Question on Cranks

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Plechtan
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 5.0L 4x4
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Question on Cranks

Post by Plechtan »

I have reading some information Cranks, and some comments have been made about the "Long Snout" on the 258 cranks, and on the listing of the cranks i see reference to 54MM and 64MM in relation to the cranks, is this the length of the shaft on the front of the crank or the diameter? Is there large diameter and long ends?

I need a 3.6" stroke on the LSR motor, so i can offset grind a 4.0 ( 8 counter weight) crank, or look for a 232 ( 12 counterweight ) crank. The 258 has a 3.9" stroke and it would be extremely difficult to make it a 3.6" stroke. The 232 is a 3.5" stroke, so it would be easer to regrind it for a 3.6" stroke, but i am not sure of the differences on the front of the crank.
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds Fastest Comanche Prroject
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Re: Question on Cranks

Post by Mgardiner1 »

The difference between the early 258 cranks and the 242 crank is the length of the snout. I had to make a .260 spacer rather then pay the machine shop $80 to lob off .250 of the crank nose.
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
John
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Re: Question on Cranks

Post by John »

Yes it is the snout length. I make spacers to accommodate the long snout cranks by slicing sections from a old harmonic balancer.
John