Stroked blown AEM FIC tuning tips, Got any??

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
bandon
Learning to use the board
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 91-4
Vehicle Make: JEEP
Vehicle Model: YJ

Stroked blown AEM FIC tuning tips, Got any??

Post by bandon »

I got my Aem FIC and now I have questions about how to wire.
I could and AEM recommends tap each injector signal. ( because obd2 doesn't always read MAF/MAP at start up and could flood) Would this apply to an OBD1 system?
I just bought some 42lb green giants, kenne bell used to recommend this size for their blowers, since mine is stroked and blown I think they will work better than my 30lb I have now.
atias How did you wire your FIC ? what size injectors?
I think I could grab the crank signal, clamp the MAP, intercept the MAP or injectors,set WOT voltage from MAP, plus power and ground,and be ready to start tuning.
Speaking of ground, Is signal ground on AEM and the FSM sensor ground the same thing?
I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible. I know my green giants will have to be held back at idle, but hopefully under boost they will respond quick and rich. That was the problem with my APEXi Vortech FMU
system there was a big dead/lean zone before going into boost.

Any advice is appreciated
thanks many more questions to come
YJ,4.6 stroker/blower,Hesco Alum head,SOA SYE D44, 35" ,PSC ,Borla,AEM FMU, apexi neo, bap,2 walbros,2 Optimas, btm MSD, hydroboost, pw, PICS: http://photobucket.com/albums/b207/bandon_/
atias
Making Progress
Making Progress

Re: Stroked blown AEM FIC tuning tips, Got any??

Post by atias »

my fic is connected to the injectors individually (intercepting them),i also intercepted the crank signal and the cam sync,and i also intercepting the map sensor so i can clamp it to not see boost because he does see a little and it sending the ecu higher voltage then normal WOT,
my ecu is open loop all the time so i didn't connected the O2 wires
the signal ground is the sensors ground that is correct.
i'm still waiting on injector 42lbs like yours
what is your setup??

feel free to ask ill help you as much as i can :)

:cheers:
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

The advantage the AEM unit has over other units is ability to control the injectors directly so the PCM doesn't see anything nor does it have to deal with the MAP. Changing the MAP voltage also changes the timing. The injectors may not even pushing enough fuel at the clamped MAP voltage to supply the boost. Also, the 42lbs that kenne bell used went along with a PCM tune for those injectors, not your tuning method. They may cause problems during start and low RPM. When looking for an injector you want to see it at 85% duty at WOT. That way they are a fine fit for WOT and the PCM can handle the injectors better at start and low RPMs. If you are pulling timing you will want to wire in the CPS and cam sensor as well.
atias
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by atias »

my map sensor is connected thru the ANALOG A channel ,and i uses it in offset mode to lower the map sensor voltage just a tiny bit under boost to a normal NA WOT voltage,the stock 1bar map sensor does see a little boost and it sending to the ecu a voltage higher then normal and sometimes not very stable

bandon

Post by bandon »

Thanks for the rapid responses, I typed up a massive reply it was witty informative and humble all at the same time. Somehow it disappeared. That was a few hours ago and now I cant remember any of it.
I did ask if intercepting the cam was needed along with the crank.
I'm pretty sure I mentioned a thread on the AEM site about OBD1 jeeps that was just getting started. I will keep the injector info filed away for future use. I once had 26lb injectors and 30lb made a big difference. I'm still not getting fuel fast enough going WOT. I have 2 large walbros and a Boost a pump.
I think intercepting the injectors is the way to go.
Check out the pics with the link in my sig. Some are old some are new.

I still have the Apexi neo installed but have replaced the Vortech super FMU with A AEM fmu.
A little more reading ,lots more questions then on to the install.
YJ,4.6 stroker/blower,Hesco Alum head,SOA SYE D44, 35" ,PSC ,Borla,AEM FMU, apexi neo, bap,2 walbros,2 Optimas, btm MSD, hydroboost, pw, PICS: http://photobucket.com/albums/b207/bandon_/
CobraMarty
BANNED
BANNED
Vehicle Year: 1998

Post by CobraMarty »

Tune with a wideband O2 sensor.
1998 XJ 2D AW4 32"MTR 3.55 4.5"RC JCR Slider Magnaflow 150rwHP/174rwTQ=> Sprintex SC Gibson Header 6lb 120-140*IAT 211rwHP/274rwTQ WasherFluid Inj 70mmTB 7.5lb 100-120*IAT=>Now 12 pounds Boost=> +BV ported head
99 XJ M62 S/C
atias
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by atias »

i have changed the walbro 255 to a bosch 044,the walbro was FAKE even with the MADE IN THE USA stamp on it and looking thru the web there is no way to know the difference only that the pump was weak for a walbro, the pump didn't build pressure past 4 bar with my FMU, and they say that 80% of the walbro pumps on the market are FAKE and you wont know until you plug it in for a pressure test.
the bosch is a monster giving way over 8 bar with the FMU and there is no more lean spots in the rpm range :D :D

bandon

Post by bandon »

Gee, I wonder if my pumps are fake. It would explain a lot.
atias how did you get your base map? Was your blower on then? Did you remove it and use stock injectors. I don't understand a lot of the mapping stuff yet.
atias
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by atias »

the base map is the stock ecu programing. don't try to build a map like it a stand alone ecu, if you want it to work properly just adjust the map to the bigger injectors. pretend that the base map is all the cells 0 and just add or take fuel where you need. even that the stock ecu cant read boost it runs on pre programed map at WOT and because the fic can read boost you can manipulate it as you like.
the blower is there from the start,what i did is to start driving and change the map according to the wideband sensor, after i made the base adjusments on the map i started to use the data logger for fine tuning
start with rich A/F ratio and take 1 degree of timing for each psi of boost this will be very conservative tune to avoid any damage,and put premium gas in the tank for safety when you tune WOT
take your time don't rush things and you will be ok :)

what type of spark plugs are you running? what is the commpresion? how much boost? and what camshaft is in there?

bandon

Post by bandon »

I have more reading to do before before I can understand the maps. I thought the FIC needs a copy of the ECU base map, then I modify that. I like your way better. Kinda what I did with my APEXI.
I just replaced my plugs after years of using Bosch Platinum +4. I went through 3 sets in eight years(with next to no mileage). Maybe the MSD BTM6 burned them down quicker. I tried a colder champion, I seemed to lose a little power. I now have iridium autolites just put them in. So far so good. I also put in 10mm plug, wires very nice. The camshaft is stock. My CR is 9.5:1 which works well with the aluminum head and the intercooler. Now the boost varies, I might get 8psi at 10' below and 5.5psi at 92'. It has a 2.4' pulley on the Avenger twin rotor. I rigged a cold air 5" intake setup made for a mustang to a F&b 68mm throttle body.
Also went with the 99+ intake manifold. Trying to squeeze every pony out.
I'll start soldering in the FIC this Sunday. I work 6 days a week so it will be slow going.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

bandon wrote:I have more reading to do before before I can understand the maps. I thought the FIC needs a copy of the ECU base map, then I modify that. I like your way better. Kinda what I did with my APEXI.
It is programmed similar to the Apexi. It is a piggy back, not a standalone so you don't need the PCM maps. Take a look at AEM's forums they have links to some videos to help you understand what you need to do.
I just replaced my plugs after years of using Bosch Platinum +4. I went through 3 sets in eight years(with next to no mileage). Maybe the MSD BTM6 burned them down quicker.
Doubtful it was the MSD, probably just the crap plugs.
bandon

Post by bandon »

Okay, Sunday I wired in the FIC, just one hookup left the O2 sensor. Wasnt sure if I needed it or not.(still dont understand that part completely might need it at startup to hold back the injectors a little I guess.) I intercepted the crank,Cam,Map and tapped TPS. I also didnt know If I should use the auxiliary gauge tapped to my AEM UEGO output. Would this duplicate my wide band gauge on the laptop next to the other 2 gauges? I dont think I can drive and really watch them anyway, or is that necessary to get A/f data logged with the data logger? What did you guys do?
Finally whats the switched 12vdc connection for ? To trigger what ?

Thanks for the help, I am reading and re reading all of this.
atias
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by atias »

you need the O2 channel if you want to change the fuel map in closed loop mode so that the ecu fuel trim adjusment will be minimum as possible, and you can get what ever A/F ratio that you like even in closed loop mode.
there is a video on the aem site showing how to do that.
you need the auxiliary gauge connected so you can log the A/F, its a great tool you'll love it .
my switched 12vdc is connected to the water/meth injection but you can connect it to what ever that you like (shift light,even saw someone making a launch control out of it)
and also connect the user switch input connection (SW IN) so that you can have a dual calibration mode or to trigger the internal data logger.
:)

bandon

Post by bandon »

atias thanks for the tips, when you say dual calibration mode do you mean just the internal and laptop data logging? And do I need that, they would record the same data right?
After maybe eight years or so I am thinking I wired my wideband O2 wrong. I just tapped into my stock harness. Now Im reading that all O2 sensors need a controller and that the stock ecu doesnt know what to do with the wide band signal. Would explain a few rare stalling incidents.

How did you wire yours?
atias
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by atias »

the dual calibration is that you can have two different maps one for regular gas and second premium gas (or one is street map and second is race map),and you have an option to choose bitwin dual maps or one map and a data logger (with a flip of the switch) instead of the second map.
with the laptop you can record alot more data because it has more memory then the fic, the fic is limited by a small memory chip (shorter logs)
my wideband (AEM UEGO)is just for monitoring and connected to the fic thru the 5V output it has for logging purpose,the ecu can't read it.
:) :)