valve, valve spring, retainer info

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
oletshot
Donator
Donator

Re: valve, valve spring, retainer info

Post by oletshot »

Closed height - open height = lift, seems like a logical formula to me. I guess 1+1=2 only works on some of the pages of the FSM. I wonder which is closer to actual lift .405" or .424"? :lol:
I'm not clever enough to have a clever signature. I'll just steal yours.
'98 XJ 2-door, '94 YJ.
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by seanyb505 »

Something doesnt seem right to me, cause I thought the 97-99 cam had .430 intake and exhaust lift, so springs with .424 lift wouldnt cut it. Im probly fried mentally though, but someone correct me if Im wrong.
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Any other suggestions on where to acquire P5249464 Mopar Springs? Advance Auto lets me get to the shipping process, but then returns to my shopping cart and says "None of the items in your cart are currently available in our stores or warehouses. Please contact Customer Service at (877) 808-0698 - alternate items may be available that will meet your needs. "

Oh well. I don't want to pay mopar prices so i guess i'll find the next best thing over stock
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

I've seen many springs that list open height different from the cam lift. Don't know where they come up with the open number.

As for the MP springs.. have you checked Jegs or Summit?
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Summit wants $130 for a set, JEGS wants $107. I just like the Advance Auto price of $83 with free shipping.

I also came across this.... http://www.monicattichrysler.com/comers ... w.asp?r=38 Does that mean i wouldn't be able to run the stock retainers with the MP springs?
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

I know Jegs will match advance on their price of $6.99. I called and told Jegs I saw them for $6.99, they asked me where I saw the price. I told them how to get to the web page, they put me on hold for a minute, and then said "OK we will match that price. Summit should also price match. Just make sure to tell them to hit online shopping first, and then put the mopar number on the next window that opens. If you put the mopar number in the search on the first page it will say"cannot find".
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

Mgardiner1 wrote:Summit wants $130 for a set, JEGS wants $107. I just like the Advance Auto price of $83 with free shipping.

I also came across this.... http://www.monicattichrysler.com/comers ... w.asp?r=38 Does that mean i wouldn't be able to run the stock retainers with the MP springs?

Yes you will have to buy different retainers, because the springs have a bigger diameter.
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

I'm having trouble finding more info about the mopar spring/retainer combination. I hate to sound like a complete idiot, but will the stock valves and stock retainer locks/keepers work with the MP springs and retainers?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

You will also need the flowing with the Mopar Performance #5249464 valve springs
Mopar Performance #4452032 (8*) 8mm retainers
Mopar Performance #4529218 (8*) 8mm locks
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Thanks SilverXJ. The combination you named of the springs, retainers, and keepers, will work with the stock valves (7120 head) ?
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997

Post by seanyb505 »

seanyb505 wrote:Something doesnt seem right to me, cause I thought the 97-99 cam had .430 intake and exhaust lift, so springs with .424 lift wouldnt cut it. Im probly fried mentally though, but someone correct me if Im wrong.
Im dumb this is wrong info. My bad
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

I'm running that combo--springs, locks, and retainers on stock valves, so yes they'll work.
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

Mgardiner1 wrote:Any other suggestions on where to acquire P5249464 Mopar Springs? Advance Auto lets me get to the shipping process, but then returns to my shopping cart and says "None of the items in your cart are currently available in our stores or warehouses. Please contact Customer Service at (877) 808-0698 - alternate items may be available that will meet your needs. "

Oh well. I don't want to pay mopar prices so i guess i'll find the next best thing over stock

I was curious to see if I could order the P5249464 springs from advance auto parts. I went through the whole ordeal, setting up an account, entered shipping and credit card info, got to the last page hit finish.... Got an order number and the total $83.88 shipped free to my house on Aug 27 from their wearhouse in GLENDALE, AZ. So it looks like I got another set of MP P5249464. Don't know what I will do with them. Maybe sell them with one of the 30ab cams I have, or build 2 strokers :o :lol:
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Its funny it wouldn't let me order the springs. I tried to order the springs, retainers, and keepers, and it had no problem with that. Now the problem is that i recieved an e-mail telling me that the keepers and retainers are NLA to them so i'm either stuck spending $140 for just retainers and keepers, or cancelling my order altogether and finding a different spring/retainer combo....

What is a direct fit for stock valves? The cam i am putting in has .440 lift, but i'm most likely going to upgrade the rocker arms to 1.7 either during the build, or down the road, so i'll need like .470ish lift. I also want springs that will be as gentle as possible since i also dont' plan on revving over 4500-4800.

Anybody have any suggestions for me?
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

Mgardiner1 wrote:Its funny it wouldn't let me order the springs. I tried to order the springs, retainers, and keepers, and it had no problem with that. Now the problem is that i recieved an e-mail telling me that the keepers and retainers are NLA to them so i'm either stuck spending $140 for just retainers and keepers, or cancelling my order altogether and finding a different spring/retainer combo....

What is a direct fit for stock valves? The cam i am putting in has .440 lift, but i'm most likely going to upgrade the rocker arms to 1.7 either during the build, or down the road, so i'll need like .470ish lift. I also want springs that will be as gentle as possible since i also dont' plan on revving over 4500-4800.

Anybody have any suggestions for me?
If the mopar performance retainers and keepers are no longer available, I would call crane or comp to see what they have that would work. The one problem I see trying to find a retainer and lock combo to fit any aftermarket spring, is the stock jeep valves are 8mm with a round groove in the valve for the lock. Most locks have a square groove. Looking at retainer and lock dimensions for a combo that might work with the mopar performance springs and stock jeep valves would be...

Comp Cams
747-12 retainer (10 Degree/1.400 OD 1.050 ID) Mopar springs P5249464 Have a 1.420 OD 1.050 ID
632-16 Bead Lock (10 degree for 8mm valve stems)
Crane Cams
99950 Retainer (7 degree Multi fit 1.375 OD 1.030 ID)
99107-1 Bead Groove (multi fit 7 Degree for 8mm valve stems)

I bought the comp cams 747-12 retainers for $45.00 off ebay. Summit shows cca-632-16 for $31.95
Also I called Mopar performance a while ago when researching valve springs . They said I wouldn't be able to use the P5249464 springs on my jeep because the retainers where no longer being made to fit the springs to the stock Jeep 4.0 valves. That wasn't a concern to me because I am using SBC valves. So what retainers and locks are others using when fitting the P5249464 springs to the stock Jeep valves?