604's double 4.6 build

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: 604's double 4.6 build

Post by dwg86 »

Make your own solid pin out of a bolt. Just buy a long bolt and cut off the head and threads. Grade 5 bolt is fine.
Retlaw01XJ
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Retlaw01XJ »

604rail_king wrote: where can i order a solid pin/bolt set?
The stock cam bolt can be used. If you need to buy one, the local Jeep dealer can order it. Also sold by Hesco for more money. :twisted:
For the pin, I used a dowel pin. Don't recall if it was 1/8" or 3/32" tho. Might find one at the local hardware store in those drawers of misc hardware.
Walt K
Eastern Pa
2001 Cherokee 4.6 stroker 90 day build
Buick GS's and Saab turbos for other days...
604rail_king
I made it to triple digits!
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by 604rail_king »

Retlaw01XJ wrote:
604rail_king wrote: where can i order a solid pin/bolt set?
The stock cam bolt can be used. If you need to buy one, the local Jeep dealer can order it. Also sold by Hesco for more money. :twisted:
For the pin, I used a dowel pin. Don't recall if it was 1/8" or 3/32" tho. Might find one at the local hardware store in those drawers of misc hardware.
i saved the cam bolt off my 99 and 91 motors, so thats a plus. i should ask my machinist what he uses for solid pins.
604rail_king

Post by 604rail_king »

Comp 201 cam/lifter kit, SS magnum 2.02/1.62 valves, and some DEI gold heat wrap for the bottom side of the intake manifold arrived today. valves looks awsome! ill post pics later

ill be packing up the rest of the bits tomorrow to take down to my machine shop.

on friday we're tackling the heads! after reading a few threads on diy porting jobs, i think we plan to mainly do more polishing than removing material. taking out the imperfections and ensuring theres smooth transitions. enlarging the ports on our 7120/0630 heads will just push the power higher up in the rpms, compared to the small port later heads... which we are not after.
604rail_king

Post by 604rail_king »

wow ok took a big vaccation on the builds ... got distracted a bit and couldnt spend enough time on the heads. getting back on track ! both heads are nearing done, just have to clean up the combustion chamber. then do the finishing polish. DAMN ITS A DIRTY JOB!

my machinist has also informed me they may be closing down for a bit as they are extremely slow these days. the company is primarily a parts warehouse with the machine shop on the side but i guess the industry is hurting. we were wanting to complete heads with magnum valves, then cc the heads, and use the final figures to machine the block according. but thats changed with the new schedule with the build.

initial block decking calculations were to use a final height of .010. this would yield us on the higher end of the spectrum with our safe compression goals however to speed up the process we are simplifying the machining and going with only .005. it allows our machinist to finish up the short block should they decide to close up for a bit... then assemble the rest at home!
604rail_king

Post by 604rail_king »

been a while! however ive been spending some time on the strokers again - mainly cleanup, painting, ect. i have pics along the build that im saving so i can build a better timeline.

everything is all machined and short block assembled. i measured the head cc's today and came up with about 61-62 cc which sounds about right with running the magnum ss valves and considering how much was machined off the head (only a few thou). ill make some assembly progress when a friend drops off his cam degreeing tool.

when i plug all the info into the stroker calculator, i get approx 9.0 SCR, 7.7 DCR, .059 Q.
(comp 201 cam degreed @ +4)

sounds very pump gas friendly to me.

thoughts ?
jeep7081
Learning to use the board
Learning to use the board
Vehicle Year: 1997

Post by jeep7081 »

604rail_king wrote:ordered 2.02/1.62 SS magnum valves and Comp 201 cam/lifter kit. should look all pretty with the Rollmaster timing set. i got side tracked with re-outfitting my garage with new warehouse pallet racking, and buying a 8.25 with locker.

where can i order a solid pin/bolt set?

talked to machine shop today, blocks are going up next for bore/hone/ect. crank has been machined. rods/pistons/arp have been installed, balanced, and shot peened. ill still likely need to order new push rods

i quickly threw on a new spare felpro exhaust/intake gasket to the heads to see how much porting work is ahead of me. the intake ports are almost a dead match. exhaust can be opened up a decent amount. ill see how it compares to the Victor gasket

after porting and final decking, we're expecting to end up on route with 9.45 scr, 8.05 dcr, .053 quench :banana:
Part #'s for Magnum valves and springs? Or link :)
Thanks
604rail_king

Post by 604rail_king »

Only used the magnum valves. Still on stock springs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390495170308?redirect=mobile