Stroker in a Rebel...

AMX's, Gremlins, Pacers, Ramblers, Eagles etc.
oxide80
Vehicle Year: 1968
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Rebel

Stroker in a Rebel...

Post by oxide80 »

Toying with the idea of replacing the 232 in my 68 Rebel with stroked 4.0. I know V8 is an option (if I could find a donor car) but I kinda like the idea of keeping it a 6 cyl. Has any one built one for use in a street car? Id like just a simple motor... no EFI, no power streeting, and a delco alt to replace the Motorola unit.. Id like 10:1 comp, big vaves, lumpy cam, and a 4bbl carb. Has anyone built one?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Stroker in a Rebel...

Post by SilverXJ »

oxide80 wrote: big vaves,
Why?
oxide80
Vehicle Year: 1968
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Rebel

Post by oxide80 »

well a couple of the heads I was looking at were ported and polished and ran 1.94 to 2.02 GM valves. I know its prob overkill for a street motor, but I want more higher reving and less lower end. In the past I always used modded 1.94's and 2.02 haeds when building SBC. The only 6 Cyls I have built were bone stock, one 258, a 300 Ford, and a few GM 250's. So anyhting performnce for a 6 is ne w to me.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

I have seen no proof that the larger valves provide any benefit due to shrouding, just adding weight to the valve train. As for a large lumpy cam, I would also advise against that. These engine don't like to rev as would an engine with a larger cam. A stroker would be fun in s alight street car.
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

I say go for the V8!, I swapped the 232 in my American for a 258 then a 4bbl 343! and then a 360! :cheers:
The stroker should bolt right in?, you may find the oil pan hangs down farther than with the 232?, IIRC?, the 258 hang down more than the 232 did??
If you go V8 you'll need to change the cross member too!, there are two sizes for the AMC's, big & small, I know this first hand!, I had the V8 cross member from the donor Javelin all painted and ready to install and it was 2" to wide!, I had to get one out of a Hornet!
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel