i need to know who wants roller cams??

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
gremlinsteve
Making Progress
Making Progress

i need to know who wants roller cams??

Post by gremlinsteve »

if i was to announce today that i have a company building roller cams, right now, who would buy one of these??

the reason that they are not being made yet is simple. they do not feel that there are enough people wanting them.

i have pulled my connections together on this and i am seriously looking at it.

a single cam would run about 650 right now. not very cheap...agreed... but if say 50 people wanted them..then obviously that price would drop.

contact any one and every one you know and lets get this rolling. there is no reason to be running stock cams in these motors.

steve frank
www.thehemisource.com
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: i need to know who wants roller cams??

Post by gradon »

$650 is a good deal compared to the $600 for the blank(from rotofaze) and another $600 that it was gonna cost to grind it. How would you go about chosing profiles?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

for $650 count me in... maybe even more
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

Is $650.00 for the cam blank only, or does that also include grinding? Have you sourced a roller lifter? The crane amc V8 hydraulic roller lifter should work with a different cross bar.
gremlinsteve
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by gremlinsteve »

have not source it yet.

the market must be the one to dictate if the part is wanted. if you guys want it. i can get the ball rolling.

650 for a cam thats ready to run. that aint cheap and i would not accept that myself nor will i pass that on to anyone else.

i have started the ball "rolling" and need to know what to tell them. if there are 50 cam cores needed then that would show them the market wants them.

roller lifter are and should be easy. new cross bar is whats needed. that would be the second part of this order.

what would the total swap cost?? i would expect 1000 in expense for all the parts one would need to complete the swap to a roller cam.

thats lifters, pushrods and the cam itself. the cam should be priced in the 300-400 range.

steve
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

$1000 isn't too bad... but these are suppose to be low buck strokers... but that isn't actually proving itself. Anyhow.. the only thing I would be concerned about is if it would actually work un tested.
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by Flash »

gremlinsteve wrote:if i was to announce today that i have a company building roller cams, right now, who would buy one of these??

the reason that they are not being made yet is simple. they do not feel that there are enough people wanting them.

i have pulled my connections together on this and i am seriously looking at it.

a single cam would run about 650 right now. not very cheap...agreed... but if say 50 people wanted them..then obviously that price would drop.

contact any one and every one you know and lets get this rolling. there is no reason to be running stock cams in these motors.

steve frank
http://www.thehemisource.com
I don't want to be the pessimist here,.....so i won't!
Do the research, show us your notes. If you can get a roller cam made profiled and ground for around $650.00(yes i understand lifter will be added to this price) let me/we know and we will be a good spreading of the word.
Have you read this thread?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=105
This thread started on the Yahoo sight and continued here.
If you can show a shorter and cheaper road to a roller cam for our strokers, I'm all for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
gremlinsteve
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by gremlinsteve »

well, i understand the unknowns. ive been that route before myself. so to ease the unknown, let me introduce myself to you and fill you in on what i do.

i am the owner of a company thats in the automotive industry. the name of this company is F.R.I. or by its full name frank racing inc.

now i have grown and changed it a bit here and there to accomodate the market but i am a die hard amc/mopar/jeep guy.

right now, i specialize in mopars. the shop has a hauss 1600 5-axis. i have roughly 50 years of porting experience all together and the shop holds a few records in the industry also.

i understand fully the dollar..how far it reaches and what is to be expected for it.

if we can get enough interest for these. i will take the first step and document the results for everyone.

a roller cam swap for a common non roller v8 comes in about 1k. so i see no reason to think that it will be much different with the i-6.

steve
Flash

Post by Flash »

first i would like to say welcome!
2nt I would encourage you, to get your favorite beverage and read the link i gave above.

there is design issues that vary thru the years, an odd ball cam/ dist gear, and a lot more.
The road to a roller cam, that we when down cost around 12 to 1500 dollars...................at 600esh, i think it could be pulled off
At the time we had 2or3 that where willing to buy this cam(Joe wanted 6 to start with) it fell apart from there.

Flash.

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
gremlinsteve
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by gremlinsteve »

ill start reading.

steve
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

I would like to see a roller cam made for the 4.0. I think there is a demand for it, but price is also going to affect that demand. Speaking for myself, I would like to buy one, but $650.00 for a cam...my pockets aren't that deep. I am kind of torn because I also know that might not be a bad price compared to a complete rebuild after a failed cam.
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

I am also interested but not able to commit to a grand for a roller... the basic premise is sound, and no one will argue that it would be a great option to have, but 99% of us are building the I6 on a budget or other basic constraint. and I'd bet many would simply swap into a SBC once serious horse power becomes the goal...

So we are a niche, a diverse spread of people who either recognize the near perfect fit of the long stroke I6 in an offroad rig (the only engine more Ideal would be an I6 Diesel, or a high compression E85 I6) or need to improve what they already have or can afford. Or we just like the challenge.

As I said once a while back... you can replace an aweful lot of flat tappet Cams for a grand, and if power is the goal there are much more cost effective upgrades than the 15hp and 10ft pounds from lower friction and more agressive ramps.

I suspect we'll see a lot more home made "cam saver lifters" around here than roller cams.

Now if the roller cam also somehow eliminated the 5300 RPM harmonic (by say: being stiffer torsionally) and allowed us to Rev to 6400RPM's (or whatever the new upper limiting factor would be with 4 Cam bearings and the heavier roller lifters) then I would certainly buy one for my next build.
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.
Flash

Post by Flash »

gremlinsteve wrote:ill start reading.

steve
So Whats you thoughts.......did you get thru it all..........Vary interested in hearing your point of view....... too add to all the rest of ours. :)

Flash