Intake?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
bpranes
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Intake?

Post by bpranes »

So I have an 88 Jeep that I'm putting a stage 2 stroker kit in. I got a new cam, crank, pistons, etc etc along with a 7120 head (ported and polished). I'm going to order an APN header, and need to get an intake too. Since the head is for a 91-98 jeep, and i have an 88, what intake do i need to get? What brands do you guys recommend or do you have a direct link to one that would work for me? Thanks
cruiser54
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Re: Intake?

Post by cruiser54 »

Using the Renix intake gasket, port match both the head and your Renix intake to that gasket. Use a 60mm throttle body from www.strokedjeep.com. I've done 3 of them with excellent results.
Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips can be found here :
www.cruiser54.com
Wanna view my technical photos? WARNING: Renix heavy!!
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L

Post by Muad'Dib »

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend etc. I personally would (and did) opt for the 99+ intake TB etc.. but it requires more money to accommodate on a RENIX.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
bpranes
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by bpranes »

Muad'Dib wrote:I guess it depends on how much you want to spend etc. I personally would (and did) opt for the 99+ intake TB etc.. but it requires more money to accommodate on a RENIX.
I'm willing to spend whatever as long as I get the best one
bpranes
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by bpranes »

It's the 7120 head so it's only a 91-95 head I found out. Would a 99 intake still work?
shawnxj
I love this board
I love this board
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by shawnxj »

yes
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L

Post by Muad'Dib »

You can check my build thread but here are the basics:

99+ Intake Manifold
99+ Fuel Rail
99+ Throttle Body
91+ Fuel lines (Or adapt them to the fuel rail)
TPS Adapter of choice (Or adapt your TPS)
91+ Throttle Cable
91+ Throttle Valve (TV) Cable if you have AW4.

The main thing you want to do with RENIX is re-use all your electronics.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
bpranes
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by bpranes »

Going today to pick up a new block instead of using mine and to pick up a 91+ intake manifold, throttle cable, injector rail, and throttle body from a junkyard. Is that all that I will need for the intake? and I have my head and everything else in my stroker kit made for an 88 block, so should i just pick up another 88 block? What year blocks would I be safe getting?
honkysXJ
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: almost stroked
Vehicle Year: 1997

Post by honkysXJ »

For the block a lot of people say renix blocks are pretty tuff and "seasoned" but most seem to go for the revised "nvh" blocks
Cant recall the exact year they started those but there's a write up in the FAQ section on block casting and years! Also for the intake manifold most people say the 99&1/2 horseshoe shaped ones are the best I retrofitted one to my 97 Xj and all I had to do is extend a vacuum line (easy) some people have had clearance issues using them with aftermarket headers but nothing a love tap with a ballpene hammer can't fix! I intalled mine with upgraded injectors and it seemed to make my stock 4.0 more peppy (I THINK)
Not sure if you've checked it out but as he said you should look at muads buid he's got a lot of info on renix block and modifying them in fact its some peoples opinion that the renix are the best 4.0 blocks
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

Every RENIX block I've torn down had ring ridge from here to the end of the earth!, both of the OBDII blocks have torn down have virtually no wear at all?, the one I know the mileage on has NO ring ridge to speak of?, and the second was so clean that I inquired about STD. KB 944's for my build, but I had it bored to .020" as that was the smallest piston I could get?
The only reason we use RENIX blocks is that we seem to get them for free??
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
honkysXJ

Post by honkysXJ »

Every RENIX block I've torn down had ring ridge from here to the end of the earth!, both of the OBDII blocks have torn down have virtually no wear at all?, the one I know the mileage on has NO ring ridge to speak of?, and the second was so clean that I inquired about STD. KB 944's for my build, but I had it bored to .020" as that was the smallest piston I could get? The only reason we use RENIX blocks is that we seem to get them for free??

Although I've never tore down a renix engine I am in complete agreement with the above statement and if I was in your shoes I would try to find the newest lowest mile engine I could and build from there (since your buying a different one anyway) personally I would look for a 97-99 Xj that's wrecked in the back! Wj's and tj's have different motor mounts after 99 Xjs went to the coil pack
bpranes
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by bpranes »

honkysXJ wrote:Every RENIX block I've torn down had ring ridge from here to the end of the earth!, both of the OBDII blocks have torn down have virtually no wear at all?, the one I know the mileage on has NO ring ridge to speak of?, and the second was so clean that I inquired about STD. KB 944's for my build, but I had it bored to .020" as that was the smallest piston I could get? The only reason we use RENIX blocks is that we seem to get them for free??

Although I've never tore down a renix engine I am in complete agreement with the above statement and if I was in your shoes I would try to find the newest lowest mile engine I could and build from there (since your buying a different one anyway) personally I would look for a 97-99 Xj that's wrecked in the back! Wj's and tj's have different motor mounts after 99 Xjs went to the coil pack
I picked up a block with the same casting number as mine, making it an 87-91. I did that because I had my HO head built to fit my 88 so I wanted to play it safe. I'm going to bore it .030 over. I got the pistons, crank, and all that shit with the block so I'll have to tear all that shit out. I got new cam, crank, pistons, header, rods, head, and all that. I also picked up an intake manifold, throttle body, and injector rail off of a wrecked Grand Cherokee with an HO head. I got all that from the junk yard for $250, not too bad, right?
honkysXJ

Post by honkysXJ »

If it was already pulled that's a hell of a deal but if you had to pull it that's about the going rate in Indiana anyway for a v6 engine ,I've never done the renix to H.O swap and don't personally know the details of the swap but I imagine renix to renix has gotta be a hell of a lot less of a puzzle! I will say the thread started about (intakes) and as I said supposedly the 99&1/2 horseshoe is the best with better runner's and more volume I have no proof but I swear it woke my Xj up with a injector upgrade but that's another debated jeep upgrade! If you Google jeep stroker there's a guy name Cori on pirate 4#4 and I'm pretty sure he's one of the few I read talking up the renix his build is like 400hp turbo stroker but he's got a few controversial points ! Different strokes for different folks regardless your swap should be straight forward :rockout:
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

honkysXJ wrote:Although I've never tore down a renix engine I am in complete agreement with the above statement and if I was in your shoes I would try to find the newest lowest mile engine I could and build from there (since your buying a different one anyway) personally I would look for a 97-99 Xj that's wrecked in the back!
nothing wrong with the 00-01 XJ blocks.
Wj's and tj's have different motor mounts after 99 Xjs went to the coil pack
XJs went to coil rail in 2000.
honkysXJ

Post by honkysXJ »

nothing wrong with the 00-01 XJ blocks
True, But there is something wrong with the heads ,we all know what that is!