Mikey's Stroker build

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Mikey's Stroker build

Post by SilverXJ »

Go with the 8.8. It is stronger than a D44. As for your AFR I hope someone else chimes in because I still think your WOT is lean.
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

I am not disagreeing that my WOT should be a touch more on the rich side, but i am very curious as to what condition is created when over 4K RPM

I may have located a 8.8 for $250 with disk brakes and LSD diff. Would need to re-gear though, and travel 250 miles to get it
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
oletshot
Donator
Donator

Post by oletshot »

Sorry to hear about the axle, but I may be able to benefit from it. My son keeps talking about upgrading the shafts on his D35 for use with the stroker. I keep telling him "D35 + 34in. tires + stroker = BOMB" no matter what axle shaft you use. I think he is convinced, but reading this confirms not to waste money polishing a turd, you still end up with a POS. If you end up doing the 8.8 let us know how it goes and the problems you have, as we'll be doing it soon to.
I'm not clever enough to have a clever signature. I'll just steal yours.
'98 XJ 2-door, '94 YJ.
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Yeah my continued money pit will continue to have its story unfold here. After doing a little leaf clean up in the yard, i'm going to back it in and see exactly what let go. My axle shafts are 2 weeks old, so i may try to ask if i can have them warrantied (12 month/12,000 miles) to keep me going in the mean time. Then i'll just practice abstenance from WOT in low gears.

I'm most likely going to pick up that axle that is 200 miles from me. Ford 8.8 from 97 explorer with disk brakes and LSD carrier. I would just need to re-gear it. I would also consider doing SOA conversion, but i think my lifted spring packs on top of the axle would be over the top. Besides, it just has enough clearance now to get it into the garage.
John
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by John »

Mgardiner1 wrote:Cool i appreciate the information. The 8.8 is what i've been searching for the most. What kind of stress have you and your group of guys been putting these 8.8's through? I do not like the idea of the c-clip axles.... but then again i don't like the idea of my light duty D35 that is apparently not a match for my sweet running stroker!
I like climbing ledges with mine. Keep a eye on the oil levels, remember you can tweak it at the end flange, if you are concerned about the c clip, there is a super 88 for this axle that gives you alloy shafts drilled for both 5on5 and 5 on 4.5 bolt patters and eliminates the c clip. The std. c clip eliminator for this axle is available but not recommended for off road use. I have a ARB front and rear and have had no problems in nearly 3 years of use now. Do you know how to set a slip lock even tighter? Most of the Explorer units I have seen were in need of rebuild. They weren't set up that tight new, soccer mons didn't like chirping the tires when cornering.
John
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

John i appreciate all of your information. I've considered the electric actuated locker assembly, but i just don't have money for it at this point.... I will check the condition of the LSD assembly when i get this axle.

I've also learned something. I'm not liking the idea of the c-clip design, but after some reading, i've leard that with the disc brakes, the caliper and rotor will act as a retention device in the event of an axle failure.

I slid both axle shafts out today out of my D35. Both shafts are intact. So i guess the spider gear assembly exploded.... I'm not really in the mood to disassemble it and get covered in gear oil. I just know that its not working. I may open it up and see about replacing the broken pieces so i can use the vehicle until i get a new axle reconditioned and prepped to be installed
John

Post by John »

Let me know if you need anything for it as far as used parts go, I could come up with most parts for the price of postage to you.
John
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Thats fantastic, i'll keep you in mind if i need anything. Do you have disk or drum type axles?
John

Post by John »

On the TJ I have the disc brakes, There is a large box upstairs in the barn that says 35 parts, and there is a drum brake 35 beside the shop waiting to go to my junkyard buddy. Not sure which you were asking about.
John
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

I'm sorry John, i was refering to the 8.8 axles you said you've been using. Do you have disk or drum setups for the 8.8 rears? Did you have to do any kind of master cyilnder or proportion valve modifications?
John

Post by John »

I have the 8.8 disc brakes, use the 8.8 emergency fairly often to keep it adjusted or you will not think it works.I am running this with all 1999 OEM brake system otherwise, Damn good highway brakes, with the automatic transmission it is a little short of locking it up on a dime in lo range 4wd, sometimes you miss having a clutch. I am happy with the brakes all in all. Hydro boost would be better but $$$. In your case find a double diaphragm master from the 95 wrangler or a master cyl from a e350 either would be a big upgrade.
John
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

I'm going to pick up my 8.8 this weekend. I've got a 4.11 kit on order, the carbon disk LSD rebuild, and the major (axle seal to axle seal) installation kit. I'm going to see if i can turn the rotors. Brake pads will be a no brainer but will source them locally. I've also got a M.O.R.E 8.8 mounting kit on order. They have x-mas specials already and i got it $30 less!

John, any info you can provide on the brake lines? the hard lines will be easy. I've read some people using soft lines to the calipers though. Is that needed or can one do hardlines all the way?
John

Post by John »

I used hard lines to the outside of the coil buckets and then soft lines to the wheel cylinder I would guess you can run hard lines the full width of the axle. here's more than you want to know about the swap.
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sh ... p?t=674123 Info on the YJ/xj there as well as part numbers etc.
John
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Thanks John, already had it saved as a favorite :-)
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

You need soft lines to the calipers as they do move. I have seen people use hardlines all the way to the caliper, but that is just a bad idea. As for the prop valve this is what I found on my XJ. I initially took the o-ring out, but that proved to make the brakes mushy. I then put the o-ring back in and used just the prop valve spring from a ZJ and it works much better. Also, if you are changing your vacuum booster and MC out take a look at a setup from a WJ. I will be putting one in mine (need to swap the rod over or mod it) as I heard there is a significant improvement in braking from that.