Valve clearance

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Steventirrell
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Valve clearance

Post by Steventirrell »

I'm about to put my stoker back together after all the machine work. It has an upgraded comp cam and magnum springs. My question is on testing valve clearance before I have to button this engine up. The head has been decked because of warping. Should I test the valve clearance and if so can it be done with hydraulic lifters. I am under the impression that hydraulic lifters leak down and cause false readings. Do I really need to find a solid lifter?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Valve clearance

Post by SilverXJ »

Yes, you would need a solid lifter. However, you can take an old hydraulic apart, remove the lower spring and replace it with washers or nuts.. or something to make it solid. Use it check.

While it is a good idea to check all valve train clearances you really don't need to check piston to valve clearance on these engines.
Steventirrell
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by Steventirrell »

SilverXJ wrote:Yes, you would need a solid lifter. However, you can take an old hydraulic apart, remove the lower spring and replace it with washers or nuts.. or something to make it solid. Use it check.

While it is a good idea to check all valve train clearances you really don't need to check piston to valve clearance on these engines.
Thanks for the info. I was just worried because the machine shop said the took a lot off when they milled the head.
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

I wouldn't worry about valve to piston clearance on the AMC/Jeep six either?, the only time we ever bent a valve was when the timing chain broke at 5000rpm's and that engine had flat top pistons and the biggest cam we could find!
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
Jeepinscott
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Jeepinscott »

Agree with those guys^^^^ My last motor had the pistons coming out the top .003 and a very agressive cam and still had plenty of clearance.