4.6 project under construction

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
fannman
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wrangler

4.6 project under construction

Post by fannman »

hey guys im new to the site and i have been lurking in the shaddows and reading alot, im new to the jeep scene but not real new to building a few motors,i have a 92 renegade that im doing the 4.6 build on right now and consists of a new scat crank 4.0 rods, arp rod bolts and a ported polished 7120 head with a comp special grind cam and harland sharp rockers, right now im back at the machine shop for a deck on the block after putting in the icon pistons and checking the deck that came up 35 thou in the hole to bring quench back up and i was also informed that the 3 thou i had the on the hone for those pistons wasnt enough,funny the paperwork said that for street use 2.5 to 3.5 was enough,so i will open it up a little more,all this started a few weeks ago with a mild rebuild and a comp cams swap that ended up with some low oil pressure readings that prompted me to pull the motor to find cam bearings wiped out after a few hundred miles,so i have made the custom solid pin and preset endplay for the cam and checked it for runout wich is ok and also had it polished, i will say that this is my second go round with this motor and hope to get it going by the weekend ,i have never seen a mix of american and metric fasteners as i have with these jeeps,anyway this sight has been very helpful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fannman
Noob
Noob

Re: 4.6 project under construction

Post by fannman »

well she is up and running, this is round number 3 and everthing is looking ok for now,i put a cam in from 505 along with a double spring setup i had to machine the spring pockets on head to get the right install height i also put coated cam bearings in it on this build since the last build ate the cam bearings,oil pressure is ok at hot idle around 20 psi and 45 to 50 psi at 2500 rpm, this is with a a stock melling pump that i went through and polished and blueprinted, i broke the cam in on schaffer 30wt and drained it and put new filter on with rotella 15 -40 after cam was broke in,i will say it is big difference from the 4.0 that was in it,its smooth and the power is there especially right off idle and that is with 3.55 gears and 33 inch pro comp all terrains,this is day two with about 150 miles on it right now,need to get my map adjuster running my air fuel gauge is showing a little rich at wide open throttle,anyways thanks to this site and silver xj for the help,i will post later after it gets some more time on it,, later.
fannman
Noob
Noob

Post by fannman »

well i may have spoke too soon,i have about 600 miles on stroker and now i am developing a faint tap or kinda a tick from under the jeep that goes up with rpm,i put my stethoscope on it and it seems like its coming from cylinder 5 with scope on pan rail near cylinder 5,i check flex plate bolts and they are good and flexplate isnt broke its either a rod or the cam,im running 15w40 rotella with additive and have decent oil pressure when extremely hot the lowest it will go is 22 lbs with standard pump,i can run the rpms up in neutral very slowly and its there all the time and goes up with the motor rpm,so the pan will come off i guess and see whats up.this will be round FOUR if i have to pull it out
CobraMarty
BANNED
BANNED
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by CobraMarty »

The cam springs you used- What was the pressures? seat pressure at installed height and pressure at full lift?
1998 XJ 2D AW4 32"MTR 3.55 4.5"RC JCR Slider Magnaflow 150rwHP/174rwTQ=> Sprintex SC Gibson Header 6lb 120-140*IAT 211rwHP/274rwTQ WasherFluid Inj 70mmTB 7.5lb 100-120*IAT=>Now 12 pounds Boost=> +BV ported head
99 XJ M62 S/C
fannman
Noob
Noob

Post by fannman »

Dual spring from 505 i machined the head to set them up at 1.690 .seat pressure 105 open 250
fannman
Noob
Noob

Post by fannman »

UPDATE; stroker has a couple thousand miles on it with no issues i have not had time to drive it much until recently,now im driving it daily and it just seems to run stonger,it may be the cool air and its breaking in nicely,oil pressure is good its around 50 on the road and high twentys at idle,fixing to do an early oil change and drive, drive, drive,...will update later if anything changes.later
Busey
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by Busey »

did you locate the source of the tick ?
fannman
Noob
Noob

Post by fannman »

i did find what i thought it was,i tightend up the lash a little on rocker and it hasnt come back plus i think it is just the sound of these straight six valve trains kinda noisy
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

You have a solid lifter cam?
fannman
Noob
Noob

Post by fannman »

hydraulic
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

Just want to clear up a little terminology. Lash is when there is space between the rocker tip and valve (where is is usually measured). Solid lifter cams have lash. Preload is what hydraulic lifter cams have. No space, but compression of the lifter. The starting point for preload is called 0 lash, no space, no compression.
fannman
Noob
Noob

Post by fannman »

I tightened up preload a little,there was some room for a little more on that one and seemed to help hope its not a lobe going flat,it could be the cam had a smaller base circle on that lobe only dont know time will tell.