Gorilla's XJ quest for the 4.6L....

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
Gorillaxj
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cheroeke

Gorilla's XJ quest for the 4.6L....

Post by Gorillaxj »

Hello there! I am very into rock crawling and out doors, I got my Cherokee about 4 years ago and stove it in stock form for about 3 1/2 years. then I decided it was going to be my next project.. On went the lift, swapped axles, changed the whole suspension, lockers ect ect... all my jeep info is here... http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/my-2000-xj-67081/

A few pics for fun...

Well, My head cracked... damn 0331 head. So a buddy hooked me up with a 7120 head. I also ended up getting a deal on a 4.2l crank, rods, Comp Cams 68-232-4 4X4 performance Cam, lifters, Timing set for 200$
So here goes the Stroker! Going to stroke the 4.0L to 4.6L.

Parts list-
258 crankshaft: 4.2L light weight short nose crank 20$(Check)
Connecting rods: 4.2L Rods 20$(Check)
Cylinder Head: 7120(Check)
Pistons & rings: Sealed Power H825CP 35$ each w/rings .20 over (Check)
Main bearings: Clevite $60(Check)
Rod bearings: Clevite $45(Check)
Cam bearings: Clevite $25(Check)
Oil pumps: Summit Racing (I am using high volume) (Went with Mopar $55 dealer cost)(Check)
Timing sets: Summit Racing (have Comp cams kit, cost me $30) (Check)
Camshaft & lifter kits: Summit Racing (I have Comp Cams 68-232-4 4X4 cam w/lifters $130)(Check)
Cam bolt, pin & spring: Hesco (to be able to install a 96 and older cam into a 2000 Block) $15 (Check)
Cam bolt washer: Hesco $6(Check)
Rocker arms: Going with "performance set" http://www.hescosc.com/shop.asp?action= ... 5&catId=77 58 $150(Check)
Mopar Performance 5249464 valve springs: Summit Racing ($88 Dealer cost) (Check)
Mopar Performance 4452032 valve spring retainers: Summit Racing ($90 Dealer cost) (Check)
Mopar Performance 4529218 valve keepers: Summit Racing ($25 dealer cost)(Check)
Pushrods: Reuse stock 4.0, Hesco (I got upgraded rods with thicker tubing, stronger for upgraded cam/springs) $42 (Check)
Gaskets & seals: Summit Racing, Mopar Performance (I am using Mopar performance) $145 (dealer discount) (Check)
Head Gasket: Mopar Performance 0.43" compressed height (stock is 0.51) (Included in Mopar performance kit)(Check)
Flowkooler high flow water pump: Summit Racing $110(Check)
Thermostats: Summit Racing (went with High flow) $12(Check)
High flow thermostat housing: Hesco $28(Check)
Using Stock Cylinder head bolts $45(Check)
Machining crank/rods and pressing pistons - $165(Check)
Port and Polishing head - 20$ kit (Doing it myself)(Check)
Three angle valve grind on valves and head - 65$(Check)
Ford 24lb Injectors (already had them, $50)(Check)
APN manifold (for 91-99 to fit 7120 head)(Check)
Exhaust wrap for manifold (keep intake temps down)(Check)
60mm Throttle body ($55)(Check)
(I am doing all the assembly)

My total cost will end up being about $1800 after all misc stuff... I also plan on getting a wide band 02 sensor, buy wont be able to afford it right away. so I'll run premium until I can monitor it.

Some pice of the parts....
wrapped manifold to help lower the intake temps.
Bored TB to 60mm straight threw....
High volume T/stat housing
High flow W/P
High Volume oil pump
Mopar gasket kit
Mopar valve springs
Hesco "performance" valve rocker kit.... (couldn't justify the $$$ for rollers at this time, maybe later once I've recovered financially)
rocker vs rocker
And all of it... with new coolant temp sensor/crank pulley dampener and a few other non listed items...

Taken from the calculator on this site...
Bore - 3.895
Stroke - 3.895 (making it square)
7120 head (shaved 0.10" to make flat) lost about 1.3cc per chamber making it 56.6 correct?
Keeping stock deck clearance .0215" correct? (doesn't change with stroker setup)
Headgasket 0.051"
Pistons 15.8cc Sealed Power.
Cam duration 250
Cam separation 113
Cam Deg advanced 3*

Resulting with-
SCR of 9.74-1
DCR 8.37-1
Quench 0.0725"

Just waiting on the machine shop to finish the 3 angle valve grind, then I'll pull my motor and get it going... Hopefully It will all work out smoothly and run good for me...
atias
Making Progress
Making Progress

Re: Gorilla's XJ quest for the 4.6L....

Post by atias »

very nice jeep :)
i noticed that the hole on the new rocker arm is a little smaller then the one in the old rockers, check the clearance so that you have enoght travel with the camshaft so that its not locking the valve train at full lift
and i also read someplace that the headers wrapping causing the headers to rust hard very quickly
other then that very very nice monster(jeep)
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

That head gasket may actually be .043" compressed. The last Mopar MLS gasket I had was. x2 on the header wrap. It will help it crack.
Gorillaxj
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Gorillaxj »

I have been trying to find anything about the head gasket as far as which one I have, I ordered there regular gasket kit, not the performance kit... I searched the part number on the kit it came in and nothing that pulled up said performance.... But I don't remember the stock one being metal either. should I get a stock thickness or not worry about it with my "basic" setup?

I have read that about the header being wrapped. I am not bothered by it rusting, its also coated with a high temp sealer to help the wrap not hold water. I'll give it a run.I have read It can lead to cracking. I have used it on a few manifolds with turbos and High CR engines in 100* + temps without an issue, Really think I should take it off?
Gorillaxj
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Gorillaxj »

Using the calculator I would be 8.36-1 DCR with the .043" HG, and 8.22-1 with the .051" HG. should be good with 91 octane right? Lowest elevation I will ever see is about 3800FT...
Gorillaxj
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Gorillaxj »

well, Figured I would update this as the world doesn't need more unfinished threads lol

I built it, and run it everyday. I LOVE it, it is so much nicer to drive, the throttle is touchy and its just go go go compared to before (wasn't horrible but nothing like this)

any way here are some pics.

Crank in, mains and rods plastigauged in the mid of spec.

pistons and rods in

head on

new freeze plugs, timing chain set (comp cams) and taped off for paint.

I choose Chrysler Orange. thought it would be a good color, left the head black

Painted throttle body to match as it was so clean from sand blasting (had extra paint)

High flow T/stat housing and water pump with new sensor

chased the threads on all holes being used for good grounds I also picked up form heavy duty engine brackets (stinky fab) and M.O.R.E motor mounts for a good solid mounting system. had them powder coated to match from a buddy for free :)

Made my coil mounts with 1/8" thick 3/4" wide steel strap. bent to fit and drilled holes.

Mostly assembled

all installed and running

it runs and revs. runs really smooth.

I also hooked up my Wide band, readings of 14.5-15.3 at idle, 14.9-15.8 cruising, and at WOT under heavy load 12.9-13.5, all good readings from what I have been reading. the Comp 4x4 performance Cam feels great. smooth idle and aggressive with throttle. although I haven't driven a stroker with a stock cam so I may be giving it a little more credit then I should.... :) Either way I love this thing! thanks for all the info!
beiwulf
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7Turbo soonish
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: ZJ
Vehicle Model: Laredo

Post by beiwulf »

Nice job on build. You got some good hookups with build sounds like too.
95 Silver ZJ 4x4 4.0L (soon to be stroked/boosted) currently DD
1999 Victory V92 (first year production) street bike/cruiser

95 ZJ Turbo Boosted Stroker build threadhttp://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=4342