I've lost my mind.. or an MP90 on a 4.6L

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: I've lost my mind.. or an MP90 on a 4.6L

Post by SilverXJ »

Not much to update. I took a break from grinding on the manifold for a while. I had some other things to attend to plus I am just getting sick of grinding. I started back on it this weekend and I have it 80% of where I want to be.

I did buy Gate's laser belt alignment tool. This tool is a joke. 1) Out of the box it was quite a bit off of calibration. 2) their calibration method is to use a folded piece of paper and align the dot on that. Talk about errors. 3) I talked to gates and voiced my problem. I sent it back to them so they could send it to the manufacture for calibration. I got it back today. I push the button on the laser to turn it on and the laser module slipped from the mount. They didn't even tighten it down sufficiently. 4) After tightening the tool down correctly I then used the rails on the router to calibrate it. I found that just turning it on allowed enough movement in the mount to put it out of alignment, however it went back once I let off the button. I don't have confidence in this device and may look into Dayco's device instead which shoots a line instead of a dot.

I'm also not 100% impressed with the McNally gauge. It works well enough, but it has not auto or even user calibration for altitude. Meaning that if you aren't close to the same elevation as McNally in Florida (118 ft) it will be off when you install it. Well, it was off a bit as I live at an elevation of 2103 ft. I sent it back to them after taking a voltage reading from the sensor, so it is good for now. However, when I move I will once again have to send it back to them. Nice idea, poor execution. Since it has a button they could simply add a feature in the code that if the user holds the button down for 10 seconds or so it would zero the base reading. Or better use a second in gauge sensor to get the ambient reading, then do the math from there. Or even do what Jeep does, gather the ambient reading at key on from the one sensor, however that could be a bit of a problem as they don't know when the gauge will be powered up.

I've also been thinking about the small hole in the hood that I will need and how to cover it up. Moving the hood latch mechanism and modifying the rods is easy enough. I'm leaning toward a fiberglass form similar to the covers on the Dodge Stealth. Mitsubishi 300 GT for the strut towers.. just smaller.

And the exhaust is in the back of my mind. Right now I have a Doug Thorley with a 2.5" outlet into a 2.5" all the way back. I'm not sure this will be enough for the stroker + supercharger. I could modify the Thorley to 3" outlet then a single 3" all the way back. The other option is going with a 00+ header with the dual outlets and either merge them into a single 3" (or larger) or do true duals of smaller pipe.

I'm also debating if I should just go with the stock height Brown Dog HD motor mounts or drop the engine.. maybe .5"... or maybe just keep it at stock height. Suggestions?
beiwulf
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7Turbo soonish
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: ZJ
Vehicle Model: Laredo

Post by beiwulf »

About dropping the engine or changing mounts… Are you looking for the hood clearance ontop because of the SC? Is that why the consideration for changing the mounts or dropping engine some?

And if dropping it down some with your current body height/lift will the pan clearance ok still?
95 Silver ZJ 4x4 4.0L (soon to be stroked/boosted) currently DD
1999 Victory V92 (first year production) street bike/cruiser

95 ZJ Turbo Boosted Stroker build threadhttp://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=4342
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

beiwulf wrote:About dropping the engine or changing mounts… Are you looking for the hood clearance ontop because of the SC? Is that why the consideration for changing the mounts or dropping engine some?
The SC pulley will be up through the hood a bit. I don't recall how much extra clearance it would need. I'll have to check my notes on that later.
And if dropping it down some with your current body height/lift will the pan clearance ok still?
I have a 3.5" lift, bump stopped accordingly, os there will be no pan issue. I will have to have the exhaust down pipe reworked a bit though as to account for the different angle.
beiwulf
Donator
Donator

Post by beiwulf »

Meet the owner's of T and J Performance the other night at the JEEPSPEED -

http://tandjperformance.com/contact-us.html

They have a Heavy Duty Motor Mount kit for about $250 for your XJ

Spoke with Max a minute ago and Tom is the fabricator (one of the owner's & mellow cat) - said that they might be able to swing a drop on the mount setup. Haven't confirmed and not sure what your budget is. I am probably gonna swing by there tomorrow or thursday.

Let me know Chris if you want me to get any more info or pics on that.

95 ZJ Turbo Boosted Stroker build threadhttp://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=4342
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I'm going with Brown Dog engine mounts.
beiwulf
Donator
Donator

Post by beiwulf »

Does Brown Dog mounts offer a drop in the engine block to accommodate your design or do you have something else in mind to drop it down some?

SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

They don't have it listed but will do it.
beiwulf
Donator
Donator

Post by beiwulf »

cool, what are they charging total for the modification and how much are you going to drop that bad boy down?

SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

beiwulf wrote:cool, what are they charging total for the modification and how much are you going to drop that bad boy down?
I am undecided still. Mostly like 3/4". If i decide at all. I could clear the hood with around 3/4", even if i needed a larger pulley, but I am not in favor of dropping the engine down.... don't know why lol. I'm on teh fence about it. Drop it and modify the exhaust.. or leave it where it is and cut the hood. This is probably the hardest decision in the whole build.

Its not that I have a problem cutting a hole in the hood, thats easy. Its covering it up that will be an issue. I would like to keep the hood vents and having another bump or vent in such close proximity may look odd.
Mockup:

I could do something along these lines:

I'll probably make it out of fiberglass just so its the size I need. I could do something similar to one of those Dodge Stealth bumps and mold it into the side of that vent a bit.

Looking at the Reflexxions cowl hood from years ago looks like it would fit the bill perfectly. It looks like the front section starts right where I would need it to be. It would also solve the other problem of routing the air intake tubing to the front. Simon, 1bolt on here, did something similar years ago and used the cowl hood as an intake. Pics here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...=100961&page=2 http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/vi...&t=37&start=30

However, finding one of those hoods would be tricky as I don't think they are making them any longer. And, the original price is more than I would pay, ~$600. There are other cowl hoods available but they aren't steel and I think the Reflexxions one had the best contours and positioning.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

90% finished with grinding. I opted to keep the "buttresses" for some extra strength in that area. The flash makes it look rougher than it is. I was lazy and didn't feel like setting up the tripod or lighting. I may do some more on the outside just for aesthetics.

I6FAN
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.2
Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wrangler

Post by I6FAN »

Been watching this! The only unknown about this is air distribution; 3 & 4 turn a tight 90 degrees while 1&2 and 5&6 have a pretty straight shot. But it may not matter as much being that your forced induction. Your work looks pretty good to me though, and I don't think you could do this any different/better.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I have eliminated most of the tight turns.

Also, after the buttresses it is open until the 5" runner, so when firing they share an open area. More like a gentle curve.
beiwulf
Donator
Donator

Post by beiwulf »

Well a little lower center of gravity isn't bad for street-ability. However clearance for offroading might change a hair. It doesn't really sound like dropping it will effect either in a huge way. More about that cost of a new down pipe/exhaust mod it sounds like. I am more of a fan of keeping it under wraps and trying not to show so much on the hood (personal preference). But the hood scoop seems a little more cost savvy.

I am curious to see how this performs when you get it dialed in. Looks like pretty clean work so far Chris, good job!

btw what did you spray/coat it with?

SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Not coated with anything yet. That last pic is just bead blasted.
dukie564

Post by dukie564 »

why not just make your current hood into a cowl hood. Super easy to cut and bend it up then just add side pieces to close it in