read said they last over 200k so I did not see a reason to go with the JP set.

What octane fuel do you run? What injectors and what have you done to tune it?

I have the pistons and cam in. I need new head bolts to go any further.
the grey ghost

Post by the grey ghost »

I installed mine staight up, but if you look at the grind card and do the math its 4 degrees advanced from what I was told by crower, I'm running the icon forged 40 over about 8-10 thousanths below deck, 21cc dish, about 9.5 static but with the cam it much lower, I used the 10lb lighter crank too,yella terra roller rockers, imI'm running black ev6 injectors at the higher 42-49 psi with a custom intake, 3 inch collector that tapers to 2 1/2, through a flowmaster 40 that has a 3 1/2 inch tailpipe with 2 2 1/2 inch custom tips only thing I'm looking at it a new harmonic balancer
broncocliff
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by broncocliff »

Renof250 - Do you have yours running now? I was wondering how the stock springs were working with that cam and how you like the cam you got? I am needing to buy one and can't seem to pick one yet.
RenoF250

Post by RenoF250 »

broncocliff wrote:Renof250 - Do you have yours running now? I was wondering how the stock springs were working with that cam and how you like the cam you got? I am needing to buy one and can't seem to pick one yet.
Not yet unfortunately, planning to put it in tonight. New injectors coming tomorrow, hopefully I will get it mostly done over the weekend and be able to fire sometime next week.
the grey ghost

Post by the grey ghost »

Mine is running on stock springs now with no problems at all, I have the discontinued molar springs and locks to install, but haven't found the need yet, it revs right through 5000 roasting the tires
broncocliff
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by broncocliff »

the grey ghost wrote:Mine is running on stock springs now with no problems at all, I have the discontinued molar springs and locks to install, but haven't found the need yet, it revs right through 5000 roasting the tires
Thats good to know. What cam are you running?
RenoF250

Post by RenoF250 »

broncocliff wrote:
the grey ghost wrote:Mine is running on stock springs now with no problems at all, I have the discontinued molar springs and locks to install, but haven't found the need yet, it revs right through 5000 roasting the tires
Thats good to know. What cam are you running?
He said same as mine except for some deck dimensions so it is a Crower Baja Beast.

Mine is in the Jeep now. Have to get the alternator position figured out and get it wired plus put a bunch of other stuff back.