4.6L Low Buck Stroker Build

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Re: 4.6L Low Buck Stroker Build

Post by jsawduste »

shawnxj wrote:if you really want to give it some air get a dodge or jeep 4.7 throttlebody and run this adapter. i designed it last year and a buddy makes them

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/191118014177?lpid=82
Shawn, I`ve been asleep at the wheel. This adapter allows the use of what size TB from what year 4.7 ? And the throttle cable bolts up, right ?
What has to happen to the intake manifold opening ? How about the TB itself, any machining on the throat to remove the taper ?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

The larger WJ TB is 68mm.

The linkage doesn't bolt up. The most common method is to weld the 4.0L throttle plate onto the WJ. However, in some situations it requires the removal of the part of the WJ throttle plate that keeps the blade off the throttle body bore.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

orty65 wrote: Oil pressure was around 15-20 psi. Not sure what normal should be?
After a cam break in the engine oil will be very hot. I wouldn't use the PSI during that time for any indication of anything. As long it isn't zero after the cam break in its nothing to work about. Drive it more then see what that oil pressure is.
Also wondering if I should change the oil now, or just the filter? Did a search and got mixed results. I'm runninng royal purple break-in oil in it now.
Changing the cam break in oil has its advantages but with something like Royal Purple (not cheap) I would run it for about 500 miles the change the oil and filter.
orty65
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: grand

Post by orty65 »

I ended up finding a 62 mm throttle body and am using that now. Also picked up a wideband o2 sensor and a/f ratio gauge. Also got that installed.

Having some issues with the transmission now though. Pretty sure the pump is shot, it doesnt seem to be cirrculating fluid. I have a spare tranny the i might be putting in this week. Hopefully I can finally take this thing for a spin next weekend. :cheers:

Changing the cam break in oil has its advantages but with something like Royal Purple (not cheap) I would run it for about 500 miles the change the oil and filter.
Good to hear, I would hate to spend another $50 on oil lol.
orty65
Noob
Noob

Post by orty65 »

update: I got the transmission issues all figured out and squared away. Its wired up and working correctly now.

I was able to take the jeep out this weekend for a test ride. First thoughts, it revs up pretty quick! It seems to be faster than my old 4.0 not 100 percent sure because I don't remember what the stock 4.0 felt like, its been awhile since I've driven one haha

A few things that worry me, oil pressure; It reads around 10 on the gauge on a cold startup idling. once it gets warmed up it will barely register on it, idling. I give it some gas and it comes up some. I picked up a mechanical gauge thinking it might be off. i've got the mechanical gauge hooked up to where the stock sensor was. Is there supposed to be oil moving through the plastic line or air?

Second thing. After a few test runs with it, It developed a tick, or knock. It doesnt do it at idle, but it will do it as you rev up the engine. Sounds like its coming from up high, more like a valve train issue than a rod knock? Hoping my cam bearings did'nt go out do to lack of oil pressure and now its knocking becuase of that?

Any thoughts?

SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

orty65 wrote: i've got the mechanical gauge hooked up to where the stock sensor was. Is there supposed to be oil moving through the plastic line or air?
Oil. Air is compressible and won't give true pressure.
Second thing. After a few test runs with it, It developed a tick, or knock. It doesnt do it at idle, but it will do it as you rev up the engine. Sounds like its coming from up high, more like a valve train issue than a rod knock? Hoping my cam bearings did'nt go out do to lack of oil pressure and now its knocking becuase of that?
A tick or knock? The Comp cam will be noisy, but it should more like a bunch of ticks instead of one... like a rattle at certain RPM.
orty65
Noob
Noob

Post by orty65 »

I did notice the type writer tick the comp cam made. This seems to be a little louder and not as consistent. I took a video of it

View Video, http://s981.photobucket.com/user/ortlof ... g.mp4.html
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I hear it. Not normal. Is it loudest from the valve cover? If so I would pull the valve cover and inspect. What is your preload? I would check that.

Were you able to correctly determine your oil pressure?
orty65
Noob
Noob

Post by orty65 »

Well I pulled the valve cover today, everything appeared normal, there were no loose rocker arms. So i decided to start it up with the valve cover off and.... theres no oil coming out of the pushrods, everything was dry. :brickwall:

Not sure what could be wrong, bad cam bearings? oil pump pick up cam loose and its sucking air? I do have a small leak from my oil pan gasket, i was thinking about dropping the pan and inspecting the cam bearings and oil pump.
wjtom
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: wj

Post by wjtom »

I would expect to 60 plus pounds with a high volume pump and good clearances.Stock pump will give you 60.I would check the oil pump and make sure its sitting flush on the block.There is a thread on here with pictures of what to look for.Basically the mounting pad makes contact with the corner of the pump.Did you prime the motor before startup?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

What push rods are you running and what is your preload?

For checking the oil pump see here: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =34&t=2671
jsawduste
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

As a point of reference.

Melling HV pump and 10W-30 Brad Penn. 25-30 psi at idle and 55-60 at anything off idle. Engine temp @ 210.

Sorry to say you have an oil flow/pressure issue and it may have already done some damage via the knock your hearing. Start at the pump and work from there. :boom:
orty65
Noob
Noob

Post by orty65 »

Stock 4.0 pushrods, not sure what brand. I'm not sure what the preload is set at either. I will have to check.

I was able to drop the pan today and there is a lot of metal shavings in the bottom of it. Im guessing its cam bearing material and the bearings are shot. Now to figure out why they failed.

SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I would verify the preload.

Did you look up at teh cam bearings? What are you using for a cam retention device?

Its one of two things. Either the low oil pressure caused the bearing failure or the bearing failure caused the low oil pressure. I would investigate the oil pump based on that thread I linked.

I've been there and I really know how you feel.

Is that an IR cordless impact?
wjtom
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: wj

Post by wjtom »

Thats why i asked if you primed the motor before start up? if it had good oil pressure then something failed after startup if it didnt have good oil pressure while priming then something was wrong from the beginning. This is why i always prime a motor on the engine stand.If something was left out an oil a galley plug as an example youll know before putting the motor in.With pieces that big it needs to come out again.