What out of the box combos would you like to see?

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Eaglestroker
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Mustang

What out of the box combos would you like to see?

Post by Eaglestroker »

Hey folks, I'm currently doing research on popular 4.0L stroker combinations. While I'm having a great time reading up on the various hot combos it seemed like it would be a reasonable assumption to ask the folks that like to build them! The question I'm posing is this:

If you could pick up the phone and order one kit for your 4.0, what would you go with and why? Bore size is not as much of an issue in this situation as you would need to offer multiples.

When I say kit I'm referring to a NEW crank, new rods, new pistons, pins, rings, bearings, and can be balanced.

I am looking for something feasible to produce and sell on a large number scale - that's my interest so tell me yours and I look forward to the responses! :D
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: What out of the box combos would you like to see?

Post by SilverXJ »

What company are you with?
Eaglestroker

Post by Eaglestroker »

SilverXJ wrote:What company are you with?
I'm surprised you really have to ask, quite frankly :) I work for Eagle Specialty Products and head up research on new possible platforms. I have had an interest in this kit myself for a while and have been receiving more and more requests at the shows so it is time to visit the possibilities. Who better to ask than the enthusiasts themselves?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Lol.. you also have to consider the audience.. when I saw the username "Eaglestroker" my initial though was an AMC Eagle wagon with a stroker in it. They did come with the 258 engine.

Anyhow.. we could use anything you guys could come up with.

The only aftermarket rods I know of are sold by 505 Performance, and there isn't much known about the rods themselves. http://www.shop.505performance.com/cate ... egoryId=29 There use to be another company that sold similar offerings, but I am currently unable to find them. I am sure Hesco sells somethign as well.

Cranks, refurbished or Scat.

Pistons, stock 4.0l Cast, KB 944s, Bulltear semi custom, or customs.

Would be nice to see a longer stroke crank with forged rods and pistons to go with it. With in reason of course.

And of course a billet roller cam... that is probably our of your realm of expertise.
shawnxj
I love this board
I love this board
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by shawnxj »

would love to see a real aftermarket head instead of just stock copies
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I don't think they do heads.
Eaglestroker

Post by Eaglestroker »

Rotating assemblies only, so your right there :)
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Most people won't need a forged crank, but I am sure there are some that need it, but most will probably want it.

Using a stock 258 crank, 4.0L rods and KB944 forged pistons the piston is still in the hole around .020". So you have to deck it that much if you want a 0 deck clearance for a .044" quench with the thinner head gasket. I'm sure the piston would have to be left in the hole a bit as a kit just to account for varying deck heights between blocks and other variances. Part of the .020" could be taken up by a longer rod or a longer stroke crank.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

I`d study what Hesco offers. Hesco has forgotten more then most of us will ever learn.

They are using Diamond for their piston supplier. Diamond could make up pistons in most any flavor you might want.

Scat for cranks and you should have the specs for the rods right now.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

SilverXJ wrote:Using a stock 258 crank, 4.0L rods and KB944 forged pistons the piston is still in the hole around .020". So you have to deck it that much if you want a 0 deck clearance for a .044" quench with the thinner head gasket. I'm sure the piston would have to be left in the hole a bit as a kit just to account for varying deck heights between blocks and other variances. Part of the .020" could be taken up by a longer rod or a longer stroke crank.
Or a taller piston. KB could have made their 944/945 pistons with a compression height of 1.373" instead of 1.353" so that even with the production variances in block deck height (9.450-9.456") and rod length (6.123-6.127"), the deck clearance would be anywhere between 0.002-0.012".
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

Pistons that use the metric rings, the old school rings really do eat a lot of available power, and maybe an even bigger dish?, they seem to think everyone see's running premium as a non issue!?
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
Torqsplit
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by Torqsplit »

Anything with quality crank options! I originally built my motor w/ a kit from a company called Accurate Power and it has been pretty sweet(custom forged pistons, floating pins and Eagle forged rods). Sadly they no longer deal in stroker or jeep specific parts last time i checked. The aftermarket supports just about anything you want for one of these engines, but your still left to source a crank from a used application and try make the best of it. Which can be disappointing when attempting to build something w/ performance intentions. Given the company you represent, i would expect you would ensure the best parts are going out the door with your name on them. I've been using your forged rods for quite some time and have been very happy with their service! Looking forward to anything Eagle can put together for us!!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Cheromaniac wrote:Or a taller piston. KB could have made their 944/945 pistons with a compression height of 1.373" instead of 1.353" so that even with the production variances in block deck height (9.450-9.456") and rod length (6.123-6.127"), the deck clearance would be anywhere between 0.002-0.012".
That is an option and it would equate to less cutting to get the desired quench. However, since there is room a longer stroke would be better. Its been a while since I took a look at the KB944s, but maybe the stroker could be increased even more with a different piston.
Eaglestroker

Post by Eaglestroker »

I will say this, utilizing an already made piston is an advantage. I'm not sure of which material crank (cast 5140 or forged 4340) would happen first or at all - most likely one and then the other depending on popularity.

Convenient thing is most of the rod lengths are common and a 2.100" rod journal opens you up to ANY SBC rod we currently offer. Thanks to the folks that use and support our stuff already as well. Keeps folks like me in a job!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I forgot about using a different big rod end as well. That could simply things as well. The KB 944 piston with a 0 deck clearance gives about a 9.5:1, a lower CR in a forged piston would also make sense.