Fuel injectors?

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Fuel injectors?

Post by dwg86 »

I was trying to find some info on fuel injectors. I am getting confused and can't find any good info on the web. I thought maybe someone could steer me in the right direction or have a web site about fuel injectors. Some of my questions...What is the difference between ev1 and ev6 injectors? Which is better? How can you tell which ones are on you vehicle? What about fuel pressure affecting flow.
I have been to fiveO web site and they list seveal different injectors for different year jeep strokers. They also list a 27lb injector for a stroked jeep 4.0. Anyone use these? would they be too big?
It would be greatly appriciated if someone could direct me to a good website or book so I could learn more.
Thanks
ZOID
Noob
Noob

Re: Fuel injectors?

Post by ZOID »

Well I do not know the technical term for the ones i have had for the past 3 years... I can tell you that they are factory on something(my 95 Cherokee has them i believe) And they are Bosch yellow tops. My stroker is a 4.7 that has been beaten for about 4 years straight... Since i put those in i have not ever had a moment that i was lacking any power.

Sorry about the lack of particular info i guess my point is hit up some Junkyards and try the cheep ones first. Like 5.0 Ford injectors or something. If there is a person in this forum that is an "Injector rep" or something i apologize, I'm just cheep!
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Not sure if you have this information, i read this somewhere and applied it to an excel spreadsheet

Injector flow rate = (estimated HP / 2) / (cylinders X .08)

Actual flow rate = Injector flow rate X SQRT(fuel pressure / 43.5)

Example

250hp / 2 = 125
6 cyl / 0.8 = 4.8

125 / 4.8 = 26.04 Injector flow rate

37psi fuel pressure
26.04 inj. rate
sqrt(37/43.5) = .922266 * 26.04 = 24 Actual flow rate
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
ZOID
Noob
Noob

Post by ZOID »

Like i said, Particulars are pretty much a pain in the.... I can tell you the yellow ones will work, give me a day and i will get you the factory #s. this is what i found online for figuring the math. It maybe the same thing you already have. If not compare:
http://www.injector.com/injectorselection.php

Hope it helps, I have never used it myself.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

On the 4.0/stroker engine, a good rule of thumb is roughly 1lb/hr of injector flow for every 10hp that the engine makes at the flywheel.
I have Ford Racing 24lb injectors (rated at 39psi) on my stroker with stock fuel pressure regulator (41psi with vacuum off) and MAP adjuster set at 5.1v (stock is 5.05v). Injector flow is effectively 24.8lb/hr and the 200rwhp that my Jeep puts down is equivalent to 248 flywheel HP.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen: