Wideband O2 tuning questions...

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Sharp Rock
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Grand Cher

Wideband O2 tuning questions...

Post by Sharp Rock »

Greetings to the board,

As my engine projects grinds along slowly, I have some cash for extras handy. So last night I went shopping around for a Wideband setup. Expensive, but there are some lower cost options. Then in occurred to me, to tune properly, do you need to log both the A/F ratios AND RPM? Looking at the lower cost options (example the Innovate MTX-L) they won't log the RPM. This is where things get really expensive. To get that functionality you get a whole bunch of stuff you don't need. Like for the guys setting up turbos and blowers. Do I have this right?

My build is a VERY mild 4.6L. Low compression, nearly stock or stock cam, stock valve springs. What do I really need? Can I start with the MTX-L, and if I'm way off, and need to do something more than a simple MAP adjuster, I buy the extra featured datalogging (read stupid expensive!)?

Any comments or direction appreciated.

Jerry
Antifreeze2
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280 ci
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Wideband O2 tuning questions...

Post by Antifreeze2 »

AEM UEGO on Ebay for 170 shipped. I'm a bit tight on cash, but it's on the to-do list.
Sharp Rock
Donator
Donator

Post by Sharp Rock »

Antifreeze2 wrote:AEM UEGO on Ebay for 170 shipped. I'm a bit tight on cash, but it's on the to-do list.
Thanks, but that appears to be no different than the Innovate MTX-L. It only will log the A/F ratios. Not RPM.

I may have found my own answer this morning. I was up pretty late looking at stuff. The eyes blured, and the brain was numb. With a fresh look this morning, looks like the LC-1 WITH the SSI-4 will do the trick. Haven't had a look at the street prices, but on the Innovate site listed for the Kit with both for $299. I think I can do that, or start with the LC-1 and add the SSI-4 later if needed. But 400 to 600 dollars for some of this stuff? Stupid money! I drive a Jeep. I'm not rich, especially with gas headed up to $5.

Thanks!

Jerry
atias
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by atias »

i have the AEM UEGO and its a very good tool,but you can only tune the AFR with a map adjuster at WOT.
the ecu will trim the rest after the warmup when it gets to closed loop
and you probably gonna need 24lbs injectors depends on your build
Sharp Rock
Donator
Donator

Post by Sharp Rock »

atias wrote:i have the AEM UEGO and its a very good tool,but you can only tune the AFR with a map adjuster at WOT.
the ecu will trim the rest after the warmup when it gets to closed loop
and you probably gonna need 24lbs injectors depends on your build
Yep! Thanks. Got that. And I'm ordering the MAP adjuster from Leigh Performance Machine (strokedjeep.com). Shopping for the injectors now too.

Thanks!

Jerry
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Muad'Dib »

Unless you have a crazy build or feel the need to log every step where your AFR changes you dont need an expensive wideband that logs RPM as well as AFR. We just dont have the need for it.

I also have the AEM and its a great unit.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Sharp Rock
Donator
Donator

Post by Sharp Rock »

Muad'Dib wrote:Unless you have a crazy build or feel the need to log every step where your AFR changes you dont need an expensive wideband that logs RPM as well as AFR. We just dont have the need for it.

I also have the AEM and its a great unit.

And that is exactly the "practical experience" clearly stated I was looking for. I shall reconsider.

Thanks so much! :cheers:

Jerry
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

I have a Daytona sensors Wego and it logs RPM, AFR and one additional input (I have TPS to mine IIRC). Its also nice to have a wideband to see if there is anything wrong with the AFR. When you start playing with injectors it also helps to see if that is really the correct size for your engine.