Yet Another 1st stroker...

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Ianf406
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Yet Another 1st stroker...

Post by Ianf406 »

Hey guys- I am sorry to bug ya Im sure you get a lot of these questions-
I am a member of several other forums and after not really getting the answers I need I figured Ide come ask the experts.
First off I have a 99xj, 6.5" lift,Auto, 4.10 gears- Dana 44s etc and after reading/shopping around/ I have decided to go with the Golen Engine Service 4.6 stroker. - https://www.golenengineservice.com/engines/jeep. He seems to have a great reputation and it comes with a great warranty. To be honest, I chose to go with a built one as I do not trust myself to do one correctly. I can pull engines out, put one etc but working on the internals is not something I want to tinker with.

So what I have come up with so far- my list of parts (feel free to pick apart)
- Ordering the fuel injectors from Golen
- Ordering rocker upgrade from Golen
- New Brown Dog Industries Motor Mounts- http://browndogindustries.com/S2572-0HX ... g-Kit.aspx
- A HD Torque Convertor from Torqo Industries
- a 62mm throttle body off Ebay (bored)
- I have a Spectre cowl intake- http://www.quadratec.com/products/17006_7101_07.htm -incase you are not familiar- called and asked them, they said rated at 450 cfm which golen said is enough.
- several other little things like getting rid of the AC and moving alternator up
- a new set of headers/exhaust- (no sure yet and there lies my question)

So my question is this: first does everything look okay as far as my plans go? and 2nd, what headers/exhaust do you guys recommend? Almost all of the headers I find online are 2.125" outlet diameter and then I read about people with normal 4.0s going as large as 2.5 on the exhaust. I will be taking it to an exhaust shop to get it done as I have a few other parts that wont allow me to order a catback and slap it on. I am just curious what you guys recommend as far as cat-muffler-exhaust size/headers. Thanks for your time!
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1981
Vehicle Model: CJ8

Re: Yet Another 1st stroker...

Post by akadeutsch »

Here is some information from Kolak performance and his 2.5" exhaust.

Here's all the information about my 2.5" exhaust for your 2000 WJ I6. We can go with 3" for just $10.00 more than the pricing below:

The exhaust on the WJ 4.0 can benefit by a number of modifications. First off, the pipe diameter is too small -- The optimal pipe diameter is 2.5", and the factory uses 2.25". factory pipe also suffers from kinks and poor bends. When you have the exhaust shop install the components, specify that he uses 2.5" tubing to replace the tubing that goes from the exhaust manifold to the converter, and of course to tie the muffler, converter, and tailpipe together. This will really improve the flow of the system, without sacrificing low end torque.

Of course, the converter and muffler will have 2.5" inlets and outlets. For the converter, I recommend the Magnaflow high flow converter. This is the highest flowing converter in their lineup, all stainless construction and fully seam welded. The same converter recently won top honors in the Hot Rod magazine converter shootout.

For the muffler, I recommend Flowmaster, specifically the Flowmaster 70 series. Flowmaster mufflers don't utilize any internal packing (which can burn out). Instead they utilize a unique system of baffles and chambers, which give them their unique sound. They flow really really well, and also are fully seam welded (no crimps).

They are fully aluminized, and Flowmaster states that corrosion resistance is equal to stainless steel. The 70 series muffler has a deep, authoritative tone that makes the 4.0 I6 sound much like a V8. There's no rpm sensitive droning, just a very deep tone.

For the tailpipe, I can supply a custom 2.5" mandrel bent tailpipe made by yours truly that will work really well with your system. It utilizes the stock exhaust hanger, and being mandrel bent, has perfect bends.

Price for the components including the Magnaflow high flow converter, 70 series Flowmaster muffler, and the mandrel bent 2.5" tailpipe is $369.00.

If you're also interested in headers, I carry the Mike Leach designed Doug Thorley header for the WJ I6. This is a tri-Y (3 collector) design, and it really makes a big power difference with a very broad powerband and excellent power and torque gains across the rpm range. This header has a lifetime warranty, and uses 14 gauge tubing with 1/2" laser cut flanges -- the heaviest in the industry. The header is ceramic coated inside and out, a particular benefit for the I6 engine. The coating radically reduces radiated heat into the engine compartment, and given the close proximity of the I6 intake manifold, much cooler intake air will result. That means more power and excellent detonation resistance. The ceramic coating also eliminates worries about header cracking. There's a lifetime warranty on the coating as well. Price is $499.00.
RenoF250
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Model: CJ7

Re: Yet Another 1st stroker...

Post by RenoF250 »

What state are you in? What sort of smog laws? If you can get away with it that Kolak system sounds pretty nice.

450 cfm is "enough" for ~5,500 rpm in a stroker, that is at its rated flow. Personally I think that is going to be a restriction, I would like to be able to use the spectre myself but I think you really would have wasted your time boring the throttle body to put that on.

Why not stock rockers?