Stroker in my renix?

Dedicated forum for all things electrical... Sometimes Electrical issues can really get you stumped! Not Stroker related.
gobokeneebly
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Stroker in my renix?

Post by gobokeneebly »

Not sure if this belongs here, or if the answers already here somewhere. Ive been searching like crazy all evening and cant find any specific information.

I suppose Ill just start with a mission statement first, and you can point out all the flaws before I get too carried away.

My jeep is a 1990 Cherokee 4.0 ax15. I have a parts jeep, which is a 96 HO and also a five speed. Im planning on using the 96 as my stroker base. my concern is that once I finish building my engine and drop it in, Ill have a hundred sensors and nowhere to plug them in. I would like to think that if I cant plug the sensor into the jeep, I probably don't need it. how wrong am I here? or what can I do about the sensors I don't have?

this may be a stupid question, but its been a long day and I wouldn't be very surprised if there's something that Im not thinking of..
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Stroker in my renix?

Post by Muad'Dib »

You should hold on to all your RENIX sensors and adapt them to work with your new setup.... otherwise you will need to swap out the ECU and associated wiring harness.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
cruiser54
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by cruiser54 »

Cruiser’s HO into Renix Swap

This swap is easier than some will lead you to believe, generally those who have never done it. Those of us who have done it, like myself, will share with you the things that need to be done for a successful swap. Just think of it as swapping in a long block.

The HO and Renix have some differences but none that can’t be overcome very easily.

Any HO engine from an XJ or ZJ through 1998 can be used. One running change was that the rear of the head was no longer drilled and tapped for the temperature gauge sender beginning in the 96 model year. The sender can be relocated to the threaded hole in the thermostat housing taken from the HO engine. You’ll have to extend the wire to that location. Some brave souls even drill and tap the HO head for the sender.

You will be using the intake and exhaust manifolds from your Renix, along with all your sensors and wiring. Since the intake ports of the HO are slightly different, you use the Renix gasket. Exhaust ports are identical.
You will need to use your Renix distributor as it is different than the HO because they use different fuel management systems. The flywheel or flexplate from the Renix must be used so your CPS gets the correct signals. The valve cover from the Renix allows you to keep your CCV system intact and requires no modifications.

The HO block will have a plug in the coolant galley on the driver’s side of the block, closest to the front, which needs to be removed so your Coolant Temp Sensor can be installed in it’s place just as it is on the Renix. It requires a 5/16” square drive or a modified 3/8” drive that has been ground down to fit. Do this before installing the engine.

As for the knock sensor, which is located just above the oil pan on the driver’s side of the engine about mid way, all the blocks I’ve seen are threaded for it. If not, I’ve heard they may be drilled but not tapped. Tap the hole if that’s the case.

Revised 07/24/2012
Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips can be found here :
www.cruiser54.com
Wanna view my technical photos? WARNING: Renix heavy!!
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
bpranes
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by bpranes »

Muad'Dib wrote:You should hold on to all your RENIX sensors and adapt them to work with your new setup.... otherwise you will need to swap out the ECU and associated wiring harness.
So if I put a HO head on my Renix block with bigger injecters and kept all my renix adapters, would i be good to go computer (ECU) wise?

Sorry to bring up an old thread
cruiser54
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by cruiser54 »

bpranes wrote:
Muad'Dib wrote:You should hold on to all your RENIX sensors and adapt them to work with your new setup.... otherwise you will need to swap out the ECU and associated wiring harness.
So if I put a HO head on my Renix block with bigger injecters and kept all my renix adapters, would i be good to go computer (ECU) wise?

Sorry to bring up an old thread
Yes. Good question.

Mine is not in yet but I march ported the intake manifold and the HO head to the REnix gasket.

I've done this previously to 2 HOs into Renix Jeeps with excellent results.
Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips can be found here :
www.cruiser54.com
Wanna view my technical photos? WARNING: Renix heavy!!
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
the grey ghost
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.611
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: comanche

Post by the grey ghost »

Check for the knock sensor hole on the h.o. block, you may have to tap the threads, could save your butt you need it