604's double 4.6 build

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
604rail_king
I made it to triple digits!
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Model: XJ

604's double 4.6 build

Post by 604rail_king »

WHY BUILD ONE WHEN YOU CAN CAN HAVE 2 AT TWICE THE PRICE!
(thats a movie quote if anyone knows their late 90's movies)

im happy to report that after months of researching, posting, collecting parts (used & new!), ect... the stroker builds are taking the next big jump - machine shop time!

ive made reference to this in some of my initial posts on the forum, but a friend and i are building near identical 4.6 strokers for our lifted XJ's. my initial stroker plan was for my lifted 95 XJ however i bought a stock 00 XJ and swapped all my lift parts, bumpers, tires, ect over. i also picked up a spare 99 long block which i will be using for my stroker build. the 95 xj was converted back to stock and sold. my friend has a 98 XJ and is also using a 99 donor block

*** our goal was to keep our builds relatively simple/basic as we are not trying to squeeze every last hp and we want to maintain reliability as we often go into the trails. pump 87 or 89 would be ideal however we may have to use 91 or 94 in the summer months (87 is roughly $1.40/L or about $5.40/G!). we are also basically at sea level.

moving on to the build details...

playing with the stroker calculator, we've come up with the following:
4.2L 3.895" stroke crank
4.0L 6.125" rods
Keith Black UEM-IC944-030 pistons (21.7 dome)
stock 99 cam (Intake 253.3/Lobe 107.3)
Ported HO cylinder head (58cc)
block deck 0.0215
Mopar/Victor 0.043" head gasket

this yields a SCR 9.24, DCR 7.98, Quench .0645

in another thread it was mentioned the later stock cam intake was actually 256 duration, which would drop the DCR to 7.92. more info on the heads below.

My 00 4.6:
99 block
12wt crank (10/10)
kb 944 .030 pistons
4.0 shot peened rods
clevite cam, crank, rod bearings
Rollmaster dual timing set
stock 99 cam
99 intake w/ true 60mm tb
7120 head conversion. stock. (plan to do slight p&p)
Victor Reinz gasket kits (w/ .043 mls hg)

Buddies 98 4.6:
99 block
4wt short nose crank (10/10)
kb944 .030 pistons
4.0 shot peened rods
clevite cam, crank, rod bearings
Rollmaster dual timing set
stock 99 cam
99 intake w/ true 60mm tb
0630 head conversion. stock. (plan to do slight p&p)
Victor Reinz gasket kits (w/ .043 mls hg)

Yesterday i dropped our heads off at the machinist. they were disassembled to make inspecting them easier and we plan to do a basic p&p following the Standard Abrasives guide. stock valve train will be reinstalled as we are thinking of sticking with the stock cam. the magnum ss valves are being consider (2.02/1.62) but we are on the fence. the heads were original and im assuming they would be only needing to take off 3-5 thousandths meaning it could reduce the CC to 56 roughly, increasing the SCR to 9.4 and DCR to 8.07/8.13 levels... some consider this on the borderline with avoiding pinging.

both donor blocks will be dropped off within a week after completing the last bit of tear down. still need to pull the pan/crank/rods/pistons. ideally id like to deck the blocks some to tighten the quench however the DCR is already on the thresh hold imo.

we are also considering a mild performance if we can retain stock valve springs to keep the cost/simplicity down. we rarely take it past 4000rpms to peak power or hp isnt a priority. the Comp 68-201-4 is being considered as its on the limits of the stock valve springs, helps the most in the rpm range we use, and improved the DCR slightly.

we've got our larger injectors (forgot the #'s at the moment) and plan on doing some fine tuning with an SAFC. my recent previous job was working at performance tuning shop which included dyno tuning - ill likely strap it on for logging/tuning.

im planning on building a 2.5" front pipe with flex section and purchasing a mud frog 2.5" cat back system

ill be posting pics through the builds :banana:
Antifreeze2
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280 ci
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: 604's double 4.6 build

Post by Antifreeze2 »

IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

Antifreeze2 wrote:Contact: 1st rule of government spending.
Yep, billionaire industrialist S. R. Hadden
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
604rail_king

Post by 604rail_king »

got the heads back after inspection... good to start the basic p&p

dropped off the blocks at the same time

Summit Ferry came last night... brought HV oil pump, reg water pump, ARP rod bolts, porting abrasives kit, and 2.5" flex for custom front pipe ill be building.

the stock cam out of my 99 block looks to be reusable, however my buddies did not. it wasnt a complete surprise as his donor motor had 300k km and lots of sludge so we're thinking a mild Comp cam upgrade is in order.

now from looking at Summit, i found the Comp 68-201-4 and CL68-201-4. the CL has lifters and has a different lift! .447/.477 which is why it probably requires upgraded valve springs. where as the Comp 68-201-4 cam only has a lift of .447/.447 and can be run on stock valve springs. is this a typo !?!

cam only
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-68-201-4/

cam lifter kit
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-CL68-201-4/
Antifreeze2
Donator
Donator

Post by Antifreeze2 »

To my understanding, stock springs are suggested for up to .430 lift, but people have run them up to .450 with success. Not sure when they bind though.
604rail_king

Post by 604rail_king »

upgrading valve springs and valves are a coin toss at the moment. ive found useful info on upgrades (ie: ls1 setup) however i havent been able to located 1 set (let alone 2) for a reasonable price. i did find a new kit (valves/springs/retainers/locks) but near $300. with a spring setup that i could run a hotter cam, id just be too temped to get roller rockers ... and the snowball effect continues.
Antifreeze2
Donator
Donator

Post by Antifreeze2 »

I hear ya. I planned on spending no more than 2k on mine. Pretty sure it hit 3.5k by the end of it with labor.
604rail_king

Post by 604rail_king »

MORE PARTS!

Victor HS5713Z head gasket set
Victor CS5713X lower gasket set
Victor GS33414 head bolt set
Roll Master CS7100 timing set
Clevite Cam, Rod, Main bearings
Hastings Moly piston rings

will be ordering the SS 2.02/1.62 magnum valves in the next couple days, and hopefully decide on a cam that will work with a stock springs! (extremely frustrating!). we decided to keep the build on budget and to keep things simple... no need for upgraded springs, rollers, ect.

the cam spring/pin combo VS solid pin have come into debate. i see Dino and lots of other members using the spring/pin with success but there have been a number of failures (maybe unrelated). ive seen only a few members (mainly Silverxj) using the solid pin with manually setting the cam play with success, and no failures to date. perhaps there is a threshold with more "extreme" cam/valve spring combo's that is too much for the spring/pin to handle...
Sharp Rock
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Model: Grand Cher

Post by Sharp Rock »

604rail_king wrote:MORE PARTS!

Clevite Cam, Rod, Main bearings
While there is no proof of a problem, Clevite in there infinite wisdom removed the oiling hole in their rod bearings. Federal Mogul still has these holes and are of good quality as well. I wanted those holes on my build. And I didn't want to add the holes myself on the Clevites as some have done. So I used Clevite Main and Cam bearings, and the Federal Mogul for Rods.

Best wishes on your builds. :cheers:
604rail_king

Post by 604rail_king »

yes ive seen that with the clevite rod bearings in other threads. ill probably end up adding them as i see no down side to adding the hole
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

604rail_king wrote:the cam spring/pin combo VS solid pin have come into debate. i see Dino and lots of other members using the spring/pin with success but there have been a number of failures (maybe unrelated). ive seen only a few members (mainly Silverxj) using the solid pin with manually setting the cam play with success, and no failures to date. perhaps there is a threshold with more "extreme" cam/valve spring combo's that is too much for the spring/pin to handle...
There a few others using it. It actually wasn't my idea, but i believe DWG's as he is using it on his TJ. Dino is also using a stock cam, so that may have some bearing on it.
604rail_king

Post by 604rail_king »

Possibly. Your builds are the most recent in my opinion but you're also very active with posting

I'm really inclined to getting a new 91-95 early stock cam (melling or sealed power) as I don't really want to deal with coil bind possibilities and the power will be in the rpm range I stay in 90% of the time. I just realized the stock cam is showing -8 degrees in the stroker calc (?).

only the 200 and 201 comp cams fit my build nicely in the stroker calculator as I'm aiming 8.0-8.15 dcr. Summit lists I need springs though. The stock cam if I use 0 degrees will yield about 7.45 dcr OR look at zero decking the block to get closer to my goal.
Retlaw01XJ
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Retlaw01XJ »

604rail_king wrote: hopefully decide on a cam that will work with a stock springs! (extremely frustrating!). we decided to keep the build on budget and to keep things simple... no need for upgraded springs, rollers, ect.

the cam spring/pin combo VS solid pin have come into debate. \
I went with a Crower 44243 cam and stock springs. It's a mild upgrade over stock that will work with the stock springs liftwise. I only have a few hundred miles on my 4.6 so far,but it seems to rev ok. Still too early to tell.

There was a good article on one of the trade sites ... Think it was enginebuildermag.com about cam/lifter orientation on the old Buick Nailheads (pre 1966) that mentioned cam preload... some cams are designed with neutral fore/aft load while others are designed to use rearward thrust... it's all in the cam design. Bottom line, it may be best to use the solid pin on our Jeeps to keep the fore/aft cam movement in control.
Walt K
Eastern Pa
2001 Cherokee 4.6 stroker 90 day build
Buick GS's and Saab turbos for other days...
604rail_king

Post by 604rail_king »

I'm leaning towards the solid pin with having cam free play set.

In an attempt to determine what can to run, I emailed Comp for a suggestion that could be run on stock springs. I got the following cam card back for a custom grind.

Thoughts?
SERIAL # R 2864-09   SPEC CARD #  16732909  
PART #   163-000-5     CAMSHAFT, CHRYSLER/JEEP 1999-2001 4.0 L                
 CORE     C163-4        CAMSHAFT BLANK,  A6 CHRY-JEEP 1999-2001   Special Grind
 GRIND #  CAMSH 5206 /5205  H 113.0                                            
                                                                            DURATION @ .050 INTAKE      206                 ROCKER ARM RATIO
VALVE ADJ INTAKE      .000                       DURATION @ .050 EXHAUST     212                  INTAKE   1.60
 VALVE ADJ EXHAUST     .000                    LOBE LIFT INTAKE            .2720                             EXHAUST  1.60
 VALVE LIFT INTAKE     .435                        LOBE LIFT EXHAUST           .2800                
 VALVE LIFT EXHAUST    .448                     LOBE SEPARATION           113.0                  
 DURATION              .006                               INTAKE C/L                110.0                  
 TAPPET LIFT INTAKE     255                       CAM ADVANCE                 3                    
 TAPPET LIFT EXHAUST    263                    HYDRAULIC                Y                       
 VALVE TIMING          .050                          OVERHEAD CAM             N                       
 VALVE OPEN INTAKE        7-                     JOURNAL DIAMETER         STD      2.000          
 VALVE OPEN EXHAUST      42                 RECOMMEND VALVE SPRINGS                          
 VALVE CLOSED INTAKE     33                  
 VALVE CLOSED EXHAUST    10-              

Based on the custom cam valve lift, the 200 or 201 off the shelf cams would work too.
604rail_king

Post by 604rail_king »

ordered 2.02/1.62 SS magnum valves and Comp 201 cam/lifter kit. should look all pretty with the Rollmaster timing set. i got side tracked with re-outfitting my garage with new warehouse pallet racking, and buying a 8.25 with locker.

where can i order a solid pin/bolt set?

talked to machine shop today, blocks are going up next for bore/hone/ect. crank has been machined. rods/pistons/arp have been installed, balanced, and shot peened. ill still likely need to order new push rods

i quickly threw on a new spare felpro exhaust/intake gasket to the heads to see how much porting work is ahead of me. the intake ports are almost a dead match. exhaust can be opened up a decent amount. ill see how it compares to the Victor gasket

after porting and final decking, we're expecting to end up on route with 9.45 scr, 8.05 dcr, .053 quench :banana: