Connecting rods

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Connecting rods

Post by dwg86 »

Just saw thses on the net www.racepartsusa.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=458 . I called and they said they don't have them. I called Eagle and they said it was an old part number and they haven't been made for years. I wonder how many phone calls it would take to get them to produce them again. I know they aren't the H beam rods, but they are much easier on the pocket book, and for $209.00 I would by a set. I called a machine shop today and they quoted a price of $175.00 to rebuild and shot peen 6 connecting rods, and that doesn't include the price of the arp rod bolts.
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Connecting rods

Post by seanyb505 »

258 connecting rods are 5.875" and the 242 rods are 6.123". I would think you might as well just get 242 rods.
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

I have a set of 4.0 rods 6.125(and a set of 258 rods 5.875), but after seeing what the price will be to have them reconditioned, I would rather have new forged ones for the same price.

I am still undecided if I am going Kieth Black or Speed Pro.
Plechtan
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 5.0L 4x4
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by Plechtan »

I am still working on getting some custom rods, If they are "semi Custom" Just a wider bottom end, about $150 ea. Totally custom about $200.00 ea. The major difference between a Jeep rod (other than the bottom end)a Chevy rod is the pin bore. Most pistons use a .927 floating pin held in with retainers, the Jeep rod uses a .931 press fit pin. The KB944 pistons have the .931 as well as the stock pistons. If you want to use an aluminum rod, you can't use the press in pin, so now you need custom pistons, or sombody to modify your pistons for an oversize pin and put the grooves in for the retainers.
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds Fastest Comanche Prroject
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

Plechtan wrote:I am still working on getting some custom rods, If they are "semi Custom" Just a wider bottom end, about $150 ea. Totally custom about $200.00 ea. The major difference between a Jeep rod (other than the bottom end)a Chevy rod is the pin bore. Most pistons use a .927 floating pin held in with retainers, the Jeep rod uses a .931 press fit pin. The KB944 pistons have the .931 as well as the stock pistons. If you want to use an aluminum rod, you can't use the press in pin, so now you need custom pistons, or sombody to modify your pistons for an oversize pin and put the grooves in for the retainers.
Check out these rods on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rubicon- ... enameZWDVW
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

I don't think i'd spend $450 on rods that have a description of "You are bidding on a BRAND NEW set of Eagle H Beam Rods for a Jeep 4.0. These are a great set of rods so buy now or bid today."
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
John
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by John »

505 had a lot of those at one time for kits. New old stock eagle forged rods. Good chit.
John
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

Can arp rod bolts be installed without resizing the rods, or after the rods have been resized with the stock bolts? I can buy a set of rebuilt connecting rods a lot cheaper than having mine resized, but I have arp rod bolts that want installed.
Alex22
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Alex22 »

dwg86 wrote:Can arp rod bolts be installed without resizing the rods, or after the rods have been resized with the stock bolts? I can buy a set of rebuilt connecting rods a lot cheaper than having mine resized, but I have arp rod bolts that want installed.
You can just put ARP rod bolts in your rods without resizing them, is it a good idea, NO. Chances are the ARP bolts will have a different amount of press fit than the stock ones and when torqued up with more torque than a stock bolt the housing bore will change enough to cause worry. I do know people who have done (out of ignorance at the time) and were very lucky not to have an issue with oil clearances and holding the bearing in place.

What will your local machine shop charge to resize the stock rods after the ARP bolts have been installed?

~Alex
The enemy of good thing is wanting something better.
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

They want $175.00 to shot peen and resize.
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by seanyb505 »

My machining was expensive, and they charged 100 just to recondition the rods with the ARP bolts.
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4