High vs. Low impedance injectors

Dedicated forum for all things electrical... Sometimes Electrical issues can really get you stumped! Not Stroker related.
Jeep4xb4u
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: XJ 2dr
Vehicle Model: Sport

High vs. Low impedance injectors

Post by Jeep4xb4u »

Hey im new to the site and sure wish I would of found this place before I took on my current stoker project and it would have saved me gobs of time and questions.

Anyway, I got a 4.6l that I have been working on for a little over a year now. And when I first got started on this project a buddy of mines was putting a KB supercharger on his 05 mustang and was ditching his injectors for larger 34+# ones. The car only had around 7k on it when they were removed so I snagged them hoping they were 24#'s and from what I have read they are. On to my question....

I called MSD a few months back and got a true trophy winner on the phone :| ( didn't seem to know much more than me) . From what he had to say is that the injectors I have would be on the border line of high impedance injectors. A stock 88' injector reads 16ohm, as the 05' ford injectors read 12ohms. Now I work in the automotive stereo world building amplifiers for a living. But impedance in the stereo world vs. fuel injection are two different animals (unless told other wise). I've been curious on how a higher impedance injector might effect the computer and if it would run leaner, richer or none of the above.

I personally thought that high impedance injectors fell down in the 4-8ohm range, but what do I know. So does anybody know whether I can use these on a Renix system or not? :huh: Now before someone hops on me about the Renix setup, its because im dead smack in the middle of CA :doh: , with referees and smog stations who take this stuff serious. I for one don't want to risk a future problem with smog. And yes im using the pour flowing 89' head with a spiffy DIY home port job for now.

Any help would be appreciated as im at a lose of whether I should invest in another set of injectors and try these. I don't want to try anything that would put me at risk during the break in, so give me your honest opinions.

By the way these are Evolution 5 type injectors with the smaller bodys and connectors but you can buy the appropriate adapters to use them on Evolutions 1 plugs.

Thanks in advance,

Justin
88' XJ 2dr
4.0l / AW4 / NP231 / D35c
6.5" Long Arm Lift - 33x12.5's - 15x8 Mickey's

Currently working on 4.6l / D44 Swap
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: High vs. Low impedance injectors

Post by gradon »

12 ohms is still a high impedance injector. 2-4 is considered low impedance. I honestly do not know nor have heard if they'll run richer/leaner/same, but I have heard of blowing out the injector circuit by using a low ohm injector instead of the specified high ones. check out : http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/fuelinjectors.htm
John
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by John »

Do you have a part number for the injectors you hope to use? That would help giving you the best answer. Or what color are the tops and what is the shape of the electrical connector port?
John
Jeep4xb4u
Donator
Donator

Post by Jeep4xb4u »

Gradon, thanks for the clearing up. :doh: That site has some useful information on it. So, as far as the injectors I hold, they are high impedance. It’s really just a matter of whether or not them being slightly lower impedance then an OE one will affect the system at all. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what your injectors read out if you take a meter to it? Maybe it’s not uncommon to see high impedance injectors start in the 12ohm range. I only have two types of injectors to play around with, the ones running on my XJ and the ford ones on my bench.

John, I don’t have the part # on me right now, I can get them tonight. The band across the lower portion of the injector is "Tan" in color and the connector that is on it is guess what the call Evolution 6.

Here's a picture off of Summits site that shows the female housing that would connect to the injector its self. Hope this helps.
http://store.summitracing.com/largeimag ... 9076_w.jpg

Justin
88' XJ 2dr

Jeep4xb4u
Donator
Donator

Post by Jeep4xb4u »

Ok sorry for the delay. Hopefully I can still get some of your opinions on this matter.

Here is a shot of the injectors and the part numbers on them as well, each injector has two part numbers.

*4l8e-a4a
*9f593 244

They also each have serial number all the serial number start with 5115E and the last 4 numbers are random on each one.

Here is a shot of the motor.

Thanks again,

Justin
88' XJ 2dr

John
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by John »

Should work well. A common Ford 49#rail pressure Injector:
4L8E-A4A for

FORD ESCAPE 2005
FORD ESCAPE LIMITED (2006 - 2008)
FORD ESCAPE XLT (2006 - 2008)
FORD EXPLORER EDDIE BAUER (2006 - 2008)
FORD EXPLORER LIMITED (2006 - 2008)
FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC LIMITED (2007 - 2008)
FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC XLT (2007 - 2008)
FORD EXPLORER XLT (2006 - 2008)
FORD MUSTANG BULLITT 2008
FORD MUSTANG GT (2005 - 2008)
FORD MUSTANG SHELBY GT (2007 - 2008)
FORD TAURUS (2004 - 2005)
MERCURY MARINER 2008
MERCURY MARINER LUXURY (2006 - 2007)
MERCURY MARINER PREMIER (2005 - 2008)
MERCURY MOUNTAINEER LUXURY 2006
MERCURY MOUNTAINEER PREMIER (2006 - 2008)
MERCURY SABLE (2004 - 2005)
MERCURY SABLE GS 2005
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeep4xb4u
Donator
Donator

Post by Jeep4xb4u »

I think ill go ahead and use them then. I've got a wide band that should let me know what's going on, And if something were to happen to the computer I have a spare one of those as well.

I guess ill let you guys know here shortly whether or not there will be any issues. I just picked up a D44 for $135 out of an MJ, smoking deal. Its got a limited slip diff with 3.54's so ill be throwing some 4.88's in it and putting new perches and shock mounts on it here shortly. Possibly fabbing up a traction bar set up to keep the axle wrap to a minimum. As soon as that's wrapped up ill be stabbing both the engine and the axle in the jeep. :D

Thanks again for the assistance.

Justin
88' XJ 2dr

gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

The engine looks good--I like the a/c delete and alternator relocation too.
Jeep4xb4u
Donator
Donator

Post by Jeep4xb4u »

Thanks gradon, I've had a lot of spare time waiting for parts and shops etc. End result the motor got more TLC than expected. And yes im very please with relocating and removal of the A/C and Alt. A little fab work and some measuring and poof. Now I have to get the PS pump on there and measure for the belt.

Justin
88' XJ 2dr