7120 head

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
jeffc80444
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

7120 head

Post by jeffc80444 »

I am wondering what years can I expect to find a 4.0LH.O. head with casting # 7120? Obviously, starting with 1991 to ??? And then to what extent do you recommend mods for it? Bigger valves=more torque, port and polish??? And what determines the choice for thickness of the head gasket? Don't mean to sound stupid here but I picked up a stroker kit ready to put together for a smoking deal and couldn't let it go. I was planning on buying an assembled one from Golen eventually but got this sooner than I could do a lot of research on these things. Basically I'm very beginner at this but would like to put it in before the winter ends. (I didn't get the head with the kit)
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: 7120 head

Post by IH 392 »

IIRC? '91-'95 on the years the 7120 was used, in all applications.
The jury is still out on bigger valves, some say the shrouding cancels out the extra size?, the stock valves will give the engine plenty of air, a light clean up of the ports is ok, anything more is only necessary if you run it right against the rev limiter all the time!
Get a Victor head gasket, it's the thinnest one available, it helps reduce the quench, less is always better there!
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel