Engine problems

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
ruffy01
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Engine problems

Post by ruffy01 »

blu3fan wrote:i can rotate the housing. but to make it 3cm its not going to line up with the ears
Quote from Dino's page:

"6) If not, remove the distributor retaining bolt from the block, pull the distributor out until it rotates freely, and rotate the distributor body until the rotor lines up with a mark made exactly 3.0cm clockwise from the edge of the cam position sensor's rubber plug (bottom). This will be just past the no.1 plug wire terminal in a clockwise direction. If you've got it right, the "ears" of the loop for the distributor retaining bolt will be either side of the threaded hole in the block. You should not need to cut the "ears" to correctly position the distributor unless you've installed an aftermarket camshaft."

I think you'll need to cut the ears.
blu3fan
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: cherokee
Vehicle Model: jeep

Post by blu3fan »

ive been doing some research and ive found some people running the same cam i am. who havnt cut their "ears" i just dont want to damage the distributor if its not needed
blu3fan

Post by blu3fan »

and if i do this. where do i put the distributor at 3.5cm past and then move distributor or at 2.5cm
the way i am thinking about it the distributor is slotting into the cam ? and it will only go in one of those two places but which is correct. and how would i bolt the dizzy down with no ears ? pretty sure the retaining bolt relies on those ears to hold it in place.
ruffy01
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by ruffy01 »

Hopefully some one with 1st hand experience will help out here, I've not performed this mod yet.

My experience with other engines, that don't rely upon ears to locate/lock down the dizzy, would tell me that either location (2.5 or 3.5cm) & then turning the dizzy accordingly should yield the same result.
Your dizzy isn't locating on the cam. The shaft w/rotor locates on the cam & the dizzy gets moved around so that spark timing (& injector timing? ) is correct.

BUT, I'm still learning Jeeps, so....some one else?
blu3fan

Post by blu3fan »

yes but jeeps are different. i have a 92 civic hatch also. timing that engine is as easy as pointing the timing light and turning the distributor. then bolting up. so you have to get it just right. and even if you think its right it may not be.
im swimming in ideas of what it could be. the distributor is on my list today of things to look at. im cutting those ears and going to attempt a manual positioning of 3cm. will get back with result
blu3fan

Post by blu3fan »

rotor cap snapped now. was not bolted down funny. shaft on distributor is solid too not a wobble. just utterly stumped.
blu3fan

Post by blu3fan »

new rotor cap installed. ears cut off distributor and manually set to 3cm.
runs great. now thanks for all help.
i think my alternator is bad. while car is running battery dies. and i think it took my new yellowtop with it :( looses charge while not plugged in :*(
ruffy01
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by ruffy01 »

blu3fan wrote:new rotor cap installed. ears cut off distributor and manually set to 3cm.
runs great. now thanks for all help.
i think my alternator is bad. while car is running battery dies. and i think it took my new yellowtop with it :( looses charge while not plugged in :*(
Good to hear mate :D
Not the alternator bit of course, the running great bit :)
blu3fan

Post by blu3fan »

just got back from the junkyard. was there 30mins tops. found a 90 with a rebuilt bosch alternator on it in sharpie its got 2010 on it :). score ! $24 and i found all of the little silly bolts i was missing too. today was a good day. now i just gotta fix the little leak from the rear. pretty sure its the rear main seal :( which is sad cos its new. but hopefully its just the oil pan gasket.