Starting the Stroker project

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
98grand
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: grand

Starting the Stroker project

Post by 98grand »

My Jeep 4.0 spun a main bearing on it, so am in the process of pulling it, and going to rebuild.
Someone I know has a AMC 258, 81 block, that he dissasembled and was going to rebuild.. will sell me everything for 200. Has all the rebuild kit.
Question is, what can I re-use? Know I want the crank and rods. He has .60 over pistons. I know that the stock 258 pistons are too small, but the .60 over pistons should be close to the same as a .30 over 4.0 piston?

What about rest of the stuff? Assume his new main bearings, cam bearings, etc will all work. He bought a hopped up cam for it, but still not sure if it's better than my 4.0 stock one?

Very noob at this myself, but am fortunate to have the help of someone who is experienced at rebuilding engines help, but he's never done this particular project before either.

Thoughts?
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Starting the Stroker project

Post by Cheromaniac »

The only parts you'll be able to use from that 258 are the crank, rods, rod bearings, and cam bearings. The 258 main bearings won't fit in your '98 4.0L block.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen: