Need some guidance on a Stroker

Swaping 258 to 4.0, 4.0 parts to 258 etc!
pityocamptes
Noob
Noob

Need some guidance on a Stroker

Post by pityocamptes »

I have a 1974 IHC Scout II with the AMC 258 and T-18 tranny. My AMC 258 recently gave up the ghost, and a V8 swap looks to be a PIA since the tranny sits too far back, would have to do more mods than I care to. Anyways, as an alternative I have been kicking around putting a stroker in. I have some questions that perhaps some can help me with.

Will the 4.6 or 4.7L stroker be a direct bolt infrom the AMC 258? Will I have issues with the bell housing, clutch, flywheel, motor mounts, etc?

Can I reuse most of the covers and pans from the 258 to a stroker? I will probably get a new intake and exhaust (lighter ones over the cast iron boat anchors) - which intake and exhaust mani's are recommended?

I want to stay carb, not interested in FI, so what carb would be the best for performance? 4bbl, 2bbl, etc.

I assume that if the 12 weight crank is used, I can reuse my existing harmonic balancer?

Finally, I have been looking around at builders and contacted Golen and Russ over at Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines. Russ indicated to me that it would run about 3300-3500 ball park. Is that a decent price? Anyone else know of a reputable builder for reasonable money?

Thanks again!
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1981
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ8

Re: Need some guidance on a Stroker

Post by akadeutsch »

Just so I am straight, you are using a 258 block or a 242 block? I am guessing you will be using a 242 4.0L block. I have both a 242 and a 258 engine sitting in my garage. What exactly do you need info on? I will check for you if you tell me exactly what to look for. :cheers: