Anyone running the KB 944's ?

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
kris
Learning to use the board

Anyone running the KB 944's ?

Post by kris »

I know a few engines have been built with them...

Im curious about piston slap.
KB claims that their forgings can be assembled tighter than others, for street use that is from .0035"-.0045" piston to bore clearance.

With this kind of clearance, is there any noticable cold slap ?

k.
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: Anyone running the KB 944's ?

Post by Flash »

Theres only a couple guys on her using this piston, and i don't thing they are together yet or at the most, have driven them enough to know.................

My self, i sure would like some cold hard facts about these piston, so i could add then the the FAQ section!

Like, dish volume, piston to deck hight.......was the block decked........ What actual compression was developed...........................................

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
kris

Post by kris »

ok...

Looks like Im starting a build thread in the next few days... :P
Just talked to Jerry at KB. They have .030" over in stock, the .020" over is not available as they have too many .030's right now. He also said that on the piston to bore clearance, .0035" is fine for street use and any slap will subside within a few minutes.

So, Im going for it...

k.
Flash

Post by Flash »

kris wrote:ok...

Looks like Im starting a build thread in the next few days... :P
Just talked to Jerry at KB. They have .030" over in stock, the .020" over is not available as they have too many .030's right now. He also said that on the piston to bore clearance, .0035" is fine for street use and any slap will subside within a few minutes.

So, Im going for it...

k.
Cooool, When you get too that point in Your build, some info that mentioned above would be helpful :cheers:

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

I definitly don't want to start a war, just consider me the messenger :geek:

I dropped off all of my parts at the machinist today. He was happy to see me come in with some Speed Pro Hypereutectic pistons. He said something like "Yeah i'm glad to see you are going to use good parts. I've had guys bring me junk, like Keith Black pistons. I won't even work on a guys engine if he is going to use Keith Black. I machined a block to .002" piston clearance, and it had piston slap like no tomorrow. When we disassembled the engine and measured the bore, and the piston skirt, it was definitly .002". however, we were able to slip a shim around the piston in the bore (can't remember if he said 5 or 10 thousandths shim), thats how bad the skirt flexes and distorts"

Again, thats not what he said word for word. I just found it interesting (especially since didn't volunteer any information)

BTW, many, MANY :cheers: thanks to:
Oletshot, for helping me dish my pistons to 20 CC
dwg86, for making ends meet on my quest for a Mopar 30AB camshaft
Gradon, for a great price on a set 8 degree mopar valve keepers
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)